Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Racism on the forum.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
/

Comments

• Options
    /
  • Options
    if that was aimed at me, then i feel like i have to repeat myself.

i was stating a fact that our country is strained as it is to support people and we should not have to feel responsible to other people in the world.

Many of our problems in fact stem from people from the British Isles, for example, the government should admit that the reason teachers are leaving is not because of poor pay, but because children are making their lives hell because of increased poverty meaning they are not as well disciplined, ie don't have the same opportunities as others from more fortunate backgrounds.

Until we make our country function well to a reasonable extent, we cannot give these people the asylum they need.

Thank you!!!!
  • Options
    I agree with you PussyKatty, 100%.
  • Options
    Originally posted by leese
    if that was aimed at me, then i feel like i have to repeat myself.

i was stating a fact that our country is strained as it is to support people and we should not have to feel responsible to other people in the world.

That is the most selfish thing I have ever heard in my entire life.
    I hope nothing ba ever happend in this country, because if it did and other nations emulated your opinion then we wouldn't stand a chance!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

I hope nothing ba ever happend in this country, because if it did and other nations emulated your opinion then we wouldn't stand a chance!

If you and you child were starving, would you give your last loaf of bread to someone else out of a sense of morality?
  • Options

Oh, for Christ's sake!

Fact is, like it or lump it, we are supposed to be this great nation, better than loads of others blah blah blah blah. That is why people want to come here for asylum. However, we have a lot of problems of our own at the moment, both internal - NHS, education etc. And what about our old people. They are constantly treated like second class citizens and find their benefits increasingly difficult to live on. As well as external problems, the threat of terrorism seems to be rearing its ugly head again.

I think its time that we focussed on these problems, which lets fact it are not getting better, and the government knows that. When there was a big furore about transport, the government covered it up with the fox hunting story which lets face it, cruel as it is, affects a very small amount of people compared to transport. The government needs to face up to these major problems befoere we can consider offering asylum to other people

*catches breath*
  • Options
    I think that this countrys government has billions of pounds and that there are NOT millions of people living in poverty. Pensioners have a minimum income guarantee, people can get all kinds of benefits.
    Many of our problems in fact stem from people from the British Isles, for example, the government should admit that the reason teachers are leaving is not because of poor pay, but because children are making their lives hell because of increased poverty meaning they are not as well disciplined, ie don't have the same opportunities as others from more fortunate backgrounds.

What does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that because some parents have less money that they don't teach their kids how to behave? I don't really see what this has anything to do with the discussion. I believe that people do have the same opportunities in general, ok you can't go to private school if your parents are on minimum wage but you can still go to uni and get a good job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

If you and you child were starving, would you give your last loaf of bread to someone else out of a sense of morality?

Wtf?

I had a full relpy typed out, but I've deleted it because that isn't even worth one.
  • Options

Wtf?

I had a full relpy typed out, but I've deleted it because that isn't even worth one.

Excuse me?

Interesting way of avoiding the question.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth
    Leese shut up will you, i really cant stand you at all, most of your posts i have seen have pissed me and other people off...

We're strained to cope with them? how do you work that out? what do you base that on, give some facts or at least reasons to back up your opinions...

Oh, come on. The government readily admits the health service is in crisis, and i am sure if you ask any person and they'll know of someone, particularly the elderly who has been treated badly by the service. We are supposed to have a free health service, but if you want to get treated at all well, you have to go private.

Teachers are in great shortage, note the constant campaign and incentives, therefore educational standards can only fall.

As I said before, many elderly people are living in poverty.

Crime rates are rising etc etc.

Now, these may be acceptable in many countries, but we're supposed to be one of the great nations believe it or not and that is why people want to live here. Unfortunately we seem to be on a downward spiral. Mainly because the government wants to seem like its going to save the world when, like it or not, its priority is to us.

These asylum seekers do have terrible problems in their country, and it makes me sick to my gut that psychotic bastards get to rule, but they do. And taking people away from the country isnt going to solve their problems. That can only come from within the country itself.
  • Options
    /
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    I don't think this country is in crisis. Of course some people have bad stories about the NHS. However millions have a good experience, it's just there is no story in a good story. NHS in crisis makes a far better headline than "Lady praises health services".

I see where you're coming from, it is exaggerated, but I know people that work in the education and health services, and things are far from fine....
  • Options
    Ilson, you confuse me. Look at your first and second post, you seem to change your mind :confused:

I know there are many asylum seekers which upsets people. But there are many more in Germany (as a percentage, obviously there are more because Germany is a larger place). But the media like to whip up a frenzy (which obviously works). I don't think this country is in crisis. Of course some people have bad stories about the NHS. However millions have a good experience, it's just there is no story in a good story. NHS in crisis makes a far better headline than "Lady praises health services".

i see your point but its not necessarily true. I live in an area where resources are particularly strained, and they are planning to bring 1500 asylum seekers here. In principle, I have no objection but when you see these problems first hand like I have rather than from a newspaper page ( and we know how sensationalist they are!) then you see things slightly differently.
  • Options
    Asylum applications in 2001

UK - 88,300
    Germany - 88,365

Numbers from the UN high commissioner for refugees..
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alistair

I see where you're coming from, it is exaggerated, but I know people that work in the education and health services, and things are far from fine....

that's true, and while things may not be awful at the moment it is the future that we have to think about. This shortage of teachers is only going to get more apparent with the next generation etc
  • Options
    Asylum applications in 2001

UK - 88,300
    Germany - 88,365

Numbers from the UN high commissioner for refugees..

I always thought Germany's was a lot higher, but only 65.
    That's not mentioning the larger proportion who escape the authorities completely.
  • Options
    Ok whatever. Knew somebody would be running off to find a statistic. My point is that it's not just the UK that takes asylum seekers. Maybe it is popular because it is far away, is an island and has a good reputation as a free country with opportunities.

I have seen these problems first hand and not just from a newspaper. I live in Birmingham, at my college about half the students were ESOL students, many of whom were refugees/asylum seekers. I went out with one and my friend is engaged to a man from Kosovo.

If you have a problem with government policy, do something about it, don't take it out on these people. If you were in their situation, would you stay in a war stricken country or go somewhere better?
  • Options
    I personally think we have to many for illegal immigrants and should have tighter rules of not letting them slip into England. And the once that are in fear of there lives should be let in as long as they can give something back to England, a lot of them are free loaders that don't even try and work.

The one that are in England shouldn't be put in one place but spread around the UK, No more then 150 in one town, maybe 300 in a city because you have anymore then they end up coursing trouble and fighting, Just look at London

Also Ilson-Youth read the Sun and you see about Sangatte, it was a nice sleepy town in France but after the red cross opened a departure lounge for illegal immigrants the little town turned in to what can only be described as a shit hole!

Now they plan to open a few in England I can wait for that can you?

asylum seekers are different but we still have to many trying to get into England, You refuse to let them in and then they try sneaking in, You can win.

this is only my own view
  • Options
    . If you were in their situation, would you stay in a war stricken country or go somewhere better? [/B]

It's not as simple as that, thus the controversy.
  • Options
    If you have a problem with government policy, do something about it, don't take it out on these people. If you were in their situation, would you stay in a war stricken country or go somewhere better?

Exactly!

I would not give them a full loaf, but I might share it, not out of a sense of morality, but out of a sense of compassion. :)

However, I have more than a loaf of bread, I have a house, TV, plenty of food, go to the pictures every week, have a mobile phone, don't live in fear of persucution, etc etc. I have 1000s of things which some people do not. I am therefore, out of a sense of morality willing to give up a little bit in order to help people who are far less fortunate than I am.

In short, I am not starving, I am not poor, I am not tortured or under threat of death for having an opinion. Therefore your question is irrelevant.
  • Options
    I know it's not as simple as that, but it is worth imagining if it was YOU who had to leave your home to go to a strange country only to be met by hatred.

Pictures of young men trying to force their way into the country does pisss people off, of course it does and these people should stay in France like you say. Europe should share resources and spread these people around fairly.
  • Options
    you'd think after all this time we would have resolved many of the race issues, being in the modern age that we are. But recently things have been going bad again
  • Options
    As PussyKatty says, it is best to imagine yourself if their situation. I bet you wouldn't feel the same way then would you? No.

And yes, there are a lot of problems in this country, there always will be, nothing will change that. But, we don't have problems even half as bad as some nations, and should be thankful for that.

We should be thankful that we can say all of this without fear, that we can admit 'yes, this government needs to get its act together' without fear.

And, has there ever been a 'perfect' governement that pleased everybody and solved every problem Britain faces? No. And there never will be.
  • Options
    As PussyKatty says, it is best to imagine yourself if their situation. I bet you wouldn't feel the same way then would you? No.

And yes, there are a lot of problems in this country, there always will be, nothing will change that. But, we don't have problems even half as bad as some nations, and should be thankful for that.

We should be thankful that we can say all of this without fear, that we can admit 'yes, this government needs to get its act together' without fear.

And, has there ever been a 'perfect' governement that pleased everybody and solved every problem Britain faces? No. And there never will be.

yes, but another point i was making is that taking people from a dangerous country and putting them in a relatively safe one, isnt solving the problem, to be honest its doing very little in the grand scale of things. Now, no, I don't know how this could be solved but are we really splving anything in the long run
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilson-Youth

No, but what i believe he was getting at is, theres thousands of people that are starving, (me at the moment ;) ) are poor (again me)

but more seriously, walk the streets of our cities at nite, hundreds in each of them, starving, living on the streets under a newspaper...

They don't have too. There are places they can go and people they can see who will give them accomodation and will help them through the whole process.

The people who live like this either choose to do so (the majority of them [survery carried out by the Big Issue]) or do so because they do not know the alternatives or think that no-one would help them. In which case, I think the government should do something about that..... they should make it clear what is available. however, they are fighting a losing battle because they can't get to the homeless people in order to let them know what they can get!
  • Options

yes, but another point i was making is that taking people from a dangerous country and putting them in a relatively safe one

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options

In short, I am not starving, I am not poor, I am not tortured or under threat of death for having an opinion. Therefore your question is irrelevant.

Well shock horror!!!!!.....It was a metaphor and not meant to be taken literally..

YOU may well have your loaf of bread, and a lot more..Not everyone does. There are a lot of people in this country living in dire poverty. There are dozens of homeless people in my affluent, home counties town. There are single mums living in 1 room shitholes. There are pensioners living without heating.

And its getting worse every single day...Each and every one of our public services is in decline. This entire country is going down the toilet and needs to be dealt with...

They financial cost of asylum seekers is negligible but its the whole issue thats the problem..It takes up so much attention and makes people so angry, that nothing gets done. The poor bastards that live in the areas where our government 'dumps' these people are seeing their towns going down the toilet.

Im not against asylum seekers, im just against the fucking useless way the situation is handled here.
  • Options

They don't have too. There are places they can go and people they can see who will give them accomodation and will help them through the whole process.

The people who live like this either choose to do so (the majority of them [survery carried out by the Big Issue]) or do so because they do not know the alternatives or think that no-one would help them. In which case, I think the government should do something about that..... they should make it clear what is available. however, they are fighting a losing battle because they can't get to the homeless people in order to let them know what they can get!

I think elderly people living in poverty is a bigger scandal. These people have served their country, and many have little to show for it. And even if you dont believe this affects you, remember we will be old one day. It's the future we have to worry about.

Darn it im negative
  • Options

I think elderly people living in poverty is a bigger scandal. These people have served their country, and many have little to show for it.

Not all of them have served their country though. My grandmother for starters.

Long live old people. :)
  • Options

Well shock horror!!!!!.....It was a metaphor and not meant to be taken literally..

YOU may well have your loaf of bread, and a lot more..Not everyone does. There are a lot of people in this country living in dire poverty. There are dozens of homeless people in my affluent, home counties town. There are single mums living in 1 room shitholes. There are pensioners living without heating.

And its getting worse every single day...Each and every one of our public services is in decline. This entire country is going down the toilet and needs to be dealt with...

They financial cost of asylum seekers is negligible but its the whole issue thats the problem..It takes up so much attention and makes people so angry, that nothing gets done. The poor bastards that live in the areas where our government 'dumps' these people are seeing their towns going down the toilet.

Im not against asylum seekers, im just against the fucking useless way the situation is handled here.

*agrees - especially with the last sentance*