Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

moving to canada...

hypothetical situation...

would you be willing to move to the other side of the world with your man if you KNEW he was the right man for you?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yes
  • Options
    as easy as that though? leaving your whole life behind...friends, family, career...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yes. I considered it for a while.

But my situation was / is different to yours :)
  • Options
    i have thought about for a while,
    he was going to be moving to america and he asked if i would come, he said its completely my choice and he'd respect whatever i said.

i already live 120 miles from my family and friends and im fine.

ive moved around alot in my life, im used to it.

anyways, he ended up not going so we're still here
  • Options
    Yup. To be honest, it wouldn't be a massive decision for me because my relationship with my family isn't amazing.

We might be moving to Australia, actually, after I've got my degree and I've earned a bit of money.
  • Options
    Rob mentioned moving to France and it's something I'd love to do one day. I don't think it's as big a risk as going to Canada because France is quite near.
    Most importantly. Do you want to move to Canada?
  • Options
    Yes. I totally would.
    I think my family would love it cause they could come and stay! I get to see them so rarely as it is.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Yup. To be honest, it wouldn't be a massive decision for me because my relationship with my family isn't amazing.

We might be moving to Australia, actually, after I've got my degree and I've earned a bit of money.

Oh hiya! I might stop by to visit! :p
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Haha, go right ahead :D. It's not a definite but even my mum told me to go for it so we're definitely thinking about it :).
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    In a heartbeat

Same
  • Options
    Haha, go right ahead :D. It's not a definite but even my mum told me to go for it so we're definitely thinking about it :).

Sweeet!
  • Options
    I would require a lot more information to base my decision on.

It depends on what the bloke would be doing there and if I could do my job in the future country. I would find it hard to do just something only to follow a guy.

I've however worked hard to end up where I am today. It's about 18-24 months until I could move countries more easily to do my job.

I'd however always take the time to consider all options in full seriousness. I want to move abroad myself sometime. :)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I would require a lot more information to base my decision on.

It depends on what the bloke would be doing there and if I could do my job in the future country. I would find it hard to do just something only to follow a guy.

I've however worked hard to end up where I am today. It's about 18-24 months until I could move countries more easily to do my job.

I'd however always take the time to consider all options in full seriousness. I want to move abroad myself sometime. :)

I don't think I do. I love this country and I'd miss it like hell. Unless, of course, I replaced the highland hills for some Canadian ones. It's the wild that I'd miss. Oh the highlands...

But yeah, I'm nowhere near a stable enough condition to consider anything like this. I'm having hard enough time deciding about moving cities.
  • Options
    I could. But it would also depend on the country though, afterall, if I was to go to a country that speaks another language that isn't English - and I don't know any of the language, I don't think I could quite as easily. I'd want to at least perfect my language before moving there. I don't think I could cope! (That's even coming from someone that hardly talks a lot anyway!)

Freinds, family wise etc wouldn't really bother me much, I'm not as close to any of them now. All living their own lives.
  • Options

i have a 4 year old sister though. i'd hate to miss out on her growing up :(

me and my fella are thinking of moving to australia when we are older (as in 15 -20 years away). he is australian so wouldn't need a visa to move back over there and if we married, neither would i :) australia is really far away too though. i get home sick just going away for the weekend!
  • Options
    Most importantly. Do you want to move to Canada?

i dont think i do, no.

i love him though.

just so confused :(
  • Options
    i dont think i do, no.

i love him though.

just so confused :(

ah I assumed it would be soon! If it's 15/20 years time then you have plenty of time :) Make him take you on hol there in the mean time!
  • Options
    Must admit it is a tough one....when all your family and friends are here and to leave them behind is a very big decision.

I hope that you are able to choose what is right for you and him.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ah I assumed it would be soon! If it's 15/20 years time then you have plenty of time

Australia would be 15/20 years time - by the sounds of it Canada would be a lot sooner.
  • Options
    oh whoops, completely misread

is he wanting to move immediately? you guys haven't been together that long have you? i think it'd be unfair to expect you to make such a big decision asap. if you don't want to go then don't.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    No - I dont think I could leave my family and everything I know here, not permanantly anyway.
  • Options
    oh whoops, completely misread

is he wanting to move immediately? you guys haven't been together that long have you? i think it'd be unfair to expect you to make such a big decision asap. if you don't want to go then don't.

it would probably be next year.

we have been together 7 months but like i say, i know he's the one.
  • Options
    i dont know. It would depend on other things.

I would love to do it but i have a school-age son that would mean uprooting him, and an ex husband that would probably put up a fight if i tried to take my son away
  • Options
    I would not go if I didn't want to. Where you want to live is every bit as important as where he wants to, so there's gotta be some compromise there.

I wouldn't move abroad atm (although I think it'd be awesome) because I come from a big, close family and wouldn't be happy to leave them. I couldn't be with someone who didn't understand that.
  • Options
    I was given the choice of a life in denmark with someone i know is the one or stay at home in england - took me 2 hours of consideration!
  • Options
    It sounds like you don't want to go to Canada, so that pretty much answers the question.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    Me too Franki? hehe only joking
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I would not go if I didn't want to. Where you want to live is every bit as important as where he wants to, so there's gotta be some compromise there.

Compromise between here and Canada would be mid Atlantic hehe.
  • Options
    No I could not just move to another country and leave my family, as much as I would love to go and live abroad, my very small family are all I have and are important to me as I am to them. Maybe when my parents have passed away then I would consider it. Only you know if its the right thing to do, go with your gut instinct about it.
  • Options
    Yes I probably would as if I was truly in love with them then I couldn't bear to be apart form them. And I would probably find moving to another country exciting anyway.

Saying that, 7 months isn't a long enough time to make a proper decision as you are probably still in the honeymon period. Moving to another country is very stressful and I think you would need to be in a very secure and stable relationship to get through it. The excitement of moving away would soon wear off when you have to deal with finding a job and missing your friends and having to make new friends.