Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling the pinch?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1.5 of you?
  • Options
    ahhh, i was all excited there for a minute
  • Options
    :(:( your time will come
  • Options
    i've actually noticed that some of the branded stuff is actually cheaper than the supermarkets own brands at the moment so worth checking that out.

for example...tesco toilet rolls were more expensive than some expensive quilted shit.
  • Options
    they rely on people not checking I think. Value stuff isnt as cheap as it was either.
    an example, I usually buy UHT milk and i was looking at the value stuff, it used to be 37p a litre and now its 49p. only 1p less than the moo milk i prefer (smaller cooperative of farmers), although tescos own (non value) is 67p
  • Options
    Take advantage of offers on long life stuff (or toilettries etc) and stock up.
  • Options
    FF - if you don't fancy lasagne two days running, make another one up with what's left of your ingredients and freeze it for a later date :)

For convenience, I'm terrible for getting it all from Tesco, Asda or Morrisons. Every few months i have been trying to stick to a set budget for food but I also have a bad habit of not prepping lunch in advance and ending up nipping to Tesco or the petrol station nearest work which costs a fortune! We have been making an effort to eat from the freezer lately, both to cut down on buying more stuff and to make more room so we can freeze some of the bread buns we buy cos otherwise they get left on the side and go green due to laziness! :(

Ideally, I would go to the market (or separate greengrocers, bakers and butchers) and Netto/Aldi/Lidl for the branded stuff we know, Wilkos/Savers for toiletries and then only Tesco for the few bits I hadn't been able to get anywhere else. I'm intending to do this once I'm not at work [full-time].
  • Options
    meal planning is a good idea if youre on a budget
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

So what products have you noticed going through the roof and what's hit you the hardest? Have you changed how you shop and eat?

My food shopping has gone up a lot recently although in part this is due to a change of eating habits e.g. more fruits and salad which is quite expensive compared to other foods.

At Sainsbury's you used to be able to buy own brand cans of pulses and beans (like chick peas, haricot beans etc) three-for-a-pound. Now they have stopped doing this, they are all in the region of 40p or more per can, which whilst only a few pence is actually quite a large percentage. And then I noticed that the cans have gotten less in now as well, the total drained weight is a bit less although most people wouldn't really notice as the can is te same size they've just added more water. I recently went back to buying dried versions of these things, a lot more effort but it does work out cheaper.

I'm lucky to not have to watch my food budget too closely, it has gone up from about £20 per week to about £30 per week (at the same time as me losing my appetite, oh the irony!!) on food but I can afford the extra money luckily. Having severe depression also helps with the money situation I find, almost never being able to go out the house works out pretty cheap so every cloud has a silver lining :)
  • Options
    I couldnt really say I have notice how much prices have gone up. I dont really take any notice of the price of things (even though im skint)

Most mornings I struggle to remeber my name, let alone the price yesterdays milk.
  • Options
    not to mention about a million times nicer

Oh yes. Plus you can put brandy in your brownies. :yum:
  • Options
    I'm living in Lidals at the moment, and buy toilettries from Wilko or Savers. Even with staff discount it's bloody expensive!
  • Options
    Yeah I've noticed the price changes, the 'standard' bill for shopping has increased quite a bit.

I'm however well enough off and am lucky to be living with my parents still so the price of food gets split between the three of us.

I'm guilty of shopping in the priciest stores though. I've got a newfound love for vegetarian-ish cooking and am injecting a lot of fruit and veg into my regular diet so I like to go where they sell the stuff I want and have nice looking fruit&veg. I've however cut back a lot in the meat department and that's already saving quite a lot. I also buy less meat at a time but rather opt to buy nicer meat which sort of balances it out. Lamb fillet. :yum:

Then I quite enjoying stuff like pasta where I use random stuff in the kitchen to flavour it. That can save as I won't need to buy anything for it and use things I might otherwise neglect and end up throwing.

I think meal planning of some degree is helpful regardless of whether people are on a budget or not. Knowing what to eat takes a lot of thinking out of the equation and for me it saves time and I can get to preparing meals right away rather than come home after work tired and not know what I want.
    Another thing that's helped me is that I've started writing down what I need before I go shop and it saves lots of time and I don't buy much on impulse anymore.
  • Options
    I think it's a lot easier to shop cheaply when you've got time to visit more than one place - for example, when I lived away from home I used to go to Lidl first and buy my dried goods, tins and booze, then get my veg box on a weds morning so go to Asda on weds evening to stock up on branded things (which Lidl didn't stock) and any supplementary vegetables, and then to the butcher to get cheapy cuts of meat on my lunch break. It's quite time consuming.

I do love Lidl, but the veg selection is very limited and the fresh meat is rubbish - it doesn't last as long as the best before date at all.
  • Options
    i couldnt believe de cecco wholewheat pasta was 1.82! the difference between premium and budget wholeweat pasta is barely noticable imho.
  • Options
    There are some top of the range things that I am not willing to compromise on. Though I always give value stuff a try. I will argue with anyone that tesco-value 8p noodles are ten times better than sherwoods. That said steer clear of tesco value tuna :yuck:
  • Options
    The price of food has gone up by a lot. My family have to plan meals and cut out all snacks, drinks and other stuff. We have to walk to the supermarket instead of getting the bus to save money too. I buying the expensive versions of some things is fine if you make up for it by buying the value versions of other things.
  • Options
    I really started feeling the pinch today. £1.19 for a McFlurry, WTF! :shocking:
  • Options
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    I get all my frozen stuff from Farmfoods, its so cheaper than the supermarkets.

I've never even heard of them before you mentioned them

http://www.farmfoods.co.uk/index.php

Nearest store seems about 20 miles away from me
  • Options
    This may help

http://www.couponnet.co.uk

They list coupon for food - for instance there's one to get a free Litre of Milk

Not much but it all helps. :)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Figures today in the press didnt make for good reading, most meat/dairy products have risen 15% in the last year!
  • Options
    Apparently the cost of a standard shopping basket (something they use for inflation and stuff) has risen 27% since the same time last year.
  • Options
    Yes i certainly am! And seeing as I won't eat meat that's not free range...I'm practically vegetarian as I can't afford to buy free range meat. In saying that, I can only afford fruit and veg when it's on offer so can't pick and choose.

But then I just remember how poor some countries are and it makes me feel lucky that I can afford fresh water and basic food products. :)
  • Options
    I have found cooking from scratch saves loads of money after the initial outlay of spices and cookware. I make big pans of curry and freeze it in portions, as well as pasties.

It also helps if you bulk up meals with veggies as meat is expensive.
  • Options
    I was in Tesco's today and glanced at the freezer cabinet, the scampi that is occassionally on offer was in there half price and I noticed the original price - £5... I couldn't believe it, I know scampi isn't the cheapest but that is definately a huge increase!
  • Options
    _guest wrote: »
    Yes i certainly am! And seeing as I won't eat meat that's not free range...I'm practically vegetarian as I can't afford to buy free range meat. In saying that, I can only afford fruit and veg when it's on offer so can't pick and choose.

But then I just remember how poor some countries are and it makes me feel lucky that I can afford fresh water and basic food products. :)

Agree with whoever this dude is.

My money doesn't go as far so I buy less expensive stuff. I'm far from starving. Being ill this week means I've spent a miserly #5 on food this week. Gotta look on the bright side! Maybe I'll have lost a pound or two as well :yippe: