Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How would you ChangeTheSite.org?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    DG wrote: »
    Ask The Site is a bit too the other side - it's almost like calling a support line - very full on stuff - plus it's one on one I assume.

Where as I know some times you want many people's opinions on a single matter

Yeah personally I would prefer posting here. It feels more informal really.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Haha I have my stars back :p
  • Options
    Lol you goon
  • Options
    Threads to be deactivated after so long to stop dead threads coming back. And an anonymous option.
  • Options
    Lol you goon
    :( Well I think they are cool!
  • Options
    Just to clarify something - DG if you want to ask for advice naming specific companies in a specific town then I think you really need to use another service. This is a public service and is bound by libel laws and is available to any member of the public. I can't really imagine any justification for needing to be as specific as you imply, but this really isn't the right place if you need to be.

No amount of self pruning threads is going to make any difference to what you describe - if you want to post something so specific you think it'll identify you from a single post from a single anonymous account then it doesn't matter if it's going to be up for 2 hours or 2 years - it really probably shouldn't be public.

I can't help but recall your wish to organise a meet with people from TheSite but for no one to be allowed to mention they were from TheSite. It imples a perspective that wishes to hide your presence here, which is fine, but is always going to be incompatible with the principals behind why a public forum exists.

The idea of public peer led advice service is to make problems public whilst keeping identities private, if people so wish. By allowing threads to stay visable it means that many hundreds or even thousands of people are able to benefit from that advice without asking the question themselves. By removing threads you aren't increasing anonmity you are actually forcing people to sign up to get advice who would have already recieved it.

There is also a risk that users who have to deal with sensitive issues may end up always using self-pruning threads, which will eventual build to a point where it looks like almost nothing is being discussed - creating a negative incentive to post problems.

I'd suggest what would be a much better idea would be to look for the return of the ability to self-delete threads and for threads older than say, six months, to automatically lock themselves.

But fundamentally we offer to routes to direct advice, completely anonymous one-to-one expert advice and a public peer to peer community. Access a wide group of peer support will mean it being public, that's central to how a trusted community can flourish.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

So thats a no to the stars coming back then :p

PS: Say thanks to Helen for my present for me :thumb:
  • Options
    Well when I say companies - examples I'm thinking of are - I'm going for an interview with company xxxxxx can anyone give me some advice on where to get information on them for the interview, has anyone had an interview with them before, do you know what kind of questions they ask, etc.

If you can name the company then others can help you search for information - nothing libelous there, but should you get the job then you don't exactly want someone to track down the thread a year later and link it to yourself.

Other examples I am thinking of is naming places more specifically - e.g. you might want to say I do volunteer work for xxxxx based in a little town named xxxxxx can you recommend how to get from A to B.

I might want to ask how to get from London to Newcastle - but Newcastle is tiny compared to London. If I wanted more specific information I might want to say which part of London I live near seeing as it can easily take 2 hours+ to get from one end of London to another.
  • Options
    Yeah but none of that would be a problem with simply a new thread from a new account to keep it seperate from your normal account - and plenty of people do ask about interviews.

Using a public forum is a personal choice - this isn't a private forum and you have to decide yourself how you are comfortable using it. We always maintain that people need to bear their anonimity in mind and it's clear it's simply something your not going to be comfortable with - which is why it's good you have alternative ways to look for advice.
  • Options
    There is also the option of an added thread which is available for all to see but only once people take the time and trouble to

a) Register
    b) log in

... I still think there's people out there who want help but get turned off seeking it because of the high profile of this site with search engines.

I am also guessing there might be some reluctance in self pruning threads as most organisations that rely on external funding need to have statistics, proof of how they help people, etc and self deleting threads would take away from that?

Most of my suggestions would be forum related as I've booked marked the forums main page and hardly every look at the rest of the site.
  • Options
    Other examples I am thinking of is naming places more specifically - e.g. you might want to say I do volunteer work for xxxxx based in a little town named xxxxxx can you recommend how to get from A to B.

I might want to ask how to get from London to Newcastle - but Newcastle is tiny compared to London. If I wanted more specific information I might want to say which part of London I live near seeing as it can easily take 2 hours+ to get from one end of London to another.
    Few people use this place for travel advice though. If anyone is worried about being tracked down why mention its to do with voluntary work, when helping people users aren't asking for a full life story of the poster so why not just leave it out. If you were asking about your London to Newcastle question then you can easily narrow it down without giving any your identity away, for example 'My nearest tube station is Hammersmith'. I would very much doubt anyone is going to track to you down.
  • Options
    ... I still think there's people out there who want help but get turned off seeking it because of the high profile of this site with search engines.
    How are these people going to find TheSite in the first place? You don't spend thousands of charity donations on creating and running a website to sit on page 94 of Google and help no one. The vast majority of people will find this place via the search engines and of those the majority will again pick one of the top three links.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    How are these people going to find TheSite in the first place? You don't spend thousands of charity donations on creating and running a website to sit on page 94 of Google and help no one. The vast majority of people will find this place via the search engines and of those the majority will again pick one of the top three links.

Again I am talking about a single thread NOT the entire forum and search engines CAN index threads behind password protected Threads - these are called Bots and most modern forum software has this ability built in.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108070
  • Options
    On Moneysavingexpert, they have a thanks button, (which is used instead of loads of people replying with 'thanks) could we have something like this please? I've found it to be better than saying thanks to someone when they've responsed to a topic of mine and given me a good answer.

I think a thanks button would be a really bad idea. A good idea in theory, but it's an excellent means for passive aggressive people to be a bit mean. Say there's a thread where someone who isn't that popular or well liked says something, and someone replies:

"You're a twat"

And underneath...

25 siters thanked xxx for their post
  • Options
    This might sound stupid but would an option exist for you to switch to being an anonymous user when creating a certain post that you would prefer not to be traced back to you?

I quite like this idea, but wouldn't that mean mods having to check it all first? I mean, just in case people were doing it to attack other people.
    I'd suggest what would be a much better idea would be to look for the return of the ability to self-delete threads and for threads older than say, six months, to automatically lock themselves.

I'd prefer this than having to ask a mod to do close/delete a thread.
  • Options
    I wouldn't really mind a mod seeing who I was, I know that other users have created a new username in the past just to post a more private problem and I'm guessing that mods/admin can see the IP address anyway. Sometimes I get worried that my friends/boyfriend/family could go on here and find out what I've been posting about. I know my username isn't my actual name but it's pretty easy to guess for people who know me.
  • Options
    I would like the option to mass edit my old posts to "." or something. There is a lot of stuff I've posted and I'd like some of my older posts especially to be wiped but there's 10 thousand odd of them and it's a right pain to edit them manually. I can see why it would be detrimental to wipe helpful posts but when I first joined I had nooooo idea how big this site would get and how high it would be in goodle searches and I may have been more careful with what I posted.

I was joking about the stars, I couldn't really care less about them.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Ah right. I think maybe in that case it could be useful (if not slightly open to abuse), could possibly work though.

mwah ha ha. are you thinking what I'm thinking?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

"You're a twat"

And underneath...

25 siters thanked xxx for their post

THAT IS SO FUNNY! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Regards all this - It's a private matter showing up on google thing.

How about having a system where over a period of time the thread locks itself and the people who posted turn into 'User1, User2, User3' That solves the privacy issue?

I would like like a wider range of emotions, and when i type : P it actauly comes up as the emotion!
  • Options
    On the emoticon thing: to have :D recognised as a smiley when it's the only thing in the post. I know there is a capital letter block thing but is there anyway around that? Also crazyeyes only needs the first colon.
    I know these are really trivial bits and don't matter but I thought I would say anyway!
  • Options
    I think a chat box on the top of the first page would be good, they have introduced it on another forum I chat on and it cuts down the spam threads of I am bored that we have all posted at times!
  • Options
    Having a singles section. Might meet some fellow single people although I realise you're not a dating site!:hyper:
  • Options
    Ban :naughty: It's the forum equivalent of something humping your leg.

And :p God I hate that thing.
  • Options
    Someones looking to pull ;)
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Someones looking to pull ;)

Haha too right!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There should be a 'at work' version with all smilies, colours and other obvious bits taken out and just the text left for those of us who probably shouldnt be posting during the day.

I just use the black and white version, and you can always set your browser up to not show images.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    mwah ha ha. are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Sex?
  • Options
    Ban :naughty: It's the forum equivalent of something humping your leg.
    Genius.

Auto-locking of threads after say, six months after the last post, so the threads and the information is still there but cant be dragged up from the dead again.

And no stars, regonitions etc as it takes away from the meaning of this place.
  • Options
    I think thread locking after six months is a good idea.