Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cat with a killing obsessions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My sadistic cat keeps killing baby birds. What can I do? If they're obviously going to die, I let her kill them properly so they don't suffer, but sometimes she just bats them around like a toy while they're breathing. It's horrible and I know it's just natural and all that but what's best to do? Any way of stopping her getting them in the first place?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Keep her inside?
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Keep her inside?

Your so smart :flirt:
  • Options
    why not leave her to it? if they're out of the next something else is going to get them.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It's a normal cat tbh.Its what cats do. They're quite good at it. Just sit and watch the amazing predator at work...

Or alternatley, erm... I have no idea. Its what they do. Keeping the cat indoors is cruel. You could follow it around and scare away any birds.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    my_name wrote:
    Your so smart :flirt:
    I so am!
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me why I hate cats... :yuck:

Keeping it inside is the obvious answer but not ideal. Not much else you can do really; it's just nature, red in tooth and claw.
  • Options
    As cruel as it may look, it is totally natural, cats are incredible predator and unless you want it in all the time I suggest you just let it be... it's probably loving it...
  • Options
    Collar with a bell? Although be careful with a collar if she is the adventurous type because they can get stuck on things like fences and trees.
  • Options
    File its claws down?
  • Options
    collar with a bells a good idea because then hopefully the birds would hear the cat coming and fly away. guess it might be different if theyre babys though...
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    collar with a bells a good idea because then hopefully the birds would hear the cat coming and fly away. guess it might be different if theyre babys though...
    Babybells? :lol:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Dress up like big bird from sesame street and start knocking the cat about a bit... might teach it a lesson!
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote:
    Dress up like big bird from sesame street and start knocking the cat about a bit... might teach it a lesson!
    LMFAO! Totally my nomination for POTW!
  • Options
    Found this
    Well-fed Cats Do Kill Birds: Well-fed cats kill birds and other wildlife because the hunting instinct is independent of the urge to eat. In one study, six cats were presented with a live small rat while eating their preferred food. All six cats stopped eating the food, killed the rat, and then resumed eating the food.

Cats With Bells on Their Collars Do Kill Birds: Studies have shown that bells on collars are not effective in preventing cats from killing birds or other wildlife. Birds do not necessarily associate the sound of a bell with danger, and cats with bells can learn to silently stalk their prey. Bells offer no protection for helpless nestlings and fledglings

Cats are not ultimately responsible for killing our native wildlife--people are. The only way to prevent domestic cat predation on wildlife is for owners to keep their cats indoors!

I disagree with the last sentence I think it'd be mean. Umm all you can do really is attempt to save the lil birdie when you see it in danger.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Found this

I disagree with the last sentence I think it'd be mean. Umm all you can do really is attempt to save the lil birdie when you see it in danger.

Indeed. Cats inside = cruel. Declawing = cruel. Cats kill, get over it. Humans kill too.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Cats With Bells on Their Collars Do Kill Birds

To be fair, when we gave one of our last cats a collar with a bell on it, it didn't bring in any birds again. Used to be quite funny, now and again you'd hear commotion from the field behind our last house, and a bell tinkling like mad. The cat always came back looking grumpily at us :p
  • Options
    Negative and positive encouragement at a young age? We had stern words with our cat when she did it originally, never did it again. I just realised she died about a year ago :( sucks
  • Options
    Negative and positive encouragement at a young age? We had stern words with our cat when she did it originally, never did it again. I just realised she died about a year ago :( sucks
    Yeah.

My cat ignored everything we told it about killing birdies and mices. However, after a stern word... it learnt never to pee on that batroom carpet bit by the sink again (It must have been confused, 'cos the carpet we had at the time looked like grass)
  • Options
    The best thing to do, which isnt cruel is to keep your cat in overnight, thats when their hunting instinct is at its highest and if they are inside during this time their hunting feelings decrease.
  • Options
    my cat is a bugger for this. he has a bell yet still manages to bring things. he is in utter disgrace if he kills a mole or a baby bunny tho :(
  • Options
    If u cant cope with the killing you shouldnt have a cat

Its a normal behaviour, preventing it is cruel in itself.
  • Options
    my cat is a bugger for this. he has a bell yet still manages to bring things. he is in utter disgrace if he kills a mole or a baby bunny tho :(

:lol: My mums old cat used to like bringing home hamsters and guine pigs. Think of all the little children with broken hearts :lol:

Ah, cats are funny. I like how they bring home big things like rabbits or pidgeons... I mean, dragging that effing weight.... it's as big as the cat! So give it a stroke, and tell it what a good hunter it is before dropping dead animal into the bin.
  • Options
    I dont hugely mind my cats bringing home something dead, but I'd rather not have to smash another birds head in to finish it off.
  • Options
    I dont mind dead things, it wasn't very nice when I slept over at my girlfriends though, we got up in the morning and on the passageway floor was blood and entrails. Like, the stomach had quite nicely been left, but the bones, head, tails, everything was gone. I think it was the stomach anyway....