Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

people with disobedient dogs

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What happens once its had a stroke and a fuss and won't give up, and shoves its nose up your mates' arse when they stand up or turn around? Are you going to do anything about it then?
    I will tell her to get off them, or tell them to push her away. My dog is not disobedient.

From what you said in your first post though, you don't sound like you did give it the attention it was asking for to begin with, so it kept looking for it. As long as you're not downright cruel to the dog, I'm sure your friends wouldn't have minded you pushing it down from you. If it really is that terrible then I would suggest talking to your friends about it or just not going round if you hate it that much.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    From what you said in your first post though, you don't sound like you did give it the attention it was asking for to begin with, so it kept looking for it.

Not my problem. It's not up to me to keep my friends' dog amused.
    As long as you're not downright cruel to the dog, I'm sure your friends wouldn't have minded you pushing it down from you. If it really is that terrible then I would suggest talking to your friends about it or just not going round if you hate it that much.

Post 27.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Completely disagree. Utter bollocks, and quite lacking respect for any guests you might have.

It's quite easy to tell when somebody is uncomfortable with a dog jumping up on them etc, and even easier to tell the dog to behave. If the guests are on for a play with the dog, then it's up to them to tell the dog to chill when they're done.

well I personally tell my dog to go and lie down when people come round, but tbh if they dont like the dog coming up to them, then they shouldnt really come round because this is the dogs home too.

I actually dont like visitors very much though. I certainly wouldnt go round someone elses house if they had a dog and i didnt like dogs. I think it would be rude to impose myself like that
  • Options
    if they were bringing the dog to your house on the other hand and the dog kept being annoying, then i would totally agree with you
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    How long did it take you to train your parents to do this ?

:lol:

My grandparents & aunt's dogs always jump up and bark. They do nothing to stop them either. (apart from shouting at them:rolleyes: )

Apart from when it's family, ours are always put in th dinning room or back garden.
  • Options
    if they dont like the dog coming up to them, then they shouldnt really come round because this is the dogs home too.

Exactly. Unless you are severely allergic or have a terrible fear of dogs then why should I have to shut my dog up in its own home just because you don't like its personality?
    Not my problem. It's not up to me to keep my friends' dog amused.

Well clearly it is your problem, because you're getting so very pissed off because it wants to play with you and all you would need to do to stop it is just give it what it wants. Don't get pissed off with it just because you can't be bothered to give it 2 minutes of your time to keep it happy.
    Post 27.
    And? I did say "if you hate it that much". Respect goes two ways, you know, I will show respect for my guests if they show respect for my house and to my dog instead of treating it like shit on their shoe.
  • Options
    I will show respect for my guests if they show respect for my house and to my dog instead of treating it like shit on their shoe.

He's not saying that, he's saying he'd prefer it if the dog's owner actually exercised a bit of control over the dog, which isn't really too much to ask.

It's stupid to say that a visitor should have to give in to the demands of a friend's pet. Just because you are friends with someone doesn't mean you want to have their dog climb all over you like you're its latest play toy.

Most pet owners that I know of are pretty considerate with how they control their pets, especially around people who are bothered by them, or whatever.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    It's up to the owner to read the situation.

For starngers, I always make sure she's controlled until I know how the stranger feels.

For mates and people who are familiar that I know don't have a fear of dogs, the responsibilty is theres.

If you don't like the attention from a dog there are two very simple answers. Either ask for owner to control it, or make it clear to the dog you arn't intrested. It's not rocket science.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    He's not saying that, he's saying he'd prefer it if the dog's owner actually exercised a bit of control over the dog, which isn't really too much to ask.

Well why doens't he ask then?

It's not rocket science.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

It's not rocket science.

I don't know. That's what I'd do. But I'd also expect a dog owner to display a bit of sense, too.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

It's not rocket science.
    If you read his first post you'll see all his friend does is say ''he's just being friendly''. Fat load of good that is.
  • Options
    If you read his first post you'll see all his friend does is say ''he's just being friendly''. Fat load of good that is.
    Then you have to either be persistant or do something about it yourself.
  • Options
    I don't mind other people's dogs. The more disobedient the better. I'm not responsible enough to keep my own though. And I also reckon that if failing to control a dog results it attacking and injuring another person, it should be treated exactly the same as someone who fails to control their car with the same consequences.
  • Options
    Well he is just being friendly. Be assertive with the dog and it'll do what it is told. All dogs do that.

I think you're being very unfair. Dogs are naturally exuberant sometimes, get over it.
  • Options

Well if the owner still doesn't do anything about it after you explicitly said your not happy about it then do something yourself.
    Assert yourself, push the dog away and shout no.

It's that simple.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    I think you're being very unfair. Dogs are naturally exuberant sometimes, get over it.
    You've got a point. Wanting a dog not to act like this is very much like wanting people not to tell you their names or shake your hand.
  • Options
    You've got a point. Wanting a dog not to act like this is very much like wanting people not to tell you their names or shake your hand.

If I wanted an exuberant dog jumping all over me I'll go and buy one.
  • Options
    If I wanted an exuberant dog jumping all over me I'll go and buy one.

OMG its not even your house that you want to dictate about the residents. Its like saying you hate kids therefore parents should send their kids to their room when you deicde you want to visit them.
    If you dont like someones household, see them on neutral territory and if they ask why you dont want to go to their house, say its because you hate their jumpy dog. THAT is reasonable.
  • Options
    OMG its not even your house that you want to dictate about the residents. Its like saying you hate kids therefore parents should send their kids to their room when you deicde you want to visit them.
    If you dont like someones household, see them on neutral territory and if they ask why you dont want to go to their house, say its because you hate their jumpy dog. THAT is reasonable.

Now you're just being stupid.

If someone's dog (or child) greeted me as I walked in, I'd have no problem with that at all. But if either was still hassling me after I'd sat down and already expressed my feeling on the matter then THAT would not be unreasonable.
  • Options
    Exactly. Fucking hell. I would understand if it was your house they brought the dog to, but going into someone else's house and bitching about their dog's personality is just rude and disrespectful. It's the dog's house too and it has more right to be there than you do. All you have to do is push it off you and tell it "no" firmly and it will get the hint.
  • Options
    Exactly. Fucking hell. I would understand if it was your house they brought the dog to, but going into someone else's house and bitching about their dog's personality is just rude and disrespectful. It's the dog's house too and it has more right to be there than you do. All you have to do is push it off you and tell it "no" firmly and it will get the hint.

Are you not following the thread? I've already said the dog will not fucking leave me alone! So no, it does not 'get the hint'!
  • Options
    Are you not following the thread? I've already said the dog will not fucking leave me alone! So no, it does not 'get the hint'!
    Ignoring it isn't going to do anything though is it? My dog doesn't stop jumping on me when I ignore her, but when I push her down and tell her no, she goes away or lies down at my feet feeling sorry for herself.
  • Options
    Ignoring it isn't going to do anything though is it? My dog doesn't stop jumping on me when I ignore her, but when I push her down and tell her no, she goes away or lies down at my feet feeling sorry for herself.

This is why I named the thread 'disobedient dogs'. This fucking mutt does what it wants. I'm telling it to get down and short of punching it in the face (only joking, I'd never do that to a dog) nothing I do makes it listen to me. All I get told is "he's just being friendly and he's young and very excitable".
  • Options
    How young is it?
  • Options
    I don't know but she's had it less than a year so I'm guessing about 8 months old. It's not a nasty dog, it is very friendly - but that's just it - TOO friendly.
  • Options
    While I don't own a dog I own a horse and often people want to come see it or pet it and even then, I personally see it as my responsiblity to keep the horse under control. Like dogs, horses are curious animals and like go get up close and personal. I'm the boss and I decide how far the horse can go.

Most of the reasonable dog owners I know keep their dogs under control when visitors enter. Just because a dog wants to do something doesn't mean it should get to do it.

I find it really strange to see dog owners expect people not used to dogs to know how to behave around their animals or do something like set boundaries! A bunch of owners don't even know how to do that with their own dogs.

ETA: It's probably a good idea to let the owner know if you're uncomfortable with their dogs behaviour though. If they response with the 'it's just being friendly' just press harder for them to put an end to it.
  • Options
    I think it is just one of those things where if you love dogs, you don't really see the problem, and if you hate them, you just don't understand the owner. To me, it seems totally bizarre to suggest that a dog has more right to be in a room behaving how it wants than a person has to request that the dog be put in another room away from them. To someone who loves dogs, I guess the dog has a higher priority and they don't understand what the issue is or why their dog should be shut up somewhere else.

Again, it just seems odd to me to let your guest feel really uncomfortable (as in the case with disobedient dogs that won't leave you alone) or to even not have people come to your house because of a pet. If I had a guest scared of spiders, I wouldn't get out my pet tarantula and let it run all over them saying "don't worry it won't hurt you". But I suppose people who have dogs do often see their pet as a member of the family.
  • Options
    My dog sniffs around you and jumps you but if you ignore him he'll get bored.

At the end of the day it's only an animal and don't think there's any harm in it, just tell the dog to away and most do.
  • Options
    I don't know but she's had it less than a year so I'm guessing about 8 months old. It's not a nasty dog, it is very friendly - but that's just it - TOO friendly.
    8 months is still a puppy! You can't expect it to be perfectly behaved when it's that age.
  • Options
    If he's telling the dog to stop and the dog isn't stopping then the owner should be doing something about it. The owner is the dog's master after all. People should look after their dogs, and looking after a dog includes telling it when to stop fussing about.

Mind you a well trained dog wouldn't need to take a load of shit to get it to stop doing something.