Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tongue piercings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i just wondering if any one got there tongue pierced does it hurt?how long for swelling go down?my bf dont want me get it i wanted it done for ages now i told him there loads advantages to it i had my eyebrow done years ago +belly button top+botom +ten tattoos too :yes:

Comments

• Options
    It sounds painful but i havent had it done :P
  • Options
    (wrong section, should really be in style and appearance)

tongue is a difficult one, its not something i'd have done due to the number of arteries and nerve endings near by.

the swelling for my lip when down with 48 hours, i'm guessing it would be the same for tongue. if your eyebrow was painful, it will hurt a lot more than that. I don't have a problem with the pain, infact thats half the reason i get the piercings in the first place. if you've had that number of tattoos, i doubt you should have much of a problem with your tongue.

and why listen to your boyfriend? if you wanna get it done, just go and do it!
  • Options
    Hi twisted trinity yeah i relised after i posted it sorry xi heard it can take up to 2weeks swelling +my eyebrow didnt really hurt to be honest i just had a big tattoo done leg ankle+foot that hurt ouch it gorg though wel worth the pain i know it what my mum+dad would say realy lol
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Hey, I had my tongue pierced. I genuinely mean this...it did not hurt at all!! The piercer I went to said he didnt want to numb it, as he didnt think it was necessary...so much so it would have cost an extra £5.

Make sure you go to a really good place, it is vital as it is such a delicate area. I went to a huge department store for mine.

Dont listen to your bf, its up to you. Would he listen to you if he wanted a tattoo that you didnt like?

The swelling went down after about 3 days, and fully back to normal after a week. But I suppose it varies from person to person. Just a warning though, its hard to eat, but you must try. Dont have just soup like some people say. Have normal food but just take tiny mouthfuls and chew very carefully. But dont eat spicy food as it can irritate it.
  • Options
    please don't tell me you went to that place in selfridges? i've heard some really bad stuff about them from good friends.
  • Options
    Hey hey!

I got my tongue pierced and before I did everyone said it didn't hurt - at all. All fairness aside, obviously you feel something - to me, it felt like biting my tongue. Everyone knows what that feels like - sharp and painful in a very brief kind of way. Yeah, just like biting your tongue only that sharpness lasts a few seconds longer. It's nothing unbearable or OMG THIS HURTS, it's just an unusual feeling as the tongue is such a sensitive area. Though many will tell you... it's not so much the actual piercing that sticks in their mind, more the few days after it. Everyone's different, but that swollen feeling and the fact that it's difficult to eat solids made three days a living nightmare for me. After that it was plain sailing and learning how to stick my tongue out again, because that became so hard to do. It heals really fast so it's okay but it's definitely not a piercing i'd ever have done again. My lip - had it done 3 times due to a few 'issues' and I could get it done again if I wanted, but the tongue... uh-uh, no thanks. My mate has hers done twice and all I can say is she's a brave woman. I love and cherish solid food!!!!!!! In fact I cherish more after my tongue piercing :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your comments i appricate it i dont know yet if i have it done ill let u know+how it went id have it done where ave my tattoos done it costs 25quid :wave:
  • Options
    not sure if you're talking about this place but a few of my friends have had it done at stefs and they've been fine :)

but the best place i think is skinvasion on the top floor of afflecks palace in manchester, i have all mine done there. i couldnt advise on the tongue one though because when i went to have it done, he wasnt happy about doing it because the vein underneath my tongue (dont know what its called, the one that connects it to your mouth!) is too close to the front of my tongue so he said there wouldnt be enough room, and it'd just cause me problems. i was really grateful because i think some piercers would just do it for the money.

anyways im rambling on. my sister had hers pierced and she said it only hurt for about a week after having it done, and its been in for 4 years now no problems. :)
  • Options
    :wave: hi nice to see someone from bolton yeah i dnt like stefs u know the tat shop futher down i got there i might get it done next month im not sure yet
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    please don't tell me you went to that place in selfridges? i've heard some really bad stuff about them from good friends.

No it was Lewis' in Liverpool
  • Options
    Make sure you do it from a very good place.. it hurts a bit... i did it a year back n believe me it takes time to get used to it.. so be ready...
  • Options
    Make sure you do it from a very good place.. it hurts a bit... i did it a year back n believe me it takes time to get used to it.. so be ready...

Hi thanks for your comment i do realy want it done just what my mum+dad say ha ha +when the sweling gone down+healed i try get smal bar if have it done the swelling im concerned with:chin:
  • Options
    but the best place i think is skinvasion on the top floor of afflecks palace in manchester,

i had my belly button pierced there.

i didn't like the piercer though :no:
  • Options
    I was too big of wuss to eat anything but pudding and soup for over a week and then when I took it out (I think I had it for maybe 5 years?) I got a skin tag and there was pain around it and then I had to get that removed. Oooooo (Hey, every piercing needs a horror story... as unhorific as that one was)

The swelling will go down in a couple days as has been said and you could possibly ask the piercer to change it to a smaller bar after a couple weeks. The original one they give you is huge!
  • Options
    Hi thanks 4 advice if i get it done ill let u all know x:yes: :wave:
  • Options
    Well im going get it done tommorow if i can or tuesday.Fuck what my b.f or mum+dad say aint it let u know how i get on i just hope i dont swell loads
  • Options
    have lots of ice, and nothing spicy, acidic or vinagary to eat or drink...

you should be fine....

some people say to take ibuprophen as well, i don't think you really should need to but do if you want.

Just remember the mouth wash after every meal and snack and anything thats not water.
  • Options
    Thanks hun i will.i'll have go buy sum mouthwash.If i get done tommorow if i can at least got 5 days before work.
  • Options
    Ive had it done at stefs god it feels wierd cant wait get smaller bar
  • Options
    Aj fan wrote: »
    Ive had it done at stefs god it feels wierd cant wait get smaller bar

yeah it feels massive at first doesnt it! my friend has that massive bar in all the time because her tongue is so huge! did you think it hurts?
  • Options
    yeah it feels massive at first doesnt it! my friend has that massive bar in all the time because her tongue is so huge! did you think it hurts?

God how does she manage wit that bar it doing my head in it didnt hurt hurt my eyes watered though.And god i aint eat hardly anything just suck ice lolly at mo. Only prob dnt know if normal it sting+sore at front of my tongue like sensitive
    Only way described when u burn your tongue and it goes sore like that .
  • Options
    Hi guys well im geting used to it.my tongue didnt swell swell its the soreness at front what realy hurt it geting better 5days on i been using bonjela it been that sore:yes:I finaly eat solidsyesterday :yippe: On a plus i lost 6ib in 4days woo hoo.Can't wait for my smaller bar monday
  • Options
    I used to want my done but now I have really gone off them. They can look really shit on some people...like me :rolleyes:
  • Options
    "+belly button top+botom"QUOTE]

Basically I want to get my belly button done. Did it hurt when you got your? Basically the same questions you asked about the Tongue?
  • Options
    My belloy button didn't hurt. But as I have found out my body doesn't like peircings so it was the months afterwards it hurt :crying:
  • Options
    Coz I really want to get me belly button done but I just don't want it to hurt.
  • Options
    I had a freeze spray on mine when I had it done and it didn;t hurt. You could just feel him messing bout there.
  • Options
    "+belly button top+botom"QUOTE]

Basically I want to get my belly button done. Did it hurt when you got your? Basically the same questions you asked about the Tongue?

:wave: no didnt hurt at all when i had bottom done it stung abit that it x
  • Options
    Thats good then.
    You know when they do the belly button how do they do it I know they use a needle but that is it.
  • Options
    When I had mine done I couldn't reall see it properly as I was la back in the reclining chair and tried not to look. I know he used a clamp to pull the skin out and used a needle. I think he may have used a little placstic tube over the needle so he could take the needle out then the plastic kept the hole open. Put the bar through the plastic then took it out.