Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The government reshuffle just got weird...

Just when you thought that the political times couldnt get any stranger, they do, Mandleson is back in the cabinet being given Business to look after.

After the last two resignations, and that letter sent to a Brazilian vodo priest I really thought he'd gone forever.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7650013.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was confused when I saw this. Possibly because GB doesn't know what else to do he just wants to do something completely random? Don't think anyone including Mandelson saw it coming...
  • Options
    Third time lucky?
  • Options
    Here's a question, if supposedly there is a fair chance / opportunity for different people to be in government if you work hard etc., how are two brothers in there together? Out of 60 million citizens it's a bit of a coincidence. Although it is a leading question, my point being that 'jobs for the boys' and the idea that those in power keep the power inside their own circles is still true today as ever.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Here's a question, if supposedly there is a fair chance / opportunity for different people to be in government if you work hard etc., how are two brothers in there together? Out of 60 million citizens it's a bit of a coincidence. Although it is a leading question, my point being that 'jobs for the boys' and the idea that those in power keep the power inside their own circles is still true today as ever.

:lol: Do you know who their father was? I'm pretty sure the Miliband's didn't stroll in to government because their father was a Marxist academic. And I'm pretty sure you have to work hard to get a degree from Oxford... as they both have.

Of course Oxbridge does dominate in some areas, particularly government and law - although, it shouldn't really surprise anybody that people who attend two of the best universities in the world rise to positions of authority. However, it is interesting to note that Oxbridge dominates to nowhere near the same extent in business sectors.
  • Options
    Stroke of genius of desperation? I thought Brown and Mandy weren't the best of friends anyway...

He'd probably be better off employing Alistair Campbell as his media adviser. He hates him as much as everyone else, but at least his speeches would have some bite...
  • Options
    The tea ladies at Downing Street must have put a particularly strong drug in Gordon Brown's coffee these last few days. Nothing else can explain this news. This is probably the most fucked-up reshuffles I've ever seen. For years, there have been no end to reports that Macavity and Mandy absolutely hate each other. Earlier this year, Mandy accused Brown of losing his way and leaping onto "passing bandwagons". And now we see him coming back into the Cabinet for a third time?

I can't help but notice parallels with the Tories here. When Michael Howard became Tory leader, Labour taunted him by claiming the opposition was moving towards the future by going back to the past. Brown leaves himself open to similar accusations with this appointment.
  • Options
    He is a liar, a cheat, an asskissing toady and a general unpleasant bastard.

Sounds like perfect material for a business secretary!
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Stroke of genius of desperation? I thought Brown and Mandy weren't the best of friends anyway...

Utter desperation I think. Brown just doesn't give a toss any more. Surely if he did he would see the hypocrisy of proclaiming a new kind of politics – out with spin he said! – and resurrecting Peter - the corrupt master of spin - Mandelson.

He either thinks we're all stupid, and we won't notice this, or he's so utterly desperate that he just doesn't care any more.
  • Options
    As much as I think he is a nasty weasel, most of the accounts I have read of his role as EU Trade Commissioner have been positive. He may well be a loathsome individual, but if he's good at his job, should we care?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    As much as I think he is a nasty weasel, most of the accounts I have read of his role as EU Trade Commissioner have been positive. He may well be a loathsome individual, but if he's good at his job, should we care?

Possibly in that he's shown a lack of integrity. Lots of politicians are effective at their jobs, but do we trust them when it comes to the crunch?
  • Options
    Possibly in that he's shown a lack of integrity. Lots of politicians are effective at their jobs, but do we trust them when it comes to the crunch?

That's fair, do we want someone with lots of integrity managing Business at this time? Perhaps a weasel is our best bet.
  • Options
    That's fair, do we want someone with lots of integrity managing Business at this time? Perhaps a weasel is our best bet.

Hard to tell - there's probably only a limited amount even mandleson can do. It's a lot harder to play off Home Office against DWP to get what you want than to play off Ireland vs Spain, so I'm not convinced he's this wonder politician as claimed.

Personally I think its more a case of Brown wanting in the tent pissing out than out the tent pissing in
  • Options
    Personally I think its more a case of Brown wanting in the tent pissing out than out the tent pissing in

I think you are right, plus it is a nod to the Blairite section of the party.

Given he is being made a Lord to get into the cabinet, isnt this a lot like the US cabinet where they arent directly accountable to the electorate? How long has this been going on anyway, it seems dodgy to me.
  • Options
    I think you are right, plus it is a nod to the Blairite section of the party.

Given he is being made a Lord to get into the cabinet, isnt this a lot like the US cabinet where they arent directly accountable to the electorate? How long has this been going on anyway, it seems dodgy to me.

There's nothing unconstitutional about it, but it is weird. Hardly any depts have a Lord as SoS.

To be fair the US system is very different - the President is accountable. he can appoint anyone he likes to his cabinet. Our Ministers have to be members of Parliament (though he can appoint people as Lords)
  • Options
    To be fair the US system is very different - the President is accountable. he can appoint anyone he likes to his cabinet. Our Ministers have to be members of Parliament (though he can appoint people as Lords)

But if Lord Mandy is a minister he's not accountable, like those in the US cabinet, its not like he has any voters, and it takes a lot to be able to kick someone out of the Lords.
  • Options
    But if Lord Mandy is a minister he's not accountable, like those in the US cabinet, its not like he has any voters, and it takes a lot to be able to kick someone out of the Lords.

Sorry that's what I was trying to say.

He's unaccountable to the voters (but is to Parliament). In theory each minisiter is individually accountable to Parliament and the PM is only primus inter pares. It pretty unusual for someone to be Secretary of State and not in the lower house, where he has to answer to the commons (ie the people). But to be a Minister you must also be a member of the legislature

However the US system is very different because Cabinet members are appointed by the US president and it is he who is held to account. They don't have to be senators or congressmen and don't have to be in the legislature.

They are two very different systems is what I'm trying to say
  • Options

He's unaccountable to the voters (but is to Parliament). In theory each minisiter is individually accountable to Parliament and the PM is only primus inter pares.

In reality (its been that way since the beginning of the 20th century) its the other way round. For the most part the government tells the House to jump, and the House asks 'how high?'. So Buddha, you should be uneasy.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    In reality (its been that way since the beginning of the 20th century) its the other way round. For the most part the government tells the House to jump, and the House asks 'how high?'. So Buddha, you should be uneasy.

With my professional hat on I wish it was so...

Often what happens is that the House says I'll only jump if you do this and this first and I ain't going to jump at all if that clause stays in. Labour has several times failed to get through pieces of core legislation and other times has had to mangle them so that its useless. Same when the Tories were in power.

the House of Lords is even worse.

I think people don't understand how important Parliament is - it's much more than a rubber stamping exercise. if it was a rubber stamp for the Government it wouldn't matter where Mandleson sat.
  • Options
    But doesn't the government just ask for much more than they want so everyone then votes for the compromise which is all the government wanted in the first place?

Like the anti terrorism detention measures. Even if people were apposed to them they still increased.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But doesn't the government just ask for much more than they want so everyone then votes for the compromise which is all the government wanted in the first place?

Like the anti terrorism detention measures. Even if people were apposed to them they still increased.

Sometimes, but even some of its supporters now say the Act is so bowlderised its useless.

Also democratic government is a battle between different arguments, sometimes one of those arguments completely wins out, often one takes the uppper hand, but with compromises towards the other.

Government isn't as powerful as people often think - its often trying to balance various interests, giving something to one and something to another.
  • Options

He's unaccountable to the voters (but is to Parliament). In theory each minisiter is individually accountable to Parliament and the PM is only primus inter pares. It pretty unusual for someone to be Secretary of State and not in the lower house, where he has to answer to the commons (ie the people). But to be a Minister you must also be a member of the legislature

However the US system is very different because Cabinet members are appointed by the US president and it is he who is held to account. They don't have to be senators or congressmen and don't have to be in the legislature.

They are two very different systems is what I'm trying to say

Of course, I suppose this way there will at least be some accountability, in the US there is virtually none for the cabinet.

What I was trying to point out is that by making him a Lord he is less accountable than if he was an MP, and I'm not sure that's a good way to have our government.

Having said that though, Labour MP's in some safe seats are virtually unaccountable to the electorate, mine didnt even bother to put one leaflet through my door last election. He obviously felt so safe he didnt bother campaigning at all.
  • Options
    With my professional hat on I wish it was so...

Often what happens is that the House says I'll only jump if you do this and this first and I ain't going to jump at all if that clause stays in. Labour has several times failed to get through pieces of core legislation and other times has had to mangle them so that its useless. Same when the Tories were in power.

Fine. But that's legislation brought forward by the government. When it comes to the Cabinet being held to account by Parliament, short of a Vote of no Confidence (which is rare - we only had three in the 20th century) there's not much they can do.
  • Options
    Fine. But that's legislation. When it comes to the Cabinet being held to account by Parliament, short of a Vote of no Confidence (which is rare - we only had three in the 20th century) there's not much they can do.

But individual Ministers are held to account (and having worked as a Private secretary to a Minister would say they take it seriously indeed).

However we hold the Cabinet as a whole to account at elections.
  • Options
    But individual Ministers are held to account (and having worked as a Private secretary to a Minister would say they take it seriously indeed).

However we hold the Cabinet as a whole to account at elections.

That is true, but I would still rather have only those in the cabinet who actually have voters behind them. Especially given that a seat in the Lords lasts until death, not till the next election.
  • Options

How? (elections aside because that's really us holding them to account as oppose to Parliament).

I mean even when it comes to Parliament discussing touchy issues there are ways for the Govt to hinder them from doing so.

Private Member's Bills rarely go through. To me, the front-bench holds most of the power, it sets the agenda.
  • Options
    That is true, but I would still rather have only those in the cabinet who actually have voters behind them. Especially given that a seat in the Lords lasts until death, not till the next election.

I'd certainly prefer Secretaries of State were.

However, you'll always need one Minister who is a Lord, so that she can represent Government in that House
  • Options
    How? (elections aside because that's really us holding them to account as oppose to Parliament).

I mean even when it comes to Parliament discussing touchy issues there are ways for the Govt to hinder them from doing so.

Private Member's Bills rarely go through. To me, the front-bench holds most of the power, it sets the agenda.

Well it needs enough power to get its policies through - otherwise we'd still be arguing about abolishing slavery.

Private Members Bills are a bit of a waste and nothing to do with holding Govt to account.

But select committees, Public Accounts Committee, Parliamentary Questions (oral and written) etc hold us more to account than either the media or academics realise.

We accidently misled Parliament once and I thought my Minister was about to drop dead with horror, she wrote a grovelling note of apology and ran us ragged until it was sorted.
  • Options
    But select committees have been saying really critical things for ages and it just carries on. The Science and Technology Committee has harshly criticised the government on loads of seperate issues to no effect.
  • Options
    Yeh, they only have the power to advise, the government can choose not to take that advice.
  • Options
    Yeh, they only have the power to advise, the government can choose not to take that advice.

yep, that's probably good. Select Committees aren't infallible. However from my experience I'd say they follow most of it (and if they don't have a good reason they don't).