Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

McCain's Running Mate

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    And yeah, I actually feel sorry for McCain. Apparently he has only met her once before declaring her his running partner. And she wasn't even his first choice. Liberman was apparently an option early on. But due to the gridlock politics within the Republican party he had to choose her as Lieberman for example is not vocally anti-abortionist and that wouldn't fall well with the Republican backbone. How good would it have been if he had an independent as Vice President?

You feel 'sorry' for him? You say that he chose her because of her vocal anti-abortionist stand point. That sounds like a political move if I ever heard one - and so he is completely responsible for whom he chooses as his running mate. He isn't worth the sympathy.
    If she can give assurances that she will keep her fundamentalism to herself, it shouldn't be an issue.

But if her wacky beliefs are likely to influence her policies while in office, then it is a massive issue.

Her stance on abortion is nauseating enough.
    Her pastor is also a little scary i.e. Jesus wanted war in Iraq because he was prepared for it and is all about war, and he [the pastor, not Jesus] is a big supporter of Jews for Jesus and terrorist attacks on Jews are God's will because they won't convert to Christianity.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Anywhere else (in our society), this kind of people would be thought to be the village idiots and/or the crazy people living in that house. In the USA, they make them leaders...
    She also has the most irritating voice since Anne Widdecombe.
    Teagan wrote: »
    You feel 'sorry' for him? You say that he chose her because of her vocal anti-abortionist stand point. That sounds like a political move if I ever heard one - and so he is completely responsible for whom he chooses as his running mate. He isn't worth the sympathy.

Ok, sorry is probably the wrong word here. I just think its a shame that he didn't think his choice through. And I am sorry that he didn't choose another partner, which could have resulted in a much more interesting choice when it comes to the actual presidential elections.
    budda wrote: »
    First of all please please please try not to use terms like Left without actually stating what on earth you mean.

Don't worry, Budda. We're still awaiting an explanation of who the 'Liberal Elite' are!
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Ok, sorry is probably the wrong word here. I just think its a shame that he didn't think his choice through. And I am sorry that he didn't choose another partner, which could have resulted in a much more interesting choice when it comes to the actual presidential elections.

Ah, ok. I agree ... :)
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If she can give assurances that she will keep her fundamentalism to herself, it shouldn't be an issue.

Which is of course complely fine, we all have very varied views and they dont have to influence they way we do our job.

But can you imagine how a US vs. Iran stand off would be with her as President? 'With us or against us' 'Axis of evil'...
    Which is of course complely fine, we all have very varied views and they dont have to influence they way we do our job.

But can you imagine how a US vs. Iran stand off would be with her as President? 'With us or against us' 'Axis of evil'...

The chimp himself has similar sorts of beliefs yet nothing more than verbal threats has come about. I don't think that in the highly unlikely event she becomes President (McCain beating Obama and then dieing or getting impeached in office) that she'll invade Iran.
    It also proves that she will reject out of hand any evidence that proves her literal interpretation of the bible wrong.

She is a very long way short of a literal interpretation of the bible.
    Whoever found her and picked her made an excellent choice in terms of finding someone that would compete against the democrats for votes.

I bet in many ways Obama is wishing he'd picked Hilary now as that would have cancelled out a lot of Sarah Palin's appeal to voters.
    DG wrote: »
    I bet in many ways Obama is wishing he'd picked Hilary now as that would have cancelled out a lot of Sarah Palin's appeal to voters.

I doubt there are all that many cross over voters, Clinton and Palin have quite different views on a lot of issues.
    I doubt there are all that many cross over voters, Clinton and Palin have quite different views on a lot of issues.

I think you're mistaken.. extremely mistaken in fact...

For many voters in the USA they don't care about issues - they vote for the person .. George W Bush comes across quite well to many people even if people don't agree with his policies.

When Arnie became governor of California do you really think he was chosen on the issues he stood for or because voters could identify with him?

This is how many people he had to beat to get the job

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c6/Sample_ballot_for_CA_recall.png

Do you really think he had the best policy out of soooo many candidates?

If Gordan Brown has a better set of policies then whoever happens to be leader of the Conservatives at the time do you think he'll win? or will people just vote against him because they don't like him?

If Richard Branson stood for PM don't you think he'd pull in loads of votes just because people like him?

Do you really think people put that much thought into the issues?