Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feeling the pinch?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is anyone else noticing a massive difference in what they can afford to buy at the supermarket? I've noticed there's a lot of things have got too expensive for me to afford, and a big reduction in value products at tesco. I went yesterday to get some nice food because my mam is coming to stay but I found when I went that I really couldn't afford it! Me and my boyfriend have a food (and household stuff like toilet roll) budget of £120 a month including packed lunches for us both and last month we managed to stick to it but its getting harder and harder!

For me fresh fruit and veg seems to have gone up a lot, even in season fruit. Apples, oranges and bananas are the only things I buy at the moment

So what products have you noticed going through the roof and what's hit you the hardest? Have you changed how you shop and eat?

Also here's the place to share any food bargains that you've spotted :)

Comments

• Options
    i know some are snobby about it, but ive noticed i can save a lot by buying quite a bit from iceland. I can save at least £20 on my total bill from buying (roughly) the same stuff from there as i could from a different supermarket, although their fruit and veg and toiletries/household stuff isnt particularly cheap, so i get all that stuff from wilkos, savers and the local greengrocer.
  • Options
    I get all my frozen stuff from Farmfoods, its so cheaper than the supermarkets. I get all my toiletries (sp) from wilkos, home bargains. It saves me so much! I always shop abaout:thumb:
  • Options
    i know some are snobby about it, but ive noticed i can save a lot by buying quite a bit from iceland. I can save at least £20 on my total bill from buying (roughly) the same stuff from there as i could from a different supermarket, although their fruit and veg and toiletries/household stuff isnt particularly cheap, so i get all that stuff from wilkos, savers and the local greengrocer.

Man I can't afford to be snobby at the moment (not that I ever have been, I love a bargain haha)

I rarely buy frozen stuff, only quorn mince or sausages occasionally but I've had those on deals in Iceland before
  • Options
    Iceland isn't just frozen stuff, the have a fair amount of fresh things too, the standard fridge section you'd find in any supermarket for example.

It's worth having a rough idea of what stuff would cost elsewhere as the nice round prices occasionally mean stuff is more.
  • Options
    milk is lots cheaper in iceland, so is cheese, ham, mince, I even bought steaks from there a few times and they were really good. I was surprised.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, I never look at the prices (I am lucky enough not to have to worry about it), but the total at the end of the shopping never ceases to amaze me. £130 a couple of weeks ago. For a week's food. Hmmmm...
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I never look at the prices (I am lucky enough not to have to worry about it), but the total at the end of the shopping never ceases to amaze me. £130 a couple of weeks ago. For a week's food. Hmmmm...

Wow. Thats more than our month's budget for us both! How many people did you shop for, 1, 2 or more?

You are lucky not to have to worry :) I don't worry as such, but I do get a bit stressed when I'm halfway through my shopping and only the bare essentials have gone in the trolley and the price is mounting up! However, its not like we go hungry - far from it. And it must be worse for parents, especially with kids wanting all the fancy food (mickey mouse shaped cheese etc)

My boyfriend said a few weeks ago that I was spending a lot on shopping and he didn't see much coming home. I took him to tesco and set ourselves a budget and priced everything as it went in the trolley on his phone. He was so suprised how little our money went compared to a few months ago. I think if your budget is £30 a week rather than £130 then you do notice the difference a lot more
  • Options
    I have noticed that prices are going up, though it does seem to be quite varied - with certain items staying exactly the same or even going down.

Personally I've cut out using any pre-made sauces, I've just stocked up my spice rack and do my own.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Personally I've cut out using any pre-made sauces, I've just stocked up my spice rack and do my own.

:thumb:

That jar of Dolmio sauce at £2 or so is just a couple of tins of value tomatoes, onion and herbs.

As for the origina question, yes. We've cut back quite a bit. Nevr used to buy a great deal of premade food, occasional pizza or some chickeny thing to bung in the oven when i can't be arsed to cook. Eat a smaller variety of veg. Frozen veg is quite cheap but frankly it's shit except for peas, so usually buy fresh but the price of things like courgetts and marrow and cauliflower is just stupid so mainly stick to carrots, spuds and cabbage now.

Try and buy British food (carbon footprint and all that) but sometimes the cost is prohibitive. Was in Morrisons last week. 6 big juicy tomatoes from Poland 59p. 4 small crappy ones from Kent 79p ????
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Wow. Thats more than our month's budget for us both! How many people did you shop for, 1, 2 or more?

You are lucky not to have to worry :) I don't worry as such, but I do get a bit stressed when I'm halfway through my shopping and only the bare essentials have gone in the trolley and the price is mounting up! However, its not like we go hungry - far from it. And it must be worse for parents, especially with kids wanting all the fancy food (mickey mouse shaped cheese etc)

My boyfriend said a few weeks ago that I was spending a lot on shopping and he didn't see much coming home. I took him to tesco and set ourselves a budget and priced everything as it went in the trolley on his phone. He was so suprised how little our money went compared to a few months ago. I think if your budget is £30 a week rather than £130 then you do notice the difference a lot more

That was for two of us. We don't buy booze usually either. Maybe the odd bottle of Cava/Champagne, but definitely not that week. We tend to pop to the Sainsbury's local when we want a drink and I don't usually drink mid-week.

Yeah, I certainly raise an eyebrow when I notice the sub-total rocketing upwards as the items go through, and both are usually hovering near the top of my forehead when the final total comes :lol:

Oh yes, and I don't buy pre-made sauces for anything Italian. Sometimes some of the chinese stuff, but most things I prefer to make from scratch :)
  • Options
  • Options
    yesterday me and my boyfriend decided to make a vegetable lasagne for tea and it ended up costing loads! well, about £6.50. it would have been so much cheaper to just buy it ready made. we didn't buy expensive stuff either, well we tried not to, just things like lasagne sheets they were a pound and cheese sauce a pound...:s we dont cook very often so i suppose we could have found cheaper ways around it but its really put me off now.

cant believe its £1.30 for a loaf of warburtons bread too at asda.
  • Options
    yesterday me and my boyfriend decided to make a vegetable lasagne for tea and it ended up costing loads! well, about £6.50. it would have been so much cheaper to just buy it ready made. we didn't buy expensive stuff either, well we tried not to, just things like lasagne sheets they were a pound and cheese sauce a pound...:s we dont cook very often so i suppose we could have found cheaper ways around it but its really put me off now.

Did you use all of the lasagne sheets? Also, how many portions did that make? I find that when I make lasagne, sure it costs a few quid, but I get enough for 6 meals. Works out quite a bit cheaper that way, and I am also able to control the ingredients that go into it, hence it is a healthier option.
  • Options

Up to about £1.85 where I work... :eek2:
  • Options

Wow - lasagne is one of my pound stretching meals. And how are lasagne sheets a pound! They're less than 40p for the value ones (27p last time I bought them but they'll have gone up), and a pack lasts us for about 4 lasagnes so thats 10p per lasagne!. Can of chopped tomatoes is about 20p. Veg - say you use one onion, one pepper, one courgette and one carrot will probably be about £1.50 (cheaper if you've already bought in bulk). Then if you make your white sauce yourself if will probably cost about 50p, plus probably 50p's worth of cheese. You can make the white sauce even cheaper by using cornflour, have done this before when I've been out of butter.

That equals £3. With lasagne you can use up your leftover veggies too and I tend to get packs of value peppers, onions and carrots which will probably bring the cost down to about £2.50

You can tell I watch the pennies! Although I've never actually worked out the cost of a lasagne before :chin: Its definitely not £6.50 in my house though!
  • Options
    Being effectively still on a student budget, I'm really noticing the prices going up. I'm pretty sure I'm spending twice as much on my food as I was when I started uni - though I have started trying to eat better in recent times, which seems to cost more unfortunately.

I find I can save alot of money from my usual ASDA shop by going to Lidl instead. Only thing is, Lidl doesn't stock nearly enough of the things I usually get from ASDA. Saying that, it does have some nice things that you can't get in ASDA, but not enough to have me shopping there full-time.

So I tend to mix up my shopping depending on how wealthy I feel. If I feel I'm OK, I'll go to ASDA. If I'm counting the pennies, I'll go to Lidl. With my older sister, she goes to ASDA when she's counting the pennies, then M&S or Watirose when she's feeling wealthy, but then she's got a good job. Hopefully I'll be in a position to make that kind of choice sometime, though I'm quite happy with ASDA!
  • Options
    i thought it was cheap to make too! :(

i see what you mean, i just looked at my tesco receipt haha...the cheese sauce was £1 but that was the cheapest one and i dont cook much so i wouldnt know how to make it from scratch. i thought the lasagne sheets were really expensive too but thats literally all they had? just one pack of sheets for 99p! they're tesco own brand, not finest or anything like htat. i would have been happy with the value ones if i'd seen them. we bought passata which is obviously more expensive than chopped tomatoes, that was £1, that was us splashing out though because it looked really yummy haha. 1 pepper is 69p! then the courgette and onion another 50p...then the cheese was 1.69. so altogether that comes to 5.88. :/ then we bought smiley faces to go with it :D

what g_angel said is right though i suppose, we have left over sheets and left over cheese, and cheese sauce, i've just been thinking about it and we're going to make another one today otherwise its a bit of a waste of money isnt it otherwise. this is a long post haha.
  • Options
    i shop at asda and spend about £40-50/week and that has stayed fairly steady, i don't buy a lot of meat which helps or bread which i've noticed is obscene these days, i pretty much live off eggs, canned fish w/ pasta, fray bentos pies and loads of fruit and veg....eating out for lunch and evenings too much is what hurts, need to cut down on that bigtime.
  • Options
    Haven't really noticed too much of a difference, the only things we get at the supermarket are eggs, pitta bread and occassionally milk. I will probably start getting cheaper cuts of meat from the butcher as the winter is coming up and I want to bulk cook some curries and stews. Our budget is around £40 a week.
  • Options
    i thought it was cheap to make too! :(

i see what you mean, i just looked at my tesco receipt haha...the cheese sauce was £1 but that was the cheapest one and i dont cook much so i wouldnt know how to make it from scratch. i thought the lasagne sheets were really expensive too but thats literally all they had? just one pack of sheets for 99p! they're tesco own brand, not finest or anything like htat. i would have been happy with the value ones if i'd seen them. we bought passata which is obviously more expensive than chopped tomatoes, that was £1, that was us splashing out though because it looked really yummy haha. 1 pepper is 69p! then the courgette and onion another 50p...then the cheese was 1.69. so altogether that comes to 5.88. :/ then we bought smiley faces to go with it :D

what g_angel said is right though i suppose, we have left over sheets and left over cheese, and cheese sauce, i've just been thinking about it and we're going to make another one today otherwise its a bit of a waste of money isnt it otherwise. this is a long post haha.

Ah they've possibly stopped doing the value lasagne which brings the price up. In a lasagne there's not too much point using fancy tomato products, especially not paying loads for them cos they don't make it that much better.

I find if you go to the shop to buy things to make for a certain meal then it always ends up loads more than if you have a properly stocked kitchen and make things from what's in. For example, I wouldn't be caught dead paying 69p for a pepper, even the 3 packs are better value than that. I buy a big bag of value ones and you get at least 4 or 5 big ones (although I just had a pack with 7 baby ones!) and they're £1.40 or something? Then its about 28p per pepper and you eat them over the course of a week. But if there's no value peppers then I just won't bother and have something cheaper instead
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I find if you go to the shop to buy things to make for a certain meal then it always ends up loads more than if you have a properly stocked kitchen and make things from what's in. For example, I wouldn't be caught dead paying 69p for a pepper, even the 3 packs are better value than that. I buy a big bag of value ones and you get at least 4 or 5 big ones (although I just had a pack with 7 baby ones!) and they're £1.40 or something? Then its about 28p per pepper and you eat them over the course of a week. But if there's no value peppers then I just won't bother and have something cheaper instead

yeah definitely, makes a lot of sense. we both still live with our parents, and my mum and dad are away so the kitchen isnt very well stocked :D so we didnt have anything on hand to use, like cheese etc we had to buy everything there. i saw the value pack of peppers and it was £1.40 i think for 4 or 5 but considering we only needed one and probably wouldnt have used the others it wouldnt have worked out cost effective. if i had my own kitchen and cooked regularly though i would have used them throughout the week :)

also just saw an advert for aldi and a pack of 3 peppers are 69p! wish we'd gone there instead, hehe.
  • Options
    For those that can, hit your town centre, i'm not even on about walking around the market, but i went to my local butchers, got a couple of pepper steaks, a couple of chicken breasts, half a dozen sausages, half a dozen burgers and some eggs for just over £8!

Pop to the bakery for your bread and cobs etc...

Generally i dont fall for the supermarket ploys of banging bogofs on items that dont interest me and surrounding them around expensive standard items.

I just go in for what i want and get it, and if there is an offer on something i want albeit a different brand, then consider that.

Oh and those that say "Go to Aldis" give it a rest, the place is woeful! yet again i gave it a go, went in with the intention to get most of my shopping, i ended up getting a 37pence loaf (Agreed, bargain) and some giant tea cakes, the rest is just tat.

Fruit and Veg that looks like it has been sat there all weekend, cooked meats that everyone claims are fantastic because they are from the continent where the standards are much higher than here in blighty... erm... Yeah... i'm not eating the stuff! Once is more than enough, the bland plastic crap streaked with fat and grizle!

I find you initially end up saving 20pence on items there, but in the end wasting £2 by having to throw the bloody things away instead of just popping to Asda/Tesco etc...

And i'm far from a food snob, i'll buy Tesco Value, Asda Smart price etc... providing its edible
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm lucky because at the moment I'm working in a job where 3 meals a day are provided, so I'm not affected by the price of food.

But I have really noticed the rises. I noticed it even more as I was living in Poland for 4 months. When I came back, the food here seemed doubly expensive.
  • Options
    for bologneses/lasagne, i would suggest freeflow frozen mince rather than fresh because when you use fresh, you end up using the whole pack, whereas if youre using it frozen and can re-seal the bag, you can use a lot less and just bulk it out with the sauce.

Cheese sauce is super easy to make from scratch, just google it for a recipe. The jar ones are manky.

I buy Value bananas, carrots, onions, apples, tomatoes, potatoes, cheese. Theyre fine.

I probably spend about £70 a week more or less for the 5 of us (and dog) and we eat alright
  • Options
    I would have said go shop at your local market/shops but KHSS has banned me :(
    I haven't banned you from saying it, just Kermit ;)

Food is so much more expensive now. I think I notice it more because I work in a supermarket and there's not much else to think about than how shocking the price/salt content of a product is.
    Milk, eggs, bread, cheese and fresh produce have all increased in price loads. I find it really awkward to plan meals at the moment because I'm still working 3 lates a week and so I have to plan stuff that my OH can just stick in the oven and eat while I'm at work too, and then my lunches for work etc.

For my money saving meal:
    Veggie beany broth.
    Morrisons do a really really nice broth mix for 69p. It's 500g and you only need 1/3rd of a bag to make an enormous stock pot full of broth. I usually use an onion and some garlic, chopped carrot and whatever else veg I have available and then a bit of stock, tin of tomatoes and a squirt of tomato puree with 1/3rd bag broth mix and just let it cook. It's nice with a bit of cheese on top and some bread to go with it.
  • Options
    Veggie beany broth.
    Morrisons do a really really nice broth mix for 69p. It's 500g and you only need 1/3rd of a bag to make an enormous stock pot full of broth. I usually use an onion and some garlic, chopped carrot and whatever else veg I have available and then a bit of stock, tin of tomatoes and a squirt of tomato puree with 1/3rd bag broth mix and just let it cook. It's nice with a bit of cheese on top and some bread to go with it.

I'm going to try this! I looked at buying a broth mix once but it seemed to take years to cook!
  • Options
    There is a tesco one that you need to soak overnight or some such crap but the morrisons one you just bung in a cook for about 40 mins. You could do it in a slow cooker as well probably.
  • Options
    Some stuff I've noticed has started to go up. I dont do a lot of food shopping as I still live at home, but my parents have been commenting on how much the weekly food shop is costing them. £90 for three of us a few weeks ago.

I've really got into baking my own cakes again and it does work out a lot cheaper then buying readymade.
  • Options

I've really got into baking my own cakes again and it does work out a lot cheaper then buying readymade.

not to mention about a million times nicer