Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Compulsory Sex Education

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, that took long enough.
Lessons about personal, social and health matters including sex and relationships will be compulsory in all England's schools from ages five to 16.

But the government is setting up a review of how best to achieve this, saying there are "complicated issues".

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am 24 and still need lessons in relationships :chin:

Overall a good thing I reckon.
    This, as predicted, has the tabloids frothing at the mouth. They seem to think that this means giving 5 year old the pill and telling them that being gay is the preferred option.

If it is age appropriate and taught well I cant see this doing anything but good. We desperately need to do something about our societies shocking sexual health record.
    budda wrote: »
    This, as predicted, has the tabloids frothing at the mouth. They seem to think that this means giving 5 year old the pill and telling them that being gay is the preferred option.

Exactly, we've had one or two parents complain. Expecially about the fact that it will be statutary for children from foundation stage onwards to learn the correct terminology for the body parts.

Lots of the proposed curriculum is focussed on relationships too.
    I think much of this is highly inappropriate. Politicians have a tendency to view schools as tools for social engineering. This one is particularly keen on that attitude. If they concentrated on strengthening families, they might soon notice that we don't need this kind of statist nonsense. I think that it's the parents who should be teaching these things to their kids, not the government. At this point, there will doubtless be people saying "oh, but there are parents out there who aren't teaching these things to their children", as an excuse to bring this in. It's no excuse, frankly. They should be aiming their fire towards those parents who are neglecting their duties.

I think that there is a very fine line that the state should not tread when it comes to personal relationships. This scheme completely over-steps it, and I therefore oppose it.
    I think it is a good idea as long as they teach it right. We didn't have much... the "This is what happens to boys and girls, here is a vagina, here is a pad and this is the vas deferens" in 5th grade (was that age 9/10 Iif my math is right) and the mandatory week or so of sex ed in health class in 7th grade which consisted of learning of *gasp* abstinence, and that was about it. And then people wondered why our tiny town had the highest teenage pregnancy rate in the state... I don't really know about the relationship thing, but I really cannot think of anything wrong with teaching about safe sex, sexual health and diseases, pregnancy options etc... especialy at those ages. Just read the infamous when you lost your virginity thread and you'll see it obviously happenes as young as 11ish, best know what you are getting into by the time it happens.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    At this point, there will doubtless be people saying "oh, but there are parents out there who aren't teaching these things to their children", as an excuse to bring this in. It's no excuse, frankly. They should be aiming their fire towards those parents who are neglecting their duties.

And how would the government have any idea what parents are telling their children?
    I think much of this is highly inappropriate. Politicians have a tendency to view schools as tools for social engineering. This one is particularly keen on that attitude. If they concentrated on strengthening families, they might soon notice that we don't need this kind of statist nonsense. I think that it's the parents who should be teaching these things to their kids, not the government. At this point, there will doubtless be people saying "oh, but there are parents out there who aren't teaching these things to their children", as an excuse to bring this in. It's no excuse, frankly. They should be aiming their fire towards those parents who are neglecting their duties.

I think that there is a very fine line that the state should not tread when it comes to personal relationships. This scheme completely over-steps it, and I therefore oppose it.

I do believe it should mostly be up to the parents rather than the government to teach things like this but a lot of parents don't, and there's no reason why their children should suffer. The government have no idea what parents are saying to their children, the only way they could have is if they put cameras in people's homes. Talks about sex would always be needed anyway, becuase even though parents should be telling their children about the basics of sex how are they supposed to know the specific details of STI's and the latest methods of contraception when many of them have never been taught themselves? I think it's important for children to talk about things related to sex as soon as possible, too many people have their sex education years too late.
    I do believe it should mostly be up to the parents rather than the government to teach things like this but a lot of parents don't, and there's no reason why their children should suffer. The government have no idea what parents are saying to their children, the only way they could have is if they put cameras in people's homes. Talks about sex would always be needed anyway, becuase even though parents should be telling their children about the basics of sex how are they supposed to know the specific details of STI's and the latest methods of contraception when many of them have never been taught themselves? I think it's important for children to talk about things related to sex as soon as possible, too many people have their sex education years too late.

I agree. There is no guarantee that parents are going to even talk about the importance of safe sex with their children. As long as the info being provided at school is being closely regulated so that it is in no way biased (like those that are tutored in the U.S on how abstinence is best) then I don't see a problem. Knowledge is power and all that..
    I'm all for it. I would also suggest that there are parents who are parents simply because they don't know anything about safe sex, so they're not about to pass on any gems to their kids.

I think as a nation we need to stop being so uptight about sex. It's not like they're going to teach them about dildos in nursery, ffs. Why can't we just call a penis a penis? Half the population has one!
    And how would the government have any idea what parents are telling their children?
    Way to miss the point, Sherlock! It's none of the government's business what parents are telling their children.
    Way to miss the point, Sherlock! It's none of the government's business what parents are telling their children.

So you don't think that children should be equipped with around the same amount of sexual education? My opinion is that the education system is just assisting with what some parents may fail to do. I don't understand the big fuss about 5 year olds being taught about 'sex'. In every article I've read it's just a case of teaching the correct terminology like penis..vagina.
    I don't see the problem with sex education.

Sex is an act and carries whatever meaning we wish it to carry... I think that it's important to educate children about sex, but also about responsibility and respect in sexual relationships.
    So you don't think that children should be equipped with around the same amount of sexual education?
    Wow. I thought MrG was good at distorting what I said, but that's taking it to a whole new level. Of course I think they should be taught about relationships and sex and all things like that. But I think that it's highly inappropriate for the state to get involved in human relationships.
    Except, we've ascertained that people should have a certain amount of knowledge, and that some kids don't get that, so what's the alternative solution?

State tries to get parents to educated, state educates through schools, either way it's the satate.
    Except, we've ascertained that people should have a certain amount of knowledge, and that some kids don't get that, so what's the alternative solution?

State tries to get parents to educated, state educates through schools, either way it's the satate.

Thankyou! Maybe I worded it badly but no need to be quite so defensive SG
    Sex education is biology and psychology that's directly relevant to everyone and has far reaching effects on society and the individual if people are left in ignorance.

It's not like we're teaching kids about sexual fetishes.
    Wow. I thought MrG was good at distorting what I said, but that's taking it to a whole new level. Of course I think they should be taught about relationships and sex and all things like that. But I think that it's highly inappropriate for the state to get involved in human relationships.
    It's a thorny debate isn't it. Where do you draw the line between letting parents have their children receive the education they want, and ensuring children do get a certain standard of education even if it goes against the parents' wishes.

There is no pefect solution and somebody will always feel hard done by. In this particular case I believe it is in the child's interest to receive a balanced and rational dose of sex education even if the parents might object to it.
    If the government are involved you know it can only go pearshaped.
    Having just spent the last module on adolescent psychiatry, when it comes to sex education, sadly we need to lower our estimations of what parents are teaching their children. Some refuse to take any responsibility over what happens to their children as minors, even if there was abuse involved. It's an extreme side of the spectrum, but it's young people like these who need the education young, for their own protection as well as education.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is no pefect solution and somebody will always feel hard done by. In this particular case I believe it is in the child's interest to receive a balanced and rational dose of sex education even if the parents might object to it.

:yes: You dont what parents are teaching their kids so they need to learn the same knowledge on subjects through school.
    go_away wrote: »
    Some [parents] refuse to take any responsibility over what happens to their children as minors, even if there was abuse involved. It's... young people like these who need the education young, for their own protection as well as education.
    And all parents are like that, are they? Talk about tarring everyone with the same brush.
    Heres my contribution ...The Penis Songhttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nGRPFUYUUdQ&feature=related
    And all parents are like that, are they? Talk about tarring everyone with the same brush.

*sigh*

SG, a lot of laws and systems are in place in our society which work in a manner to protect the most vulnerable, like Gillick competence for instance. So without having to speak very slowly, no, I don't think all parents are like that, conclusion jumping does not a good debate make.

But our society and media would benefit from questioning why there is such a weird attitude towards talking about sex and relationships, especially to young children. Just some of the media responses foaming at the mouth assume that children are going to be taught how to be discriminating in their choice of vibrator and that all their 'innocence' will be lost. If that's how they feel I dread to think what *they* were taught, if anything.

Sadly though it is, who do you think pays for all the teens who get pregnant? Not only for all the health costs, but because of the lost tax revenue if they then dont fulfill they economic potential.
    Sadly though it is, who do you think pays for all the teens who get pregnant? Not only for all the health costs, but because of the lost tax revenue if they then dont fulfill they economic potential.

Not that this will make much difference to that
    Scotland, looked at the impact over five years of a sex education programme called Share.

This differed from more conventional sex education by having intensive teacher training and a focus on developing skills rather than simply providing information and discussing values.

Lead researcher Marion Henderson said: "Unfortunately, it shows that pregnancy and abortion rates in the girls who were taught using the enhanced programme were no different from rates in the control group who were given conventional school sex education."

It may however, improve relationships, leading to less marital breakdown in later life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7687450.stm

I just think people see things like this as a panacea, instead of a very minor change to how society operates.
    I just think people see things like this as a panacea, instead of a very minor change to how society operates.

Sadly I'm inclined to agree, peer pressure has been shown to be more powerful than either education or parenting by the time the kids are teenagers. But is a move in the right direction I think.
    It may however, improve relationships, leading to less marital breakdown in later life.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7687450.stm

I think the evidence in Holland suggests that the real results come when you get the first generation of parents who went through this system of education, rather than directly affecting the first lot of kids themselves. It's not difficult to imagine why that might be. And obviously, there are a number of other issues, such as actually giving the kids some sort of aspirations and self esteem, so they take getting pregnant as being something they really don't want to do.
    I think the evidence in Holland suggests that the real results come when you get the first generation of parents who went through this system of education, rather than directly affecting the first lot of kids themselves. It's not difficult to imagine why that might be. And obviously, there are a number of other issues, such as actually giving the kids some sort of aspirations and self esteem, so they take getting pregnant as being something they really don't want to do.

:yes:

Possibly, though I'm sceptical that the results of one society can necessarily be transfered over to another society - there are too many variables.