Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you believe ..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you believe that people come in and out of our lives for a reason?

I firmly believe they do. That they're sent by angels and often that one person can make such a difference.

Poppi

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't believe that "everything happens for a reason", no. I do believe that some things happen for a reason, but most things (and most people) just come in our lives like we come to theirs.
    Remember, there's no difference between "me" and everyone else; everyone is a "me" just as much as I am, and same goes to you. If you believe everyone is in your life to play a purpose, then you must also believe that you are in everyone else's life to play a purpose as well.
  • Options
    i don't agree at all. but it depends on how you define reason.

from a cause and effect point of view, then everything does happen for a reason.

but i disagree with a "it was destiny we met" style point of view.

if people come into my life, or leave then it's down to a big chain of events that is ultimately out of our control. but i don't think that it's divine intervension, moreso coincidence.
  • Options
    No.

Best way I can describe it is "Shit happens".
  • Options
    Yes, but only because every single action in the universe since its inception is pre-determined - all matter reacts the in a predictable way, therefore all chemical reactions since the start of time have led along a pre-determined path, including all our emotions which govern our actions.
  • Options
    I've had a girl tell me i was sent by an angel to save her... if i was the angel never left a calling card or anything, or even told me!

People are themselves every day, sometimes you meet someone who is just the right person you need at that time - a listener when you need to vent for example, a rich lonely man when you are poor and horny is a more crude one - I do not think things happen for a reason, we just find reason in them to explain our actions to ourselves.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    No.

Yeah. I agree. We put to much emphasis on 'destiny' when in fact, we have to take what we are given and do the best we can under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    g_angel wrote: »
    No.

I elaborate on that by saying "Shit happens, but mainly to me - so you need not worry."
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Yeah. I agree. We put to much emphasis on 'destiny' when in fact, we have to take what we are given and do the best we can under the circumstances.

:yes: Agreed. I don't believe that the world is pre-determined, and that we're just following along paths that have already been set out and cannot be altered, which would be implied by the suggestions that we meet specific people for specific reasons. I believe what happens in the next 10second is unpredictable and therefore can be whatever you want to happen in the next 10 seconds. Otherwise it's all a bit depressing, thinking you've got no control over how your life will be.
  • Options
    Be careful of the ramifactions of your beliefs, Poppi. Because you're also strongly implying angels send people out to rape and murder.
  • Options
    sometimes, and then some people are just there to make you laugh/get in your way/or fuck you over. fate is a very stange consept as is everything being a considence...there has to be an inbetween
  • Options
    i sometimes wonder this
  • Options
    Not as if it's pre-determined, but I do believe that most people in our lives have some sort of significance, teach us something, add something.
    Think I first got it from a book though.
  • Options
    Don?t be a pillock, Illuminatus. I never implied anything of the sort.
  • Options
    I'm being deadly serious.

If people enter our lives as a result of some divine plan, then why is it only the people who have a positive effect who 'count'? Surely if everything is predetermined then even the bad things are a result of destiny?
  • Options
    Well... what you're really debating is free will. Saying you believe strongly in fate is just a watered down version of that. And that would logically have to apply to everyone, for everything, not just the good things, hence Illuminatus's angel rape comment. It's too convenient otherwise.
  • Options
    Most of them do. It's just sometimes, those people disappear from your life as quickly as they came into it. :(
  • Options
    Trying to come up with some type of theory for pre-determination is the mind's way of attempting to cope with the sheer, unimaginable unlikliness of everything that happens to us.
    Whilst for every action there is an equal and opposing reaction, for every action there is also an infinite number of possible outcomes, because you're dealing with free will.

I believe in free will, coincidences and luck. Nothing is set in stone until it's happened.
  • Options
    No.

I believe we create meaning for our own lives based upon our events and our actions which we are responsible for.

Any of my mates I have met because I talked to and liked them and because I am social, not because of something more profound.

I always think it is easy to believe that things happen for a reason when, like myself and possibly other posters out there, you are living a comfortable life in a warm house, in country which is not being bombed. When you are not at constant fear of being tortured, executed and raped.

I believe that any idea of destiny or "it happened for a reason"removes some, if not all responsibility from the hands of people who abuse human rights and destroy our environment. If some people are meant to live comfortably, then why isn't the majority world allowed such a life? Where is the "meaning" in that?

Things happen, human beings are as capable of inflicting pain as we are of practicing compassion. The only meaning comes from after an event, when we choose how it impacts our lives.
  • Options
    Do you believe that people come in and out of our lives for a reason?

I firmly believe they do. That they're sent by angels and often that one person can make such a difference.

Poppi

No. I don't really believe in mystic things.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Trying to come up with some type of theory for pre-determination is the mind's way of attempting to cope with the sheer, unimaginable unlikliness of everything that happens to us.
    Whilst for every action there is an equal and opposing reaction, for every action there is also an infinite number of possible outcomes, because you're dealing with free will.

I believe in free will, coincidences and luck. Nothing is set in stone until it's happened.

I don't believe in free willl. All current and future actions are determined by previous actions, so "choice" doesn't really exist IMO. That's not to say that some kind of intelligence has pre-determined everything, but having choice in our everyday actions is severly limited because of this.
  • Options
    I'd love for that to be true, but, well, it's pretty obviously not. Maybe you can feel that way about things, when looking back from a happy, content place...I'll let you know when I get there.
  • Options
    Theres a book that within states that stuff that happens around you is always a sign that includes the people that come in and out of your life.

Its called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

This is one perons perspective, I also do believe things happen for a reason. I'm a firm believer in God and that he will help you find the right path in your life if you ask him and if this means people coming into your life, good or bad, theres always a positive intention.
  • Options
    Theres a book that within states that stuff that happens around you is always a sign that includes the people that come in and out of your life.

Its called The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

Pah! The book's a load of tosh! I remember one memorable part that says you should not associate with fat people 'cos they bring negativity into your life, etc. The book has a theme of greed and blaming-the-victim, and it nastily suggests that victims of catastrophe are the authors of their misfortunes (tell that to the starving family in Ethiopia). Avoid the book at all costs unless you want to laugh at peoples' stupidity in believing that crap.
  • Options
    Pah! The book's a load of tosh! I remember one memorable part that says you should not associate with fat people 'cos they bring negativity into your life, etc. The book has a theme of greed and blaming-the-victim, and it nastily suggests that victims of catastrophe are the authors of their misfortunes (tell that to the starving family in Ethiopia). Avoid the book at all costs unless you want to laugh at peoples' stupidity in believing that crap.

I never read the book, I came across that information on another website. I can't believe she shuns fat people, fatties are some of the nicest people there is.
  • Options
    I never read the book, I came across that information on another website. I can't believe she shuns fat people, fatties are some of the nicest people there is.

Indeed! Take Father Christmas for instance ... :p
  • Options
    Yes even fictional fatties :D
  • Options
    Not exactly related here, but I often find that people seem to think that "unpredictable" and "predetermined" are opposites. They totally aren't; for all we know, everything is predetermined, we just think it's not because we can't predict the outcome.
  • Options
    for all we know, everything is predetermined, we just think it's not because we can't predict the outcome.

The above should read :
    for all we know, everything MAY BE predetermined, we just think it's not because we can't predict the outcome.

If EVERYTHING is predetermined, stop the world because I want to get off, because it has been predetermined pretty shit.
  • Options
    The above should read :

If EVERYTHING is predetermined, stop the world because I want to get off, because it has been predetermined pretty shit.
    Sorry, perhaps this bit of my English is imperfect: I thought that when you say "for all we know", the "may be" part isn't needed, since I've already said we don't know.

And in any case, even if it is all predetermined, what difference does it make to you? You still will choose what you think is best and live with the choice's outcome. Predetermined or not, it makes no difference whatsoever.
  • Options
    And in any case, even if it is all predetermined, what difference does it make to you? You still will choose what you think is best and live with the choice's outcome. Predetermined or not, it makes no difference whatsoever.

Well, it does. Take global warming. Why not just on our arses because if it's predetermined that it happens, there is nothing we can do about it - or, if it is resolved, it will resolve without us anyway.

'Predetermination' is just mumbo jumbo claptrap to absolve people from responsibility.