Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fathers at the Birth - Debate

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    *Ashley* wrote: »
    :lol:

so technically, anyone who works for the state can be in the delivery room?

I wonder if the father is included in that?

(sorry I\'m in a stupid mood tonight!)

There is, or should I say was, an old Common Law legal doctrine that the (natural / biological ) father owned the child. That centuries old rule was abolished in 1989 with one sentence in the Children Act.

Part 1 section 2 (4) :The rule of law that a father is the natural guardian of his legitimate child is abolished.

Effectually it makes the State the father of the child.
  • Options
    funny how legally the child never actually has belonged to the woman who gave birth to it. So it used to be the father and now its the state. I guess in practice at least the birth mother tends to be the default guardian and have rights that way but plenty of people think thats somehow outrageous.
  • Options
    funny how legally the child never actually has belonged to the woman who gave birth to it. So it used to be the father and now its the state. I guess in practice at least the birth mother tends to be the default guardian and have rights that way but plenty of people think thats somehow outrageous.

Yes,afraid so. Legally, a mother could never own the child. That is legal theory behind the father maintaining the child because, in the eyes of the law, he owns the child.
  • Options

so you saying that you think you have the right to Own a person? like owning a car?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    so you saying that you think you have the right to Own a person? like owning a car?

She did not say it. The law says that.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

i think it would be fairer for a mother to have "ownership" than the state, although not the same sort of ownership as a car obviously
  • Options
    i think it would be fairer for a mother to have "ownership" than the state, although not the same sort of ownership as a car obviously

So you would also think its fairer for the mother to have "ownership" then the father?
  • Options
    *yawns* I think that its very telling that the "ownership" of a baby used to be the father, but when that came to an end it was passed to the state rather than to the mother.
    Ownership of a child has never actually been the person who gave birth to it - its everyone BUT.

Yes, fairer for it to be the mother if its got to be anyone since shes just grown it from scratch, but babies arent actually owned.
  • Options
    *yawns* I think that its very telling that the "ownership" of a baby used to be the father, but when that came to an end it was passed to the state rather than to the mother.
    Ownership of a child has never actually been the person who gave birth to it - its everyone BUT.

Yes, fairer for it to be the mother if its got to be anyone since shes just grown it from scratch, but babies arent actually owned.

No it's not.

The reason it was the father was a relic of old sexist attitudes. It passed to the state because both mothers and fathers are incapable of being fit parents and someone's sex shouldn't be taken into account when making that judgement.
  • Options
    no whats not?
  • Options
    no whats not?

Fairer for the mother to have 'ownership'.
  • Options
    ownership seems like the wrong word really when youre talking about a person in their own right, but if we're talking about ownership as in guardianship and decisionmaking responsibilities for a baby then i do think the mother should be the natural choice unless there is a specific good reason for it to be otherwise, especially in cases like the OP.
  • Options
    I agree that the mother should be allowed to decide who's present at the birth, but denying a child contact with it's father based on the mother's whim isn't really fair.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    ownership seems like the wrong word really when youre talking about a person in their own right, but if we're talking about ownership as in guardianship and decisionmaking responsibilities for a baby then i do think the mother should be the natural choice unless there is a specific good reason for it to be otherwise, especially in cases like the OP.

The natural choice should be the best parent.

Automatically assuming either mother or father is going to be the best parent is not in the best intrests of the child.

We've did this the other week. Both parents should have to proove suitibility, it should not be left up the father to somehow come up with some dirt on the mother before having a fair shot at custody.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    whos to choose suitability when its a subjective thing, and why should anyone have the right to remove a baby from its mother if she hasnt actually done anything wrong?
  • Options
    Because it's not always a subjective judgement.
  • Options
    well of course it is, unless youre talking about abuse or neglect
  • Options
    If it's such a subjective judgement, then why do you think it should default to the mother?
  • Options
    because of her being the one whos just gone through hell and back to grow the baby and bring it into the world.
    A good childhood IS subjective. Some may prioritise having lots of money, others may prioritise affection, others may prioritise academic stuff. There is no such thing as a perfect parent. A very loving mother might lose her child because the ex partner had lots more money to afford a good school for instance and that may be one judges bias. Another judge may have a bias against a certain parenting technique, whereas another may be in favour of it.
    I think the fact that someone has just physically birthed a baby out of her own body, shes got milk to feed it and shes got hormones coming out of her ears to care for it, kind of means that 99 times out of 100 shes going to be the most suitable carer.
    If she really ISNT a decent carer, then the father should be the next option, then the grandparents
  • Options
    Again your argument is a selfish one rather than on that adresses the best intrest of the child. Automatically assuming the mother is the best parent is in the intrest of the mother only.

Both parents should have to proove suitibility. That is in the best intrests of the child. I don't know how you can disagree with that
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    All those things (money, affection, academics) etc. are all factors in good parenting though, they can be judged objectively. Judges who prioritise one over the others aren't doing their jobs properly, all factors should be taken into account. A very loving father could also lose his child to a mother for the very same reasons.

Physically birthing a baby, having breasts or a surge of hormones has no bearing on someone's suitability to be a mother. You're saying it's subjective then ignoring that to favour the mother. It's just as likely the child will have a bad mother as much as a bad father so automatically favouring one doesn't help.
  • Options
    it has a lot of bearing on who is the most suitable and please tell me how those things can be judged objectively. You cant easily take two different mums and accurately say which is the best one. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Staying with the parent that birthed you is a better start than most other factors i can think of. Im not saying fathers should have no input or shouldnt play a large part in their childs life if possible, but for a young baby especially, its mother will be and should be in most cases, the natural choice. Otherwise youre just demeaning pregnancy, birth and women in general to be just surrogate birthing machines to whoever the state decides is best in line with current parenting trends.
  • Options
    I can see why people would say the mother is more likely to be a good parent than the father, because the mother has to deal with the pregnancy and birth, so becoming a mother involves more effort than becoming a father. It doesn't always mean the mother will be a better parent though.
    The perfect childhood doesn't exist, and it's likely that anybody deciding what will happen to a child will want them to have whatever was missing from their own childhood. I think the main thing is how many times the parent will get "one more chance" before people start putting the child first. If one parent abuses or neglects a child once they shouldn't have the right to do it again, but a lot of the time they do. The child should be with the parent who will put them first.
  • Options
    it has a lot of bearing on who is the most suitable and please tell me how those things can be judged objectively. You cant easily take two different mums and accurately say which is the best one. Different people have different strengths and weaknesses. Staying with the parent that birthed you is a better start than most other factors i can think of. Im not saying fathers should have no input or shouldnt play a large part in their childs life if possible, but for a young baby especially, its mother will be and should be in most cases, the natural choice. Otherwise youre just demeaning pregnancy, birth and women in general to be just surrogate birthing machines to whoever the state decides is best in line with current parenting trends.

You're right, but the current legislation does cater for the mother rather than the child (or else, is lazy) when there is an issue over custody etc. Even if a father has been given legal access the mother can still withhold it and the courts will not do a lot. I know personally of several families where the mum has played silly buggers with the dad, not turning up, being late etc. so it's a two way thing a lot of the time.

But that's beside the point. In a standard civil legal battle, you would expect both sides to be able to give an argument as to why they are right, and there would be no default. In the case of parental custody etc. the default is the mother - fair enough, since in most cases this probably will be the best parent based on the average - but not in all. However, the father must prove beyond doubt practically he is the better parent. The mother just needs to turn up to court and not be visibly abusing her children.

The system should be fair, and take into account - yes the mother birthed, in many cases nursed, the natural bond is there evidently - but considering this and other factors, which parent is most suitable? In most cases, it would still be the mother. In that 1% where it is the father though the father should be able to win custody rather than the magistrate saying 'sorry, but even though you would be a better parent and better able to provide, shes the mum and hasnt done anything wrong, its not fair on her' . The onus should be on the child. (again, this wouldn't be 'stealing' children either, there could be well arranged visitation etc it might just be a shift from the father having the kids on the weekend to the father having the kids in the week and the mother having them at the weekend, maybe because he has a more stable home, or whatever) It is shifting slowly though...
  • Options
    CheesySuze wrote:

Again you say it's subjective then make what appears to be the objective judgement that the mother is always the best choice. A richer parent is objectively more able to provide a good environment for a child than a poorer one but I am by no means suggesting that it should be the deciding factor on its own nor that it overrides the other factors mentioned. Could you please give some tangible reasons why the mother is the best choice? You imply a baby staying with it's birth mother overrides all other factors, what if the mother is poor, alone and has to work all day to support her baby and hence wouldn't be able to care for it correctly? I really don't think it's as simple as saying "It came out of her vagina, hence she is automatically the best choice".
  • Options
    omg i just typed out a huge reply and its lost.

Yes a mother by nature of the hell that is pregnancy and childbirth, and the fact that mother and baby is THE definitive natural bond and that its most certainly a two way thing and NOT a needy mother clinging desperatly to an infant that cares not who it goes to (which is the picture that seems to be being painted here)
    I agree with the law that says that unless the mother is actually doing something tangibly wrong that cant be simply fixed, then she is the natural, most likely best choice. It is not in a babys interests to be removed from its mother - hardly ever. She is all it has known since a seed, her heartbeat, her smell, just her presence, when i say its natural, i dont mean its some romantic story thats laughable and sexist. Its fucking science. Basic maternal care should be a right, to be breastfed should be a right. To not be removed after birth from the very woman that brought it into the world and loves it more than life, becasue some judge decides well the man has a bit more money and a better job or some such shit. Its a hideous proposal.
    By all means, the father should be the next choice if the mother cant or doesnt want to or is unable to do it, after that, the grandparents.
    Its so hard to explain to someone who hasnt been there. Its a natural thing. its just something that "IS"
  • Options
    I don't think you quite understand what our argument is.

We're not arguing that more men should be given custody only that they have a right to fair shot at prooving they're the best parent.

Most of your arguemnt is a selfish one which is understable, but it's not an argument on behalf of the child.

We're not saying ignore the natural aspect. Certainly that's one of if not the most most important aspect, but it's not the be all and end all of good parenting. It's important but not important enough in my mind to automatically assume that the mother is the best parent in all cases.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The mother should be the best person to take care of the newborn child, definitely, unless of course there is an actual reason why she shouldn't, ie if she was a danger to the child. When the child is older it becomes more even, but for the newborn and for a while after that I would suggest, the mother is THE best person to care for that child.
  • Options
    Again, I agree with you, and in 99 cases out of a hundred if it came to a court battle (as most parents decide the child remaining with the mother is the best solution anyway) it would be fine. In that 1 out of a 100 cases where despite the natural bond, the father would clearly be the better main carer - not exclusive carer - for whatever reasons that come up in court (if a man wants residency as it is, he has to prove he has somewhere stable to live and a job doesn't he anyway, even if the social welfare system is providing for the mother as parenting is a full time job anyway... :confused: ).

In this 1 out of a 100 cases, it would be clear that despite the natural bonds of mother and child, residency with the father is better for the child. And it doesn't have to be proved by the mother being abusive or something, what about if shes not abusive but just not in the best circumstances to look after the kids - normally you would hope if she is really really struggling she might arrange residency with the father outside of the courts for the welfare of the child but again I think it would come down to the mother considering her wants to be a mother (which again, are natural) which shouldn't really be a consideration in the childs welfare. Same with the father, he shouldn't have the child even if its better to go with the mother just because he really wants it.

You're right that I haven't been a mother, but isn't that besides the point? We should look at the welfare of the child, not the mother... I wonder what the perspective from a child would be. I'm not sure its automatically biased to the mother, as I was always marginally closer to my dad from as early as I can remember. But I think thats because mum was stricter :p
  • Options
    From the start though, you haven't just been talking about this 1% case. sorry if I've misinterpreted, but it came across like you thought that immediately the child was born then it should be taken away by a 3rd party who would then get to decide who got to "keep" the child.
    In this one percent case that you're talking about in your post above though, if the mother wasn't suitable then yeah, the father would get custody. Surely that already happens though? I would imagine as well that if a father applied for benefits and suchlike in order to be a full time single father then he wouldn't be refused, would he?

Also (and you'll probably shout me down for this) but I know you think you're not being sexist, you still are because why should the father have more right to be a parent than the mother? Surely it's selfish on behalf of the father to want the baby to be taken away from the mother (a mother who hasn't done anything to warrant the child being removed)? You're coming across as quite anti woman.