Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Internet Stalking - Help Please?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Has Melian actually reported this so called stalking to a mod? Because usually they'd have dealt with it now and come and said something (this isn't a dig at the mods for being slow or anything by the way, just wondering! :) )
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Oh dear God.

This is a little bit daft, IMHO.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Melian, to be honest, I'm finding this all a little confusing, but if there's owt you want doing this end then just give me a shout. :)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Has Melian actually reported this so called stalking to a mod? Because usually they'd have dealt with it now and come and said something (this isn't a dig at the mods for being slow or anything by the way, just wondering! :) )

Yes I have. But the mods don't actually care. After reporting several posts, (not on here) I then asked for the thread to be deleted. I got told 'we don't see anything wrong with what the other posters are doing?' One of them joined up to just attack me. Nothing wrong with that clearly.:rolleyes: And it happened on both of the forums. I then had an unrelated thread of mine (it was the one where they were posting that stuff people mentioned earlier) of mine had turn into pretty much the same thing.

So after this, I PM'ed one of the people invovled (this was the night after being told for calling her a male:blush: ) and told them to leave me alone and not to bother replying to any of my posts. I think just before this (or after) they'd attacked me, accusing me of lying. I'd put something in my profile on one of the other forums and then had people google this information. They'd somehow decided that I was talking rubbish and started to attack me again.
    I really don't think this is internet stalking, it's a case of more than one person using the same forums and seeing the same posts there and having the same thoughts on the posts they see.

They're putting my username into Google, clicking on whatever comes up and then are joining said forums to attack me. Nothing wrong weith that, no?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Yes I have. But the mods don't actually care. After reporting several posts, (not on here)

I meant on here. You said someone on here is involved so you should report it to a mod if you want it to stop. Can't say much for the other forums, they might not be managed as well as this one
  • Options
    Or they are finding your posts on forums they happen to use anyway!

If you think they are searching your name, register a new account and don't put any put any details in your profile.
  • Options
    If you think they are searching your name, register a new account and don't put any put any details in your profile.

There are some forums that require you to put certain information in your profile.

Anyway, I came here for some help; a not a debate to whether or not I'm actually being stalekd or not. None of you know the full story.
  • Options
    There are some forums that require you to put certain information in your profile.

Anyway, I came here for some help; a not a debate to whether or not I'm actually being stalekd or not. None of you know the full story.

... and as usual, you're not telling. Which is no use whatsoever. :rolleyes: :yeees:
  • Options
    G_Angel - if you're not going to help me, then just get lost.
  • Options

Just pointing out that you're consistently useless.

"Oh, I've got a problem"

*advice given*

*advice not what you want to hear*

"Oh, you don't know the story, and I'm not going to tell you because I'm a pain in the arse"

:yeees:
  • Options

He's trying! We all are, but as usual you're so frustratingly cryptic that its impossible
  • Options
    LOOOOOL g_angel
  • Options
    Melian I think you have to realise that when you post something on the internet you are putting it in the public domain and your writing something which is there for everyone to see.

However if someone is constantly harrasing you - sending you nasty message or using your user name or details to pretend to be you and writing malicios things then you can report it to the police.

But you will have to be prepared to give them the full story - you can't just go i'm being stalked - you have to set out rationally what the exact problem is and give as much information as possible.

Your sometimes to confused by what the actual problem is - and you state it wrong which is why people get frustrated with you. So for example in the other thread you said the problem was that you wanted a lap top and you wern't getting it - but that isn't your actual problem - its what you propose will addres the problem.

The actual problem is that you have a visual impairment which means that your eyes dont' focus in the same ways that other peoples do (plus a whole lot more i am not qualified to put properly) which means you have to see things on a large screen. As things which would normally help such as large text etc don't help your proposing that this problem is solved by having a large screen.

Here are some links to sites which tell you how to protect yourself from cyber staking in the future
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/media_literacy/safeInt/
    http://www.sfwa.org/gateway/stalking.htm
    http://www.iwf.org.uk/public/page.20.358.htm
  • Options
    Melian, I'm trying to come up with solutions that will help with your current problem.

They won't help with what most people interpret as stalking, but they will solve most of what I understand to be your current problem with people finding your username on various sites.

There are very few sites that require profile information that is actually displayed. Student room for example asks for loads of info when you register, but once you get past user name, email, (hidden ) DoB and passwod it's all optional. I don't know if you can see it, but most registrations forms have red starred (*) fields that are compulsory and the rest you can then leave blank.

EG. I have 2 accounts on Student Room, my personal one and my one when I have my uni access worker hat on, there is no way anyone would link the two up as being the same person, because there's nothing that the two have in common other than the DoB and contact email which no one can see.

The help we are offering is the is the best we can give based on the information we've got. If it's stalking where they are tracing your IP address etc then fair enough, but that's dealt with differently and as such to give advice for that you'd need to tell us.
  • Options

There are very few sites that require profile information that is actually displayed. Student room for example asks for loads of info when you register, but once you get past user name, email, (hidden ) DoB and passwod it's all optional. I don't know if you can see it, but most registrations forms have red starred (*) fields that are compulsory and the rest you can then leave blank.

I didn't find this at all last night. It was moaning at me because I hadn't filled in at least 3 boxes, which when I was regtering, I didn't have to fill in.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    g_angel wrote: »
    Just pointing out that you're consistently useless.

"Oh, I've got a problem"

*advice given*

*advice not what you want to hear*

"Oh, you don't know the story, and I'm not going to tell you because I'm a pain in the arse"

:yeees:
    Yeah, I haven't even bothered cause its such a predictable series of events.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Yeah, I haven't even bothered cause its such a predictable series of events.

Yup - I now have this firmly etched into my mind, as have numerous others.
  • Options
    Melian, what is it you are looking for? You have been given lots and lots of good advice, on both of your recent threads but it still isn't good enough. What else can people do? If you are not prepared to give people the "full story" then how are people able to give you accurate advice?

My personal impression is that you *are* giving the full story but just don't like the advice you have been given. In which case, the responses you are getting are rather restrained because if it was me (and not scary_monster or g_angel or others) then I would be telling you where to stick the advice, and it wouldn't be nice.

And for what it's worth, I have managed to do a g_angel and find your posts on other forums, and from what I can see, there is no 'internet stalking', just the same levels of frustration and paranoia. But now you will probably accuse me of 'internet stalking' the way you have 'accused' kate-.
  • Options
    The irony is that Melian has made such a fuss now people ARE going to other forums to look at her posts, where as no-one was even the slightest bit interested before!
  • Options
    The irony is that Melian has made such a fuss now people ARE going to other forums to look at her posts, where as no-one was even the slightest bit interested before!

:yes:

She has now had most of the 'interesting' posts deleted as well. Some of them were quite scathing.
  • Options
    The internet is the perfect place for stalkers and weirdos alike. I suggest you just get along and enjoy your places especially this board where you are unlikely to have any trouble because it is well managed. Any stalkers then you can report to the management to deal with. Stalking is a form of harrassment so anyone persisting to stalk you can be banned off the network by their computer's IP address.

If you are being stalked across other boards then find a private forum where your messages can not be read by non-members. If when about to join another site then change your user name. And never post your email or contactable addresses neither give hint on where exactly you are living except perhaps the town.

Google will continue the way it intends to go on. Those who stalk have nothing else better to do but use it. Give them the finger and unless they are stalking you down the high street in which case kick em in the effing bollocks and a second time for good measure, then get to enjoy fine boards like this.

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    :yes:.

I totally looked on MSE. Couldn't find anything, but I didn't really know what I was looking for.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    :yes:.

I totally looked on MSE. Couldn't find anything, but I didn't really know what I was looking for.
    I couldn't find it either - I'm a shit stalker :(
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I couldn't find it either - I'm a shit stalker :(

She's had most of the stuff deleted.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    She's had most of the stuff deleted.
    Damn. Was it interesting?
  • Options

No. A lot of it was people accusing me of lying/making up my illness and being a 'troll.'
  • Options

It was all similar to here, tbh. A lot of the same meh.
  • Options
    It was all similar to here, tbh. A lot of the same meh.
    So no then :p.
  • Options
    Omg this is the most confusing thread ever.

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?

After reading the whole thread it seems like a well planned joke Melian might be playing on us. Something like *go to two forums create similar threads and watch the havoc while i be dumb and unspecific*

lol!

oh well, good luck with... whatever your problem is :wave:
  • Options
    Omg this is the most confusing thread ever.

Understatement of the year there me thinks ;)