Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Compulsory Sex Education

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    I can't believe you overlooked this one:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mTMlZSKEu-Y

:thumb: :thumb:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Sadly though it is, who do you think pays for all the teens who get pregnant? Not only for all the health costs, but because of the lost tax revenue if they then dont fulfill they economic potential.
    The way to deal with this is for children to be taught about the importance of relationships. But it categorically is NOT the place of the government to be preaching this message. The moment the government gets involved in anything, it goes tits up. Exactly the same would happen here. Government intervention has repeatedly been proven to make matters worse when it comes to sexual education.

Example - Back in May 2005, official figures were revealed by the government confirming that "the number of 13 to 15-year-olds becoming pregnant rose by 2.5 per cent to 8,076 between 2002 and 2003". So even after the government had spent £138million on a campaign to cut it, and had made the despicable deicision to allow under-16s access to free birth control without their parents knowing about it, teenage pregnancies still increased. Here's where I got this from, by the way. Doesn't this prove that the government are the very last people who should be getting involved in sex and relationships?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The way to deal with this is for children to be taught about the importance of relationships. But it categorically is NOT the place of the government to be preaching this message. The moment the government gets involved in anything, it goes tits up. Exactly the same would happen here. Government intervention has repeatedly been proven to make matters worse when it comes to sexual education.

Example - Back in May 2005, official figures were revealed by the government confirming that "the number of 13 to 15-year-olds becoming pregnant rose by 2.5 per cent to 8,076 between 2002 and 2003". So even after the government had spent £138million on a campaign to cut it, and had made the despicable deicision to allow under-16s access to free birth control without their parents knowing about it, teenage pregnancies still increased. Here's where I got this from, by the way. Doesn't this prove that the government are the very last people who should be getting involved in sex and relationships?

Do you think the current system of everyone doing nothing is better?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I don't think it proves anything. Trends are usually not reversed overnight. On the contrary, it takes years for a campaign it to have any significant impact.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    it takes years for a campaign it to have any significant impact.

Yeah ...forty years later i'm still waiting for the impact of the ...'Just say no'
    campaign.