Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ryan Air wnt to charge for using toilets in flight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ryan Air have said that they want to charge £1 for using toilets inflight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7914542.stm

Does anyone else think that this is completely ridiculos plus un sanitary (I actually went back to check the date of the article that it wasnt' april the first).....

Comments

• Options
    MWAHAHAHAHAHA I will NEVER fly RyanAir again - nothing, I tell you NOTHING would make me succumb to schadenfreude quicker than seeing a penniless Michael O'Leary begging under a bus shelter - the man is the scum.
  • Options
    I can't bring myself to use flight toliets anyway.
  • Options
    I wonder how many people will just go in the corner as a protest before they decide to recind - i mean its OK if your on a short flight bue what if you get delayed on the ground or on a flight over an hour.

I am sad enough that i checked the UN Convention on Human Rights but oddly and perhaps an oversight the right to access decent sanitary arrangements does not appear.
  • Options
    The first time and only time I flew RyanAir I can tell you that I never ever felt like such a human pound sign. Scratch cards, trickets, £3.00 peanuts, it's like a flying greed machine.

I only learned after I got off the plane and back to my computer, what an insufferable cunt the man is to his staff, business colleagues, passengers and anyone around him.

Seriously, if his business collapses and he's an abject failure, I will be there gleefully applauding with a 'lol' and a 'wave', like this :lol: :wave:
  • Options
    I think O'Leary is saying that if you pay £1 for the toilet, you can be charged (for instance) £1 less for your flight. The idea is to add charges to superfluous items and bring down the cost of the flight itself.

I'll shit in the sick bag myself - unless he plans charging for them too!
  • Options
    While it seems bad that they charge hilarious amounts of money for small things, you have to look at the TOTAL price that you pay for flights. Yes, the service isn't always good, sometimes straightforward crap, but then again which other airliner offers flights for the same price (given that you just don't buy tickets the day before as that can be bloody exp. with any airliner)?

I'd still use Ryanair if it came down to paying for loo visits, how many times do you really have to go for a short flight provided you haven't got any conditions?

Yes, peanuts and chocolate and beer and other amenities is pricey, but buy them beforehand. It's not really harder than that.
  • Options
    According to the radio this was overturned almost immediately after the announcement.
  • Options
    When I first heard that train stations in places like London and Manchester charge you 20p to go to the toilet, I thought that was taking the... well, you know what the expression is. I wouldn't be especially keen handing over £1 every single time I needed to go to the bog - just imagine how expensive it would be if you had the shits whilst on that flight...

Then again, if people refuse to pay the £1 in question, what would be the alternative? You can hardly open a window, stick your arse out - perhaps use your hands to seperate your butt cheeks :p - and take a crap into the Irish Sea, can you?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Then again, if people refuse to pay the £1 in question, what would be the alternative? You can hardly open a window, stick your arse out - perhaps use your hands to seperate your butt cheeks :p - and take a crap into the Irish Sea, can you?

:lol:
  • Options
    See this was on BBC news this morning and I'm sure the chap meant it as a joke, but the reporter took him seriously so he just played along with it for a while, probably knowing that it would be great advertising.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    When I first heard that train stations in places like London and Manchester charge you 20p to go to the toilet, I thought that was taking the... well, you know what the expression is.

Helps keeps the facilities clean and stops the vermin chavs trashing it. I can't see the problem myself.......
  • Options
    O'Leary is one of the biggest cunts around, and his airline is despicable. I've heard too many stories about flights cancelled without notice, and people left stranded abroad and being offered fuck all help.

I've never flown them and have no intention to. Easyjet is as no-frills as I'm prepared to go. When I fly to a place I like to land in the vicinity of the city I'm visiting, not 60 miles away as Ryanair often does.

He treats his staff like shit as well. Infamously he won't even allow employees to recharge their mobile phones at work, for all the 0.2p is going to cost the company.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Helps keeps the facilities clean and stops the vermin chavs trashing it. I can't see the problem myself.......
    Oh, I agree with you nowadays. I just thought it was ridiculous when I came across it initially.
  • Options
    Oh, I agree with you nowadays. I just thought it was ridiculous when I came across it initially.
    And its 30p now!

Staff don't pay though ;)
  • Options
    if i was going away and a ryanair flight was say £30 - £50 cheaper than the alternative then i wouldnt mind paying a quid to use the bog, only if i got the ticket at a cheap price though
  • Options

But peanilises those of us who are unfortunate to have bladder and bowel issues and can't wait. I think that is ridiculous.
  • Options
    But it means you can use clean, fresh facilities that are staffed 24/7 and don't have graffiti everywhere and aren't being permanantly set on fire.

From what I understand if someone explains they have an issue and have no money to pay they are often let in for free.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    But peanilises those of us who are unfortunate to have bladder and bowel issues and can't wait. I think that is ridiculous.

Oh get a grip. Don't fly with ryanair then. Even if you have to go 3 times in one flight thats... *gasp* £3 quid. Probably still cheaper than rival airlines.

It's BUDGET. What the fuck do you expect? They're a business, they can make the rules. If you don't like it, don't fly with them
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Oh get a grip. Don't fly with ryanair then. Even if you have to go 3 times in one flight thats... *gasp* £3 quid. Probably still cheaper than rival airlines.

It's BUDGET. What the fuck do you expect? They're a business, they can make the rules. If you don't like it, don't fly with them

:rolleyes: FFS, I was only saying.
  • Options
    She does have a point though. Because of dehydration most people only visit the loos a couple of times short haul anyway. Compare that £2 in the fact that your flight was probably £50 cheaper than the alternative and you're still £48 better off.
  • Options

I think everyone is entitled to a minimum standards of customer service and not to be treated like cattle. I don't go into fast food restaurants but if I did I would not be expected to be charged for going to the loo, or for using a tray to take my food to a table. Would you?

Going to the toilet is a basic human necessity. Only a cunt could possibly think of charging for that inside an aeroplane.

Then there is also the issue of misleading advertising and false economies. Bearing in mind that only a fraction of all seats actually go for the much talked about £1 fares, you might end up with savings of £30 or £40 over the likes of BA. When you add up food, drinks, £12+ for checked-in luggage, £2 for checking in at the airport and the extra cost involved in flying to and from airports that can be many, many miles further away from your destination than the airports used by rival companies, suddenly your bargain ticket becomes rather pricey. The last thing long-suffering passengers need is the indignity of being charged £1 to use the toilet as well.

Given the reaction to the news, I can only imagine the charge will not be implemented and the idea will cost O'Leary a bit money in lost revenue in the short term as well, as some would-be customers decide they'd rather pay extra after all and not be treated like livestock on its way to the slaughterhouse.
  • Options
    The point of a budget airline is to minimise costs as perfectly as possible and the customer who sits in their seat and does nothing the entire journey is their perfect customer.

I don't see why other customers with more demanding needs should be accomodated at the cost of other customers. If the airline can get that minority of customers to pay for their extra demands, e.g. excess baggage, a couple of beers or even toilet uses then the airline has done its job. It is charging each customer closer to their needs than many other companies in any other marke can and they should be commended for it.
  • Options
    A publicity stunt comes to mind
  • Options
    And its 30p now!

Staff don't pay though ;)

Do disabled people with radar keys pay for the disabled toilets too? They're meant to be locked to stop able bodied people using them (hence the key) - doesn't stop them though.
  • Options
    Not on railway stations - persons with RADAR keys are always allowed to use the facilites free on railway stations whether the facilities require a RADAR key or not.

At some stations rail staff are given other keys (not RADAR) to access disabled toilets when no other facilities are available.
  • Options
    you get what you pay for. Ryanair is a scummy airline, but i'd rather pay £60 for a return flight to Spain than pay £150+ that Monarch etc charge.
  • Options
    People should just start pissing in those wax coated puke bags...
  • Options
    Yes a big part of my original worry about the whole thing wasn't me per se but what other people would get up to which could make the planes really disgusting...
  • Options
    I seriously don't see the problem. The flights are cheap, that's why the service is a bit shit and you have to pay for the toilets. If you don't like it, fly BA and stop complaining! Seems like people want to have their cake and eat it. If you pay half the price for the fare don't expect a fantastic service. Seems pretty obvious to me?
  • Options
    I seriously don't see the problem. The flights are cheap, that's why the service is a bit shit and you have to pay for the toilets. If you don't like it, fly BA and stop complaining! Seems like people want to have their cake and eat it. If you pay half the price for the fare don't expect a fantastic service. Seems pretty obvious to me?
    I don't know if you ever go, but if you went into a McDonalds/BK/KFC etc to have something to eat and they told you from now on everyone had to pay £1, you'd think fair do??

Christ. You are a selfish corporate man's best dream!