Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Internet Stalking - Help Please?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm being internet stalked by various people (including someone on here...) on various forums. They've decided it's a good idea to google my name, join up to the forums that come up and attack me there. What do I do?

I know that if someone from another forum was to join somewhere I post, they will come across my posts (I've had this conversation with someone before and I know they've come across my posts, as they've replied to me) but I do not expect to be stalked, called a troll, liar and being accused of faking an illness, which is quite rare.

The moerators don't seem to care one bit and I had to report several posts, my thread (to get it deleted) and then say something publicy on the forum before anything was done about it.

Comments

• Options
    Melian wrote: »
    I'm being internet stalked by various people (including someone on here...) on various forums. They've decided it's a good idea to google my name, join up to the forums that come up and attack me there. What do I do?

I know that if someone from another forum was to join somewhere I post, they will come across my posts (I've had this conversation with someone before and I know they've come across my posts, as they've replied to me) but I do not expect to be stalked, called a troll, liar and being accused of faking an illness, which is quite rare.

The moerators don't seem to care one bit and I had to report several posts, my thread (to get it deleted) and then say something publicy on the forum before anything was done about it.

Wow!

Not sure what to suggest, but that's not nice. No idea why people invest the time and energy in nonsense like that. :yeees:

I hope it gets sorted out.
  • Options
    That's horrible. Some forums aren't managed properly I think so I just don't post there. I know it's unfair but maybe limit the forums you post on so that they are moderated and report the stalker to the mods/admin.
  • Options
    perhaps you could put in your signature on forums that you are being stalked by a disturbed individual and maybe this would discourage them.
  • Options
    Woah.. :rolleyes:

Me randomly coming accross the exact same thread on MSE is not stalking if you are referring to me.

I was joking with the username comment which I'll go and edit. I was just interested with the two different debates of the topic. Hardly stalking.

If youre not referring to me fine otherwise get a grip.

EDIT: Edited both of my posts.
  • Options
    I did think of you Kate but I don't think you seeing a post on another forum would be regarded as stalking so I wouldn't worry!

Melian how long has this been going on? If its someone on this forum have you reported it to a mod, they're usually pretty good at dealing with these things quickly
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    If its someone on this forum have you reported it to a mod, they're usually pretty good at dealing with these things quickly

:yes:
    Jim, Helen, et al wouldn't stand for it. PM them.
  • Options
    That's horrible. Some forums aren't managed properly I think so I just don't post there. I know it's unfair but maybe limit the forums you post on so that they are moderated and report the stalker to the mods/admin.

Agreed, I only post here cos I've been on crap forums before. Also why don't you sign up to other forums with a different name, then you're less easy to trace
  • Options
    One way to stop it continuing further would be to use different names on the different forums.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Ooooer, maybe it's me :chin:

I signed up to MSE after seeing Kate's post. I forgot about that place and wanted to find out some information (alas, not on Melian or anything linked with her current situation).
  • Options
    Ooooer, maybe it's me :chin:

I signed up to MSE after seeing Kate's post. I forgot about that place and wanted to find out some information (alas, not on Melian or anything linked with her current situation).

STALKER! :shocking:
  • Options
    Mse?
  • Options
    Money Saving Expert
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    STALKER! :shocking:

I admit it.

I have nothing better to do with my time than go and follow random people on the internet for no real reason apart from to laugh and point.

My bad :(

:p
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »
    Woah.. :rolleyes:

Me randomly coming accross the exact same thread on MSE is not stalking if you are referring to me.

I was joking with the username comment which I'll go and edit. I was just interested with the two different debates of the topic. Hardly stalking.

If youre not referring to me fine otherwise get a grip.

EDIT: Edited both of my posts.

I've just done a bit of reading (slooooow day in the office) as I was curious what this was about, and yes, I think it is aimed at you. MSE have now deleted the thread that matches this one, but there are other threads ridiculing and quoting what Melian has asked/written.

Melian - your usernames are completely different on here and on MSE, and so I am not sure how exactly you think somebody googled your name maliciously, pulling it out of thin air, and then went after you on other forums?! This will have been stumbled upon by accident as you asked the exact same thing and got very similar answers.

No, I am not going to write what your username is, as there would be no purpose to that, but it's fairly easy to figure it out on MSE if you search with the right parameters.

Get a grip, for God's sake. You're not being stalked. :yeees:
  • Options
    They've put my name into Google, joined up on forums and started attacking me FFS.

They been reported, but the mods clearly couldn't care less. (I had to ask 3 timesto get a thread deleted)
    perhaps you could put in your signature on forums that you are being stalked by a disturbed individual and maybe this would discourage them.

Isn't stuff like this asking for trouble?
    Melian - your usernames are completely different on here and on MSE, and so I am not sure how exactly you think somebody googled your name maliciously, pulling it out of thin air, and then went after you on other forums?!

There's another forum and I use the same name on that.
  • Options
    They've put my name into Google, joined up on forums and started attacking me FFS.

A-ha, ok, they've put your other username in and googled AFTER finding it out on MSE?

There's another forum and I use the same name on that.

Perhaps you should now request an ID change. :)
  • Options
    I put your name into google after reading this and all you get is links for The Silmarillion, and some pet supplies and some woman in America. You have to google quite specifically even to come up with your profile for here which is actually quite unusual given how boosted thesite is in google searches.
  • Options
    oh ... after MSE ... ok :blush:
  • Options
    Was it aimed at kate??
  • Options
    Doesn't matter who it is. I came here to ask for advice.
  • Options
    My advice is -

1. Report stuff on here to the mods who are reasonable.
    2. Don't put anything on the 'net that you don't want people to know.
    3. Remember that they are just folk on the 'net. Hopefully you have not put any personally identifiable details online so there's not much anyone can do to you.
  • Options

Have you put in a request to change your user IDs?
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Hopefully you have not put any personally identifiable details online so there's not much anyone can do to you.

Which I haven't done, as I'm not that stupid.

I have requested my username to be changed have edited my profile completely, but admin always take ages to sort anything out.
  • Options
    Which I haven't done, as I'm not that stupid.

I have requested my username to be changed have edited my profile completely, but admin always take ages to sort anything out.

At least it's a start :)
  • Options
    Legally there's fuck all you can do. If its an established site like this the mods will take action as appropriate. If its a dodgier site or with mods who don't really care what goes on, your reputation and character can be utterly assassinated by internet message boards / public forums. Particularly if the site is hosted by a foreign server, its very hard to clear things. And often hard to anyway as some things could be seen as criticism of a person which is not illegal rather than harrassment. A dodgy area that will take a while before laws get established properly about it. For now if I've ever needed revenge on someone its always been through destroying their reputation online - posting things (with a false IP) on a hundred message boards, such as a fake press release as if it was in the papers embarrassing them with their university / hometown all in so whenever they're Googled it comes up. Sounds nasty but believe me they asked for it. Anyway, just ensure somehow this stuff stops immediately before your name is spread everywhere and impossible to get rid of. x
  • Options

Well actually it does because if its aimed at Kate then you're badmouthing a clearly innocent member of this site. Which is why I'm asking if you meant her
  • Options
    Well actually it does because if its aimed at Kate then you're badmouthing a clearly innocent member of this site. Which is why I'm asking if you meant her

I totally second this.

I can't help but to say that I went onto the MSE forum the other day (before I read this thread) and was browsing, as I sometimes do. I came across one thread about someone who was complaining/asking for advice about their college refusing them a laptop because of their eye condition/disability. Now I'm no stalker but I did immediatly associate that thread with the one I read on here by you and therefore knew it was you who was posting. Your replies to their suggestions confirmed this for me - yet I didn't feel the need to poke my nose in and point it out that I had seen you whining on about exactly the same thing in another forum on here. Anyway.

My point is that it doesn't take someone who is a stalker to come across, very randomly and innocently two users from two forums and "matching" them together as one person. That is a risk you take when you post your experiences and situations on what I suppose are, very popular and highly googled forums.
  • Options

Ah we shall take that as a yes then. :)

Get over your self for fucks sake.

I don't even know your name, age or even rough area you come from and tbf I dont remotely care.

My advice to you is if your that bothered about people knowing two different usernames prehaps you shouldnt post the EXACT same thread at the same time on two well known boards otherwise it doesnt take a genius to relate the two profiles :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I really don't think this is internet stalking, it's a case of more than one person using the same forums and seeing the same posts there and having the same thoughts on the posts they see.
  • Options
    I really don't think this is internet stalking, it's a case of more than one person using the same forums and seeing the same posts there and having the same thoughts on the posts they see.

I didnt give my opinion on either website.

I dont know enough about computers or what colleges should/have to do to support disabled students.

I was just curious what was being said.