Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Woolworths going into administration

More bad news from the high street. Says the Beeb; "High Street legend Woolworths has buckled under its debt and is set to go into administration, BBC business editor Robert Peston has learned. The move will put tens of thousands of jobs at its 815 stores under threat. The board of Woolies - one of the UK's oldest store groups - is meeting since 1800 GMT to take the formal decision. Deloitte will be appointed as administrators to the store chain and also to Entertainment UK, which supplies DVDs to supermarket groups." Click here for more info.

Another one bites the dust, it seems. I know people who work at our local Woolies - they're pretty nervous tonight, to say the least. :( But I can't say I'm that surprised by this. I remember visiting Woolworths as a child during the 90s. I used to love going in there. Sweets, toys, music, books - it had pretty much everything that I could want as a kid. When I went there as it was approaching Christmas, I used to see people walking out with massive bags full of toys. My parents say they must have spent thousands of pounds at Woolies over the years. Nowadays, whenever I visit, the store has hardly any customers and is filled with bored staff. Where did it all go wrong for Woolies?

On a side note, I've got one other question. Perhaps someone can help me answer it. Some of the biggest companies around are reporting serious problems. Nearly all our banks have had billions wiped off their value in the past year, shops are saying that sales are down - they're predicting the worst Christmas for 25 years, by all accounts. The only group in the retail sector which doesn't seem to have been affected too badly by the credit crunch is the supermarkets. Can anyone explain why?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The only group in the retail sector which doesn't seem to have been affected too badly by the credit crunch is the supermarkets. Can anyone explain why?

Cause people still need to eat pretty much. Most retail companies sell 'luxuries', the supermarkets are one of only a few sectors which sell necessary products.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only group in the retail sector which doesn't seem to have been affected too badly by the credit crunch is the supermarkets. Can anyone explain why?

Cos people still need to eat?
  • Options
    So are Mfi going into administration....woolworths have over 25,000 workers. Not good for those who are employed by the company.

Well not an economical expert here but with the mention of supermarkets...food is always going to be a need. Banks in my opinion took on too many people wanting mortgages or loans so they suffering because people are not able to pay back their debts...?

I think that all companies are feeling the pinch.
  • Options
    I used to rely on Woolies for Cadburys' Créme Eggs. Disappointed I was to learn in May 2008 that they are a so-called "seasonal" product. Never in my 30 years of existance have I been told that before!
  • Options
    Really sad news... I've always liked Woolies, always thought it's pretty good value too. Terrible news for staff, jobs are def going to be lost - the govt needs to make sure people get paid still OK, staff at Kwik Save lost wages from what I remember. I really hope there can be some kind of rescue package...it would be such a shame for Woolies to completely disappear. The business still takes a huge amount of money and some parts of it are profitable, it would be a waste to not rescue part of the business. If we can spend billions bailing out a small bank in the North East...
  • Options
    Terrible news for staff, jobs are def going to be lost - the govt needs to make sure people get paid still OK, staff at Kwik Save lost wages from what I remember. I really hope there can be some kind of rescue package...it would be such a shame for Woolies to completely disappear.

Staff wages count as prefential creditors anyway but there sometimes isnt the money to pay people what they are due.
  • Options
    On a side note, I've got one other question. Perhaps someone can help me answer it. Some of the biggest companies around are reporting serious problems. Nearly all our banks have had billions wiped off their value in the past year, shops are saying that sales are down - they're predicting the worst Christmas for 25 years, by all accounts. The only group in the retail sector which doesn't seem to have been affected too badly by the credit crunch is the supermarkets. Can anyone explain why?

The supermarkets are doing ok, partly because people still need to eat, but also partly at the expence of places like Woolworths, both Tesco and Asda have moved into their area and used huge commercial leverage to force suppliers to sell to them cheap. This has lead to book shops taking a beating as well.

Plus of course the planning laws mean that Tesco can open stores almost where ever they like and create local monopolies.
  • Options
    If everyone thinks Woolies was so great perhaps they should have shopped there and it wouldn't be going bust.
  • Options
    I must confess that I have only ever bought anything from Woolies less than a dozen times throughout my life. It was a brand I was always happy to see in a High Street because it was 'familiar', but I never went in as a rule.
  • Options
    I always believed woolies to be fighting a losing battle, almost if not all of thier products were to be found in a more targeted environment such as easons, game, virgin etc etc etc.

I mean who has ever planned to go to woolies to purchase from them? I know I haven't and thats all because I know of other places that sell the exact same products and specifically target me to buy those.

It's a passers by store isn't it?
  • Options
    I never went into Woolies. Everything inside was overpriced compared to other places, even the pic and mix was more expensive.