Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Well at least its not the Government loosing data this time...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote: »
    I want to say that I think police officers (e.g.) shouldn't be allowed to be members of the BNP or National Front (with whom I had some recent dealings which leave me with no shadow of a doubt that they are ignorant and hateful beyond belief) because I hate to think any of our police officers would actually initiate such membership or hold such beliefs. However, I'm sure they do. I want to say that I think any police officer shown to be a BNP member should be sacked and shamed. But, really, I can't agree that it's right to ban them from membership. I hate that I feel that way.
    I agree with you. But I've also heard an argument that creates a real dilemma. Say, for example you live in Holland with your kid. And replace "police officer" with "teacher," and BNP with the PNVD Party. That's the one that considers that there is nothing wrong with paedophilia, and wants the age of consent reduced to twelve. Do you still think that being a political party member shouldn't ban you from a job?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    When?
    Even heard of a website called Redwatch?
  • Options
    Vaguely. I recall hearing Nick Griffin saying something about that when interviewed by the Beeb yesterday, but I don't know much more about it. Probably some kind of racist site, I assumed.
  • Options

To be fair that's not the BNP. It's a bit like SWP being tarred for taking funds from Saddam, when it was the Workers Revolutionary Party.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    However compatibility with a certain profession should be taken into account. Despise them as I do, I wouldn't say BNP members should be blanket banned from the workplace. That's absurd. But in special cases where abuse of authority is a real possibility, such as the police force, I do agree with the ban.

Put simply, there is a significant risk that a person who believes immigrants, Muslims and non-whites are inferior and should be kicked out of the country might abuse their position of authority as policeman and fail to treat a person from such minority background fairly. Indeed, anyone who holds such views can safely be classed as an extremist. As such there is a clear conflict of interests which in my view (and apparently in the view of the police federation) makes such person unsuitable for the job of policeman.

But this ban doesnt change any attitudes, it just means they cant be a member, they can still attend meetings, deliver leaflets etc. they just cant be a member. The policy is worse than useless because it creates the feeling that the BNP are so powerful and dangerous they have to be banned. There is nothing like banning an organisation to give it power.
  • Options
    BNP membership is rightly banned if you are a PC / prison officer because it promotes a racist agenda which is incompatible with their line of work. It's not illegal to hold racist views, afterall - but certainly you should be excluded from positions of authority.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    BNP membership is rightly banned if you are a PC / prison officer because it promotes a racist agenda which is incompatible with their line of work. It's not illegal to hold racist views, afterall - but certainly you should be excluded from positions of authority.

But banning membership does absolutely nothing to deal with the views, they may well still be just as racist as they were before, and they will still have all the authority.

And why arent communist members banned? They might discriminate against a rich person who was robbed.

This measure is both pointless and unethical, pointless because it does nothing to address the problem, and unethical because it discriminates against someone because of their political views.
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: It has emerged that Adolf Hitler, dictator of Germany between 1933 and 1945, is a member of the British National Party. Watch the footage here.
    :lol:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    BREAKING NEWS: It has emerged that Adolf Hitler, dictator of Germany between 1933 and 1945, is a member of the British National Party. Watch the footage here.
    :lol:

b3ta.com newsletter by any chance?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    b3ta.com newsletter by any chance?
    I've never heard of such a thing! No, I found this on one of the political blogs which I read.