Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do you believe ..

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think you misunderstood me.

Let's think about flipping a coin. Which side it will fall on depends on a number of factors: How you held it, how much force you used to flip it, how much it weighs, how the wind was blowing, the surface it falls on and many others. All these factors are very specific, you just don't can't measure them all to calculate the outcome (and even if you could, by the time you finished many of them would have changed).
    If you believe the above, which side the coin will fall on is predetermined. But you'd still use it as a way to decide between two things, because it's unpredictable.

On your example: If everything is predetermined, global warming is too, yes. But the reason for it is also predetermined. It doesn't mean it's not because of people, it most likely is. The fact that people would cause it was predetermined, and whether we'll stop it also is. But you don't know either way, so to you (and me) it makes no difference.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The thought that everything is predetermined is ridiculous.

People entering your life for a reason?
    That would assume that either you consider yourself the centre of the universe in a 'Truman Show' kind of way, or that you yourself enter other peoples lives 'for a reason' as well.

Just because you fail to fathom something doesn't mean it's impossible.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    drumbeat wrote: »
    The thought that everything is predetermined is ridiculous.
    Just because you fail to fathom something doesn't mean it's impossible.
    ;):p
  • Options
    touche. ;)

Although when i say ridiculous, I mean improbable rather than impossible.

You know what I mean though...
  • Options
    It's one of those catch 22 situation. Our lives are predetermined but they're also not predetermined. Though the reason why it's predetermined has nothing to do with angels, I think that's a load of bullshit. :p