Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Palestinian Referendum...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have just been wondering what everyone thinks of the recent turn in events since the Beach bombing of Palestinian civilians and Hamas decision to break the cease fire in return for this action by the Israelis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5049346.stm

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    subject13 wrote:
    ...Hamas decision to break the cease fire in return for this action by the Israelis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5049346.stm

Well... I always thought, you know... that when there is a Cease Fire... it should take action from both sides. But apparently Israel thinks otherwise.

TBH... there is no reason why Hamas should keep passive when Palestinian civilians are being killed. Let's be Honest - If France was firing Arty at the UK... and our Army was powerless... and non-existent - would YOU sit back, and do nothing?

I certainly wouldn't.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well... I always thought, you know... that when there is a Cease Fire... it should take action from both sides. But apparently Israel thinks otherwise.

TBH... there is no reason why Hamas should keep passive when Palestinian civilians are being killed. Let's be Honest - If France was firing Arty at the UK... and our Army was powerless... and non-existent - would YOU sit back, and do nothing?

I certainly wouldn't.

On the other way round, if large chunks of the French population didn't want us to exist and had together with their European neighbours waged several wars on us in the last sixty years and hijacked our aircraft, bombed our pubs, would you expect the British Army to sit there twiddling their thumbs.

It takes two to tango...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

There was never a ceasefire between the Palestinians and Israel in the first place. Hamas might have agreed a ceasefire but it wasn't observed by other Palestinian terrorists. During this 'ceasefire' you talk of Islamic Jihad have conducted suicide bomb attacks in Israel and Palestinian terrorists have fired rockets into Israeli towns (and killed Israeli civilians). Hamas despite observing a 'ceasefire' didn't condemn these acts of terrorism either. Indeed, the Israelis wouldn't have 'broken' this so-called ceasefire if the Palestinians were observing an actual ceasefire - the Israelis were conducting an anti-terror operation. (It went badly wrong and for that the victims families should be compensated and there should be a full investigation and disciplinary action for those responsible).
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

I certainly wouldn't.

And what do you think Hamas blowing up teenagers in night clubs, mothers and children in shopping malls and workers on buses is going to achieve?

The only way forward is by both sides negotiating, basing talks on the Roadmap to Peace platform. The Israelis need to make further withdrawals from the West Bank, the Israeli Prime Minister is committed to doing that. And the Palestinians must disarm their terrorist groups. (Although that's for the sake of peace negotiations as well to avoid a civil war between the Palestinians).
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    NQA wrote:
    On the other way round, if large chunks of the French population didn't want us to exist and had together with their European neighbours waged several wars on us in the last sixty years and hijacked our aircraft, bombed our pubs, would you expect the British Army to sit there twiddling their thumbs.

It takes two to tango...

Quite.

But do you think in any way that Occpuying large amounts of your neighbours land will make them peaceful? Doubtful.

I can understand why people feel sorry for Israel. It is just they are ILLEGALY occupying land still, that wasn't given to them (Taken from Palestine by force, too), which they took in a War. Give it back. Make some effort towards peace. Israel has been the worse party of the two in terms of even trying to get peace. Some of the hardline extremists want Israel removed. I don't - I want them to stop blowing the fuck out of refugee camps, civilian towns, and beaches - and to withdraw from the illegally occupied land they built on. And preferably NOT build a huge wall across said land. This will only enrage the fanatics more.