Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How would you ChangeTheSite.org?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Btw - if anyone knows of a vbulletin hack that does this let me know - I only seem to be able to find one that locks individual threads after so many days (you have to put in individual thread IDs one by one). To be honest if anyone has any experience of building hacks maybe you'd like to try and put one together - I'm sure I'd be able to find some pennies from the budget to say cheers. There would probably be plenty of other admins who'd be thankful as well.

As I see it we'd require -

Ability to enter forum ID numbers (more than one) to apply the closure to, or an option to add forum by forum different rules for closure.
    Close after a certain number of days from last post date.
    Ability to exclude all stickys
    Ability to enter individual thread ids to exclude them from the rule.

Let me know if you think I'm missing anything from there.

Oh and you should build something that would be working for 3.7 - not the current 3.6 build here.
  • Options
    I suggest the admins make a couple of private forums: "invisible" from public viewing, and only password-accessible for those who are established members / frequent posters.

These forums are for sensitive subjects. I can't obviously specify because I am a newbie. But there must be a need where certain members would like to offload really sensitive stuff only being able to feel comfortable knowing their messages are not being read by non-members.

And what I don't care to see members going at off at each other, attacking one another on forums. It's all very well but behind the screen is someone who the other person can not see, or know how they are being made to feel. There should be tighter moderation. On the internet highway there are too many boards where flaming and attacking is being tolerated. Don't let this otherwise great board go the same way as the rest.

Thanking you,

Poppi
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And what I don't care to see members going at off at each other, attacking one another on forums. It's all very well but behind the screen is someone who the other person can not see, or know how they are being made to feel. There should be tighter moderation. On the internet highway there are too many boards where flaming and attacking is being tolerated. Don't let this otherwise great board go the same way as the rest.

After being here for as long as I have to say the moderation here is excellent.
  • Options
    Just to point out - if there were an auto-locking for old threads that means even the creator of the thread wouldn't be able to edit their posts if they wish to.

Say, you remember there is an exceptionnaly embarassing post you made somewhere and you want to edit it, but if the thread is locked you can't. It would stay there visible forever. :nervous:
  • Options
    Although a user would still be able to ask for a specific thread to be deleted. However you are right - a locked thread would stop deletion or editing, even if we were able to turn on the user deletion again.
  • Options
    Which is why I prefer the current way tbh - I like to have the option of editing my posts, even if they are old.
  • Options
    I hadn't thought of that! back to bad idea! :D
  • Options
    I disagree with the private forum thing, this is a open forum room to anyone, there should be no 'oh this person has been here longer so they get to use the private section!'

Singles out people, and creates a divde like in the big brother house :)