Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

wtf is going on with this apathtic attitude...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
thats seems to be spreading around like flu...

i thought it may have been getting better but i am wrong...

the world seems to be consumed by this apathetic attitude were nothing has the impact that it did...maybe even 3 or four years ago. Music/film/even politics have become watered down wishy washy and it seems like everyone's emotions have to. No one wants to do anything outside of their comfort zone anymore...

i haven't got any evidence to prove this, but this is how i'm generally seeing the world around me. I'm starting to wonder if we're in need of some kind of cultural revolution.

i'll try and illaborate if this makes no sense, but please discuss....

Comments

• Options
    I don't have the finances to do anything outside my comfort zone!
  • Options
    sorry, but thats crap! you find new wasy of entertaining yourself when you have no many, the most recessions seem to produce amazing art, buty this one everyone seems to be repressed themselves
  • Options
    Not really sure what you're talking about people seem as motivated / not motivated as they ever were.
  • Options
    its not the motivation, is the lack of new life, new ideas, new energy...everything seems so staid and same-y right now. the fashion, the music, the art, nothing exciting is happening anywhere it seems...
  • Options
    It's not crap! I can't believe you think that.

Perhaps it's you that's bored and you're just projecting it on to other people?
  • Options
    I keep on finding new and interesting things all the time.

I hardly think that one persons experiences can qualify as a major shift in the world works in the past couple of years!
  • Options
    tl;dr
  • Options
    sorry, but thats crap! you find new wasy of entertaining yourself when you have no many

Yet you have just contradicted yourself when you look at the first post?
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Yet you have just contradicted yourself when you look at the first post?
    no i haven't i talking about mainstream arts and media, one person hardly makes a difference on that kind of scale...

so all of you are saying that you are finding that the music in the chart isn't boring and all the same, that the things being projected as "the next big thing in the art world" don't all seem quite similar, that a vast majority of the films at the cinema right now are really interesting and aren't rehashing the old crap that has been rewritten continualy for the past 3 or 4 years?

sorry i'm really not explaining this very well....
  • Options
    no i haven't i talking about mainstream arts and media, one person hardly makes a difference on that kind of scale...

so all of you are saying that you are finding that the music in the chart isn't boring and all the same, that the things being projected as "the next big thing in the art world" don't all seem quite similar, that a vast majority of the films at the cinema right now are really interesting and aren't rehashing the old crap that has been rewritten continualy for the past 3 or 4 years?

sorry i'm really not explaining this very well....

No offence, but have you been living under a fucking rock since...oh, forever?

Chart music is always boring, the majority of films always follow trends and the next big thing hype is always empty.
  • Options
    A lot of the films that are being released at this current time were written 3/4 years ago.
  • Options
    No offence, but have you been living under a fucking rock since...oh, forever?

Chart music is always boring, the majority of films always follow trends and the next big thing hype is always empty.
    no i haven't and you know i haven't

but i just remember that things no that long ago used to be more exciting or at least they seemed it...there was more urgency and vibrancy in things in music art and media...it seems to have waned to almost none, and everything seems very homogenised. maybe this is just me, and maybe i'm not looking in the right places...
  • Options
    I think your either just getting a bit bored with what is on offer, or as you say, looking in the wrong places.

You only know of good art forms when you see it, just because you dont see it, doesnt mean it isnt there.
  • Options
    And there was me thinking this was a thread about apathy in everything, including the individual! In reality there just isn't anything you like out there at the moment.
  • Options
    i thought that that was the general concenus of the art world atm...and you have proved me wrong...

I have been looking but maybe in the wrong places, or what i want isn't out there...so maybe i'll have to make it myself....hmmmm
  • Options
    but i just remember that things no that long ago used to be more exciting or at least they seemed it...there was more urgency and vibrancy in things in music art and media...it seems to have waned to almost none, and everything seems very homogenised. maybe this is just me, and maybe i'm not looking in the right places...

Maybe because a few years ago you were experiencing things for the first time......?

Everyone knows everything is the same. Every high street has a HMV, Topshop, Greggs and McDonalds. Every TV channel shows the same thing, at the same time each night/week.

But, it's how the masses want it (myself included). People want things cheap, the only way to make things cheaply is to mass produce and to bulk buy.
    The only time when we really had anything that was truly one of a kind was before the industrial revolution. We've been on a long path towards homogonisation ever since.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Maybe because a few years ago you were experiencing things for the first time......?

Everyone knows everything is the same. Every high street has a HMV, Topshop, Greggs and McDonalds. Every TV channel shows the same thing, at the same time each night/week.

But, it's how the masses want it (myself included). People want things cheap, the only way to make things cheaply is to mass produce and to bulk buy.
    The only time when we really had anything that was truly one of a kind was before the industrial revolution. We've been on a long path towards homogonisation ever since.
    maybe i should go start my own little city state then...:P
  • Options
    i thought that that was the general concenus of the art world atm...and you have proved me wrong...

I have been looking but maybe in the wrong places, or what i want isn't out there...so maybe i'll have to make it myself....hmmmm

New things are being created all the time. If you don't like the current films, look else where. I watched an amazing film last night called All About Lily Chou Chou. I just fell in love with it. As for generally, you can't make everyone (or the majority) like the things that you do. But it's great to get that feeling when you reccomend something to a friend and they actually like it as much as you do, or they do the same for you. Just listen and be aware of what other people are saying and for gawd's sake take reccomendations when friends lob them at you!! Most of the music I love I got into because of my friends. That's all you can do really!!
  • Options
    Try Michael franti and spearhead their music is amazing and their lyrics are so true . .
  • Options
    Try Michael franti and spearhead their music is amazing and their lyrics are so true . .

Oh wow dude! I hadn't heard of this guy before now. Just looked/listened to "Time To Go Home" on YouTube .. awesome. :thumb:
  • Options
    If you want to watch a film to shake you out of apathy I suggest Gomorrah, it is supposed to be an amazing horrible dark look at Naples. Plus its won a fist load of awards.
  • Options
    I don't have the finances to do anything outside my comfort zone!
    Actually... I agree... Kinda.

I don't really have the time or the finances to do much. My hours have been cut, but I still get home late because of traffic.

I think that it's easier to be passionate and political when you don't have money to worry about.

I wouldn't say that I am personally apathetic, I just don't have the time and the money to really invest in my interests and let them bloom anymore.

Ahhh the life of a graduate.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Oh and as for the 'attitude' TT... C'mon dude... What were we doing together on March 9th? Not with apathetic people.

I think it depends where you look.

I think we will have a cultural and art revolution when the recession really kicks in. People will have more time to feel, create and get active because they won't be in work 48 hours a week.

The environmental movement is full of passionate people and music and it's growing (I believe)... You also had the people who rallied against the Iraq war. After the Tsumami people were clubbing together to raise money for the people affected. You had protests against the regime in Burma, you have people rallying for May Day...

Maybe we have reached an age where we are bombarded with too much information and too many things to be passionate about.

Check out Housman's Bookshop near Kings Cross by the way... It rocks. :)
  • Options
    I don't see a problem. People will always strive to live in an environment which is comfortable and suitable for them. Some may live uneventful lives, others will live life on the edge. As long as it does not negatively impact on anyone else I don't see why that should change.

Obviously the recession (I refuse to call it a 'credit crunch' which to me sounds like a breakfast cereal) is going to give many people a negative attitude but I don't see anything particularly apathetic about society - over the last 20 years or so society has become far too "I want so I'll have" which has been more destructive.

I live my life for my daughter, as long as she wakes up in her bed with a smile then anything else is a bonus.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that I am personally apathetic, I just don't have the time and the money to really invest in my interests and let them bloom anymore.

Ahhh the life of a graduate.:rolleyes:

Welcome to my world :) Beans on toast for lunch today, again. I do find myself politically apathetic now. 6 years ago I was fairly prolific on these boards.

Luckily I'm living in London now and can get involved in a lot of things for free. And I'm back on these boards now... guess it's personal effort that's the key. Find and ye shall seek Trinity.
  • Options
    its becoming more and morea case of if i want it i have to make it happen...
  • Options
    its becoming more and morea case of if i want it i have to make it happen...

Are you talking about your friend group in particular? You are living in London so it's hard to claim that there's not a lot going on. My friends are a bit like that here to... just have to take the bull by the horns and play leader yourself I suppose.
  • Options
    Its becoming more and more a case of if I want it I have to make it happen...

Isn't that the case with everyone? lol

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options
    Just because art is shit doesnt mean artists are apathetic.
  • Options
    Free the weed, lets start a revolution, I'm so groovy and open minded etc etc. :D