Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well at least its not the Government loosing data this time...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And some of the comments in the list
    Report from Mike Howson 2/8/07: member describes himself as a witch: potential embarrassment if active
    Will not be renewing 07 (objects to being told he shouldn't wear a bomber jacket)
    Retired chiropodist. Devout Christian lay preacher (non-conformist churches: Baptist, United Reformed, Presbyterian etc). Hobbies: walking, Scottish country dancing, horse riding, writing, poetry
  • Options
    It is interesting how the membership list for the BNP is done on a rolling basis, as opposed to a fresh new one every year. Meaning that the figure they give of current membership is a highly inflated figure compared to what they actually have.
  • Options
    Oh and as for those reports saying it was a broad spectrum of membership in 2007, it has members listed up to september 08.
  • Options
    This is classic:
    The spokesman said Mr Griffin alleges that publication of his members' details violates both the Data Protection Act and the Human Rights Act, legislation his party has said should be repealed.

All for "freedom of speech" unless they're the victims of it, eh? My local BNP candidate is currently involved in a similar sort of hypocracy.
  • Options
    only 1 person i vaguely know is on the list.
  • Options
    O_o wrote: »
    only 1 person i vaguely know is on the list.

Hasn't it already been taken down?
  • Options
    no. still up there.
  • Options
    I can't find it. All you get is links to stories about it on Google. Maybe I shouldn't be so nosey?

Okay, found it. Not that I can be arsed to look through it anyway.
  • Options
    Can anyone PM me a link to this list? I wanna see if the rumours about Sikhs and Hindus joining the BNP are true... or are the BNP just using their "divide and rule" tactics...
  • Options
  • Options
    I searched "BNP Membership List Entire -News"
  • Options
    the pirate bay has it.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    Can anyone PM me a link to this list? I wanna see if the rumours about Sikhs and Hindus joining the BNP are true... or are the BNP just using their "divide and rule" tactics...

Not meant in a racist way, but i guess you can spot a foreign name on a bit of paper easier than the usual run of the mill names. But how can you check which are hindu and sikh? Also what if people have married into foreign families and have changed their names?
  • Options
    I am very far from being a fan of the BNP but I do think they way they are being hounded is horrid.

I fail to see why anyone should be forced to leave their job purely because of belonging to a political party - as long that is as their actions on the job arent affected.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I am very far from being a fan of the BNP but I do think they way they are being hounded is horrid.

I fail to see why anyone should be forced to leave their job purely because of belonging to a political party - as long that is as their actions on the job arent affected.

Well in the case of the police and I think the prison service they are specifically banned from joining if they are members and if they join after they work there they are meant to mention it.

Most people in this country aren't members of a political party so to sign up suggests they must agree pretty strongly with what the party stands for, and i definitely wouldn't want some racist twat in a position with that kind of responsibility and power.

As others have said, it says something when people are ashamed of being exposed as supporting them, if there was nothing wrong then why should they be embarrassed?
  • Options
    noone i know on the list either thankfully
  • Options
    Yesterday I was sent a link to a search-by-postcode BNP member locator website. Very amusing. Sadly it's been taken down now.

Apparently two Glasgow Rangers footballers are members. That's a surprise...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yesterday I was sent a link to a search-by-postcode BNP member locator website. Very amusing. Sadly it's been taken down now.

Apparently two Glasgow Rangers footballers are members. That's a surprise...

I wouldn't be suprised at all - given they have 10,000 members odds are they're going to have a few supporters from most clubs.

Of course I guess that's what you mean and it was a coincidence the club you said and you're not making a racist assumption yourself...
  • Options
    Well in the case of the police and I think the prison service they are specifically banned from joining if they are members and if they join after they work there they are meant to mention it.

Most people in this country aren't members of a political party so to sign up suggests they must agree pretty strongly with what the party stands for, and i definitely wouldn't want some racist twat in a position with that kind of responsibility and power.

As others have said, it says something when people are ashamed of being exposed as supporting them, if there was nothing wrong then why should they be embarrassed?

Why are they banned? Is it only the BNP or is it any political party?
  • Options
    I wouldn't be suprised at all - given they have 10,000 members odds are they're going to have a few supporters from most clubs.

Of course I guess that's what you mean and it was a coincidence the club you said and you're not making a racist assumption yourself...
    It is players, not supporters.

And while any such assumption is not and couldn't possibly be racist since Glasgow Rangers is not a race, yes, I am making the implication that a disturbing number of players and indeed supporters of that football club have sympathies if not links with the far right. That's not exactly a state secret by the way.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    It is players, not supporters.

And while any such assumption is not and couldn't possibly be racist since Glasgow Rangers is not a race, yes, I am making the implication that a disturbing number of players and indeed supporters of that football club have sympathies if not links with the far right. That's not exactly a state secret by the way.

Its hardly fair just to pick on Rangers. The Celtic vs. Rangers issue has been a very thinly veiled war between Catholic and Protestants for years and years. Both sides having a minority who see it not just as a football rivalry but as far more than that.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Why are they banned? Is it only the BNP or is it any political party?

http://www.knowledgenetwork.gov.uk/HO/circular.nsf/79755433dd36a66980256d4f004d1514/319a2eac673ef7ec80256fb7003dc0e5?OpenDocument

"These regulations came into force on 1 January 2005.

The Home Secretary also issued a determination setting out the specific organisations of which membership is banned. These are;

a) British National Party
    b) Combat 18
    c) National Front"

From a 2005 amendment to the Police Regulations 2003.
  • Options
    I think thats absolutely terrible, I hate their politics but they are a political party and to discriminate like that is really nasty.
  • Options
    I want to say that I think police officers (e.g.) shouldn't be allowed to be members of the BNP or National Front (with whom I had some recent dealings which leave me with no shadow of a doubt that they are ignorant and hateful beyond belief) because I hate to think any of our police officers would actually initiate such membership or hold such beliefs. However, I'm sure they do. I want to say that I think any police officer shown to be a BNP member should be sacked and shamed. But, really, I can't agree that it's right to ban them from membership. I hate that I feel that way.

We can't have our cake and eat it (to coin a hugely inappropriate phrase), more's the pity. Either the BNP [and thus membership] is illegal, or it isn't. It isn't (though whether that's right is another story...) and therefore people shouldn't be sacked because they belong to it, and shouldn't be prevented from holding membership. The views they hold are just that, views. If they don't act on them then they're within their legal rights and adhering to their work contract. It's terrifying to think that the greasy wheel of justice might be in the hands of people so frighteningly narrow-minded.

Erm, that said, I wish the BNP/NF was illegal... though that'd just add more fuel to their "hard-done-by-look-wot-the-immigrants-dun" fire. Hard to know how best to deal with such loathsome specimens, "vile" doesn't begin to cover it.

(Another one pleased not to know anyone on the list, though I do know a few non-"card carrying" BNP sympathists).
  • Options
    However compatibility with a certain profession should be taken into account. Despise them as I do, I wouldn't say BNP members should be blanket banned from the workplace. That's absurd. But in special cases where abuse of authority is a real possibility, such as the police force, I do agree with the ban.

Put simply, there is a significant risk that a person who believes immigrants, Muslims and non-whites are inferior and should be kicked out of the country might abuse their position of authority as policeman and fail to treat a person from such minority background fairly. Indeed, anyone who holds such views can safely be classed as an extremist. As such there is a clear conflict of interests which in my view (and apparently in the view of the police federation) makes such person unsuitable for the job of policeman.
  • Options
    To be fair whilst I don't know the police's rules, the Army makes clear that not only are far-right political parties like the BNP and Sinn Fein banned, but so are far left such as the SWP and Communist Party. Its take the view that groups which seek the overthrow of the state shouldn't have members serving in its armed forces...
  • Options
    All for "freedom of speech" unless they're the victims of it, eh?
    What the hell is this argument meant to be about? That apparently, if you don't like a law, you have no right to use it? I must have been off sick the day they told us that at school. We all know that this is nonsense. Let's say that it was the Labour Party that had been the victim of this. Let's say that someone had published a list of all their members on the Internet. We all know they'd be howling from the rooftops about this.

My view is that anyone who works in the public sector should be banned from joining a political party. Instead of nonsensical rules saying that coppers can't join this or that, let's just get one rule in place for everyone. It would certainly be a lot easier to understand - although what rule would you put in place for staff from a private company doing work for the public sector? This is a difficult one...
  • Options
    sorry to ask, but could someone pm me the link to the list, i really need to find out if a couple of people are on there
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What the hell is this argument meant to be about? That apparently, if you don't like a law, you have no right to use it?
    They have every right to use it. I just think it's funny that they're now citing the very law they've fought against mostly to claim a huge injustice against them. Not to mention the fact that they've released similar personal details about people that they disagree with politically for years. Hypocrites of the worst kind.
  • Options
    Not to mention the fact that they've released similar personal details about people that they disagree with politically for years.
    When?