Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

We don't want presumed consent. Fuck that, says Gordon...

So what is our emotionally and psychologically defective Prime Minister on about now? When not chastising George Osborne for telling the truth about the economy - truth hurts, doesn't it Gordon? - he's planning to take over our bodies. According to the Beeb; "Gordon Brown is not ruling out a change in the law on organ donation even though a panel of experts has rejected the idea of 'presumed consent'. The UK Organ Donation Taskforce said assuming organs could be used unless people opted out was unlikely to boost donation rates. A £4.5m public awareness campaign in England will be aimed at boosting voluntary donor numbers. But the prime minister warned if it did not work a law change may follow." Click here for more details.

What is it about the word "no" that this retard doesn't understand? We tell him that we want a referendum on the EU constitution, he ignores us. We tell him we don't want ID cards, he ignores us. We tell him we don't want our bodies to be nationalised by the state, he ignores us. I just wish I could ignore this latest piece of stupidity...

I should perhaps declare an interest. Following the initial debate about this in January, I have since signed up to the Organ Donor register. Since this is a public message board, I'm not going to go into any more details about it. However, what I say is - if people want to allow the state to have access to their bodies after they snuff it, that's their business. It's not the place of here today, gone tomorrow idiots like Macavity to say so otherwise and never will be.

Over to you, ladies, gentlemen, transsexuals and those of you of no gender at all...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well i think "opt out" organ donation is a good thing.
  • Options
    Can't say I mind that much - if anyone wants any of my body after a lifetime of booze, cigs and rugby, frankly they're welcome to it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I have no problem in donating anything I leave, but I don't think the 'opt out' system is right.
    Permission is granted, not given automatically.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I disagree with the opt-out system. I'm happy to be an organ donor, but out of my own choice and not anyone deciding I want to on my behalf.
  • Options
    Personally I'd like an opt out system. The problem with the opt in system is that most people who have no problem with organ donation never get round to registering so lots of opportunities are missed, whereas people who do object and feel strongly will often carry cards that say so despite the fact the system is currently opt in.

That said, while they keep the bit that says your relatives can over ride what you say it's all a bit daft.
  • Options
    The problem with the opt in system is that most people who have no problem with organ donation never get round to registering...
    Absolutely correct. Which is why there needs to be far more innovation regarding this. Why not allow people to opt-in at places such as supermarkets, for example? Okay, so let's have a look through this shopping list today. Bread, check. Milk, check. Newspaper, check. 2 for 1 on those huge Cadbury's chocolate bars, check. Organ donation, check... you get the idea. Most of us visit a supermarket pretty regularly.

There's also another issue here - the way we, as a society, approach death.
  • Options
    I think more education and information is needed before they even think about implementing this "opt-out" system.
    We hae the British way of not wanting to talk about death but I think if the view of orgna donation was changed and people recieved more education then more people may be willing to become organ doners without the implementation of this opt-out system.
  • Options
    The problem with the opt in system is that most people who have no problem with organ donation never get round to registering so lots of opportunities are missed

Well then make it more accessible.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    well i think "opt out" organ donation is a good thing.

it's not actually that effective that's why....

stopping families from objecting when someone has agreed to donate ie donor card would be more helpful, also so would co-ordinating better so they know to keep someone's organs from failing before a transplant, because the main difficulties lie in good timing
  • Options
    This is where I love these kind of sensationalistic threads, where did Gordon Brown actually say anything along the lines of "fuck that"

And you have the nerve to talk about me putting words into your mouth SG?

Im glad you linked to the BBC rather than the daily mail for once.
    wrote:
    "We will revisit this when we find out how successful the next stage of the campaign has been."

Is what he has said, so all he has agreed to is to revisit the debate if a big push to register organ donors doesnt work? So it sounds like they are going to try SG's ideas first before they revisit the idea, which may just get thrown out anyway?

So by Gordon Brown saying we are going to avoid brining this opt out system in now, and try other things first, before we even remotely discuss the opt out system. Has been transformed into "fuck that says Brown"
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What is it about the word "no" that this retard [...]
    I suspect he's rather more intelligent than you are. In any event, that is an unpleasant word choice.
    We tell him that we want a referendum on the EU constitution, he ignores us.
    Who is 'we', and when exactly did the telling occur?
    We tell him we don't want ID cards, he ignores us.
    See above.
    We tell him we don't want our bodies to be nationalised by the state, he ignores us.
    See above.
    I just wish I could ignore this latest piece of stupidity...

I should perhaps declare an interest. Following the initial debate about this in January, I have since signed up to the Organ Donor register. Since this is a public message board, I'm not going to go into any more details about it. However, what I say is - if people want to allow the state to have access to their bodies after they snuff it, that's their business. It's not the place of here today, gone tomorrow idiots like Macavity to say so otherwise and never will be.
    He's not forcing anyone to donate their organs is he? :rolleyes:

At least 1,000 people die needlessly every year due to lack of organs. That's a third of the total number of deaths on the road we obssess about so much. I say it's a very worthy cause.

I'd like to ask this panel of experts how they can explain Spain's extraordinarily good record on organ donation. By happy coincidence Spain has an opt-out system like the one Brown is proposing. Funny that.

If someone (for whatever reason) doesn't want to donate their organs, there is a very fucking simple solution under the new scheme. Opt out. End of the fucking problem.
  • Options
    Trying to find a way to get more organs for sick people. What a bastard!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

If someone (for whatever reason) doesn't want to donate their organs, there is a very fucking simple solution under the new scheme. Opt out. End of the fucking problem.

:yes: I don't understand why people this this is such a terrible injustice

In my opinion if you don't want your organs to be donated after you die then you shouldn't be allowed anyone else's organs if you get sick.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    In my opinion if you don't want your organs to be donated after you die then you shouldn't be allowed anyone else's organs if you get sick.
    That's not such a crazy idea. People on the organ donor list should be given priority should they ever find themselves in need of a transplant. Perhaps that'll sharpen people's minds a bit.
  • Options
    That's not such a crazy idea. People on the organ donor list should be given priority should they ever find themselves in need of a transplant. Perhaps that'll sharpen people's minds a bit.

When I say that people think I'm mad. But why should you be entitled to someone else's organ if you're not willing to donate your own?

There's two reasons why I think people don't want to donate:

1. Religious/ethical - in which case your moral beliefs should stretch to not allowing a transplanted organ in your own body

2. Out of fear/squeamishness/selfishness that you don't want someone messing around with your body after you've died - in which case why should you allow someone else's body to be put through that for you to survive if you wouldn't be willing to do the same

I think people having the right to somebody else's organ when they won't donate their own is a far bigger injustice than being automatically put on a list that you can easily opt out of
  • Options

Great in theory, but obviously practically it wouldn't work if we accept that people should be allowed to add and remove themselves from the list when they choose. What's to stop someone from adding themselves as soon as they need an organ, and then removing themselves from the list afterwards? I also think it goes against the ideas of the NHS, and being a cunt still shouldn't be enough to stop you from being allowed life-saving treatment imo.

Tbh, I think if you go for an opt-out system then theoretically, you would have enough organs from people who just weren't bothered to put their name down, that if any family who claimed the person forgot to opt out for whatever reason, you could simply say fair enough, we've already got more than enough anyway.
  • Options
    At the end of the day, you're really not going to need them when you're dead. If you're worried about having your body cut up without your permission, despite being dead, then you really need to get a grip and stop being so selfish.
  • Options
    If someone (for whatever reason) doesn't want to donate their organs, there is a very simple solution under the new scheme. Opt out.
    Under the proposed system, you are being forced to give your organs to someone else because a politician tells you to. As for the idea of opting out, I don't believe it would be respected by the authorities. Let's consider the serial incompetence of almost every government department there is - the losing of a disc with the details of 25million people, for example. How long, if this system is introduced, until we see stories in the press of someone taking an organ from a person who opted out? Some opt out that would be...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Under the proposed system, you are being forced to give your organs to someone else because a politician tells you to. As for the idea of opting out, I don't believe it would be respected by the authorities. Let's consider the serial incompetence of almost every government department there is - the losing of a disc with the details of 25million people, for example. How long, if this system is introduced, until we see stories in the press of someone taking an organ from a person who opted out? Some opt out that would be...
    You have more chances to win the jackpot in the National Lottery than to be the unfortunate proverbial person who opted out and their organs got removed by mistake.

Nothing, but nothing in life is 100% infallible. That doesn't mean we shouldn't go for something when there are good reasons for it. Otherwise we might as well close up shop and and abandon everything else, from the police service to medical care to the justice system, since mistakes are also made there.

No matter how you want to paint it, the fact is that the opt-out system gives everyone a chance to, er... opt out of donating if they wish to.

So what is the problem exactly?
  • Options
    All your organs are belong to us.
  • Options
    If an opt-out system is enacted i'll withdraw consent on principle.

The assumption of perfect information.
  • Options
    I think Spain has a higher rate of organ donatation because they're more educated about it. In my opinion an opt out system shouldn't be needed. None of my family are officially organ donors but we've all agreed to donate our organs so unless we all die at the same time there's no real need for the government or NHS to get involved right now. An opt out system would make people feel pressured into agreeing to donate their organs, and what people want to do with their bodies is nothing to do with the government. The important thing is to get people to decide what if they want their organs donated and to tell someone their decision, in my experience very few people would say no. Even people who are against pressumed consent would probably agree to be organ donors but they want it to be their choice, because it's their body. Of course they won't need it when they're dead but they won't need their bed, money and computer either, the NHS wouldn't decide they have a right to that, even though we'd all agree they probably need it. People also need to be encouraged to look after their own bodies. I know by far the majority of people needing transplants aren't ill because of their lifestyle, but I know someone who needed a new liver because he drank too much, too often and over a long period of time. In my opinion he was more selfish than people who don't want to donate their organs, because he had a liver that worked and ruined it. I know for most cases lifestyle has nothing to do with it, but if people have a right to decide to do things like that to their bodies while they're alive they should get to decide what should happen to them when they're dead.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    If an opt-out system is enacted i'll withdraw consent on principle.

The assumption of perfect information.

The withdrawal of a few people on principle will be far outweighed by all the people who never got around to opting in or who don't give a crap either way.

What exactly do you mean by "The assumption of perfect information"?

Almost everyone i know either is on the list or doesn't care either way, there are very few who actively object to it, and ppl who do have that view will be motivated enough to go make sure they are registered, unlike the huge number of people who wouldn't mind their organs being donated but have never made any arrangements.

I'm gonna presume as well that any next of kin would be able to be got hold of, so even if there is a mistake, then they would make sure that the records were double checked.
  • Options
    Of course they won't need it when they're dead but they won't need their bed, money and computer either, the NHS wouldn't decide they have a right to that, even though we'd all agree they probably need it.

Nope but your family and friends would make use of/need it. I doubt your organs are going to be of much use to them.
    People also need to be encouraged to look after their own bodies. I know by far the majority of people needing transplants aren't ill because of their lifestyle, but I know someone who needed a new liver because he drank too much, too often and over a long period of time. In my opinion he was more selfish than people who don't want to donate their organs, because he had a liver that worked and ruined it. I know for most cases lifestyle has nothing to do with it, but if people have a right to decide to do things like that to their bodies while they're alive they should get to decide what should happen to them when they're dead.

I can understand if you have strong religious beliefs about it, even if I don't agree with them, but what good does it do burning or burying perfectly good organs just because someone never got around to ticking a box?
  • Options

Donating organs is important and nowhere near enough people do it, especially when you consider that most wouldn't have a problem with it. This is why it should be more accessible - surely that's the most reasonable answer?

The problem is my organs are mine and they're mine until I give consent for somebody else have them. It should not be for me to have to claim ownership of my body.
    I'll happily give them but I'm not some walking organ grow bag for others to help themselves too when I die. It should be a conscious decision on the part of the donor, it shouldn't be involuntary.

If it were more accessible and people still weren't signing up then the opt out may be worth considering but we're yet to proove that greater accessibilty to voluntary donation isn't the answer.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I think Spain has a higher rate of organ donatation because they're more educated about it. In my opinion an opt out system shouldn't be needed. None of my family are officially organ donors but we've all agreed to donate our organs so unless we all die at the same time there's no real need for the government or NHS to get involved right now. An opt out system would make people feel pressured into agreeing to donate their organs, and what people want to do with their bodies is nothing to do with the government. The important thing is to get people to decide what if they want their organs donated and to tell someone their decision, in my experience very few people would say no. Even people who are against pressumed consent would probably agree to be organ donors but they want it to be their choice, because it's their body. Of course they won't need it when they're dead but they won't need their bed, money and computer either, the NHS wouldn't decide they have a right to that, even though we'd all agree they probably need it. People also need to be encouraged to look after their own bodies. I know by far the majority of people needing transplants aren't ill because of their lifestyle, but I know someone who needed a new liver because he drank too much, too often and over a long period of time. In my opinion he was more selfish than people who don't want to donate their organs, because he had a liver that worked and ruined it. I know for most cases lifestyle has nothing to do with it, but if people have a right to decide to do things like that to their bodies while they're alive they should get to decide what should happen to them when they're dead.

Most sense talked in this thread.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The withdrawal of a few people on principle will be far outweighed by all the people who never got around to opting in or who don't give a crap either way.

What exactly do you mean by "The assumption of perfect information"?

Assuming everyone would learn of it.
  • Options
    I can understand if you have strong religious beliefs about it, even if I don't agree with them, but what good does it do burning or burying perfectly good organs just because someone never got around to ticking a box?

People are not just a source of new organs. If someone doesn't want their organs to be cut out of them that's up to them. We should be trying to get people to decide if they want to donate their organs or not, rather than assuming people do. Maybe if people were able to agree to donate organs when they went for a routine blood test or something more people would get around to saying they want to be a donor. The problem is that people know little about organ donation and so don't think about what they want or who to talk to about it. The answer to that is education, not assuming everybody wants their organs taken from them when they die.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Under the proposed system, you are being forced to give your organs to someone else because a politician tells you to. ..

No you are not. You would be forced if you didnt have a choice, which funny this opt out system, you do.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Assuming everyone would learn of it.

If someone is not bothered enough to reseach what would happen to them when they die, then I believe that it is best to allow their organs to be harvested.

People who go through their lives in a cloud of apathy could then at least do something useful when they are dead.