Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Clueless about make-up. Where to start?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Riiiiiiiiiight.

Wheres a girl to start with makeup?! I mean right from the basics. From what to use, how to put it on and in what order etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    I thought this was something you didnt need to ask about?! Its like all things womanly .. how to clean, how to cook .. how to moan .. its all natural!

*runs*
  • Options
    Haha!

I wish this was the case. I can clean, I can attempt to cook but I'm crap at looking pretty!
  • Options
    YouTube is your friend. Cheap make-up is not.

You can PM me if you like, I have far too much of the stuff and I know *some* about it, although I'm not amazing.

If you have a MAC counter near you (go to www.maccosmetics.co.uk and there's a search option - or if you can get to London there is a MAC Pro store off Carnaby Street and it's the most amazing place in the world) then I suggest going there because they can tell you what foundation is best for you, and what colours look good etc. It's quite expensive but it's worth it, I promise.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

You can PM me if you like, I have far too much of the stuff and I know *some* about it, although I'm not amazing.

If you have a MAC counter near you (go to www.maccosmetics.co.uk and there's a search option - or if you can get to London there is a MAC Pro store off Carnaby Street and it's the most amazing place in the world) then I suggest going there because they can tell you what foundation is best for you, and what colours look good etc. It's quite expensive but it's worth it, I promise.

Yeah when you gonna give me a makeup tutorial biznitch!!

Curvy girl I'm shit at makeup but just go step by step. No one really showed me how to use makeup either. I just watched my friends and tried it myself then asked if I looked like a weirdo or not. But don't be afraid to experiment either. Who cares if you go wrong, it usually comes off easily.
  • Options
    Yeah when you gonna give me a makeup tutorial biznitch!!

Curvy girl I'm shit at makeup but just go step by step. No one really showed me how to use makeup either. I just watched my friends and tried it myself then asked if I looked like a weirdo or not. But don't be afraid to experiment either. Who cares if you go wrong, it usually comes off easily.
    When you come and visit my house :p. I'm not carrying my traincase all the way to your house without a major incentive haha :p.
  • Options
    I would start with a trio of eyeshadows some mascara and a lip gloss rather than going for full blown foundation, blusher, and all that slap, at least while you're getting to grips with it.
  • Options
    I'm really shite at mascara. Whats the tricks? Lol.
  • Options
    I look in a mirror, pull a funny expression with my lips (totally obligatory), hold wand at lash base, more forward and backward a little to get lashes properly settled into the brush and then wipe towards end of lashes. I ain't no makeup queen though tbh...
  • Options
    Curvy_lass wrote: »
    I'm really shite at mascara. Whats the tricks? Lol.
    Tilt your head back and wiggle it so that it covers all of your lashes. For the bottom I've read that putting a bit of tissue under your lower lashes stops it from going all over your cheeks but I don't really have that problem.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

well most, no all, of my makeup is cheap, because i don't have any money. and i don't think i look that bad... :p

have you tried tinted moisturiser? that's what i use instead of foundation, and it's good to use if you want to kind of phase in wearing makeup instead of going from none to loads straight away. it's like foundation but a bit more subtle.

i don't think there's much point spending a fortune when you don't really know what you want, i would think it's better to do what katralla suggested and buy a few bits to experiment with first, then decide what look you like and then go for a big investment when you can afford it.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    well most, no all, of my makeup is cheap, because i don't have any money. and i don't think i look that bad... :p

Mine too!

Cheap make-up is actually ok at worst(my collection 2000 concealer shits all over the Benefit one I tried), and definitely has a place if you're not sure what kind of make-up you're into yet.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Mine too!

Cheap make-up is actually ok at worst(my collection 2000 concealer shits all over the Benefit one I tried), and definitely has a place if you're not sure what kind of make-up you're into yet.
    That's true. I still use my Maybelline concealer because buying MAC concealer isn't worth the money really.

I'd still invest in some make-up brushes though. Even just a couple of eyeshadow ones at first.
  • Options
    I always buy the cheap stuff! I've bought no7 before and it's no better than the cheap stuff, and the no7 foundation smells really funny!
  • Options
    I've always bought the cheap stuff bar some mascara from Benefit. I've used a blending brush once but I couldn't be arsed all the fannying about with it.

For foundation I would advise you to get one of those wee pots that has the loose powder that you can blend yourself. It's not too heavy on your skin and you know exactly where you're putting it plus you can get even coverage from it. (In comparison to the liquid stuff IMHO)

The one I use is this from Maybelline:-

maybelline_minceur_home_spa.gif

Because it does give such fab coverage it gives your face a matte effect with next to no shine, so I'd reccommend a blusher to give your cheeks a colour so you don't look as pale as a member of My Chemical Emo. A powder blusher is best. The one I wear is from Boots Natural Collection range. (I love their range as it is all under £2!)

I can't be arsed wearing lipgloss most days so I just wear Carmex lipbalm, or a red lipstick from Rimmell if I'm going out somewhere.

As for eyeliner/eyeshadow, it's probably best you avoid it until you've mastered putting on mascara and such. Mascara makes such a difference even if it's just a little bit you've put on. If you're worried about practising about mascara get a cheap clear mascara from Natural Collection. :) You get little mess but the advantage of practising!

This website's good for videos on how to for ideas on how it should be done, but not necessarily 'looks' which you need to copy.

http://www.videojug.com/tag/beauty-and-style

As everyone's said it's trial and error. I've been wearing make up properly since I was about 19 and I'm still nowhere as good as some people maybe but I've never had any complaints.

If you are going to try some make up, I'd get a cheap pack of babywipes so you can wipe off (make sure you dry your face again before putting anymore make up back on otherwise it'll just look weird!) and try again.

Once you get a bit more confident delve into eyeshadows, I lovelovelove the (CHEAP!) Boots 17 range and it lasts for aaaaaaages.

Good luck. :)

OH! Also, I don't think anyone's mentioned that it's best to start your make up once you've gave your face a good clean/moisturising. Your make up will last longer on your chops if you do it that way.
  • Options
    I use that!! The mineral powder foundation :)

It's light and because you can blend it yourself it doesnt look like you have plastered it on.

Also blistex is good or the aloe vera vaseline. I cant be arsed with lip glosses especially during the day and I'm too scared to try out lip stick
  • Options
    Hi for a light foundation that you cant really go wrong with try Benefits some-kinda-gorgeous...

This is a one-fits-all colour so you wont have orange lines!

I dont struggle with mascara but my newest mascara is really easy to use as it has a platic brush with plastic bristles...http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&productId=641439&callingViewName=&langId=-1&catalogId=11051

and instead of eyeshadow while you are just starting you could use this on its own ...http://www.benefitcosmetics.co.uk/gp/product/B000JJH47O/sr=1-4/qid=1223568546/ref=sr_1_4/026-6673144-2440430?ie=UTF8&n=48844031&bcBrand=core

I wont try and offer you advice on everything but these are the best three products i imagine would suit someone new to make up. Also the benefit counters will talk you through the products but make it clear that you dont want piles of make up on straightaway!!
  • Options
    howvere if you do want a proper foundation, I can recommend Revlons ColourStay! You may have to take some small pots into boots to get small testing amounts, never just buy a foundation (unless you cn afford to get rid if its the wrong colour!)
  • Options
    I have done it, I just informed a member of staff first, sometimes they do it for you so you don't take loads! :)
  • Options
    There are some brands that make eyeshadow sets specifically designed to enhance certain eye colours. They have a little guide on the back that shows you how to apply them.
  • Options
    Thanks all. The advice has been very informative and helpful. Perfect.