Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anal issues

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for your replies again guys.

I'm still not feeling better physically and now I'm not too sure what to do. I know that the next steps are all more invasive than I could accept so there isn't much point me seeing the doctor again.

I hope things get better in time.
  • Options
    Keep up your water and fruit intake :)
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.
    :confused:
  • Options
    I do eat so much fruit already. I've increased it recently due to this problem but I already had a lot of fruit and veg.

Today I've had (fruit wise):
    1 banana
    2 plums
    1 persimmon
    half a pack of raspberries
    a pack of blackberries (125g)
    1 red grapefruit
    2 clemantines
    1 apple
    Small handful of blueberries

And I had some lettuce and tomatoes.

And lots of water.

(As well as other foods and drinks- porridge, oat bran, wheat bran, ryvita, wholemeal toast, puffed brown rice, honey, dash of milk, herbal teas, I can't remember if I've had anything else... I'll eat some dinner later on)
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    :confused:

It's my sig, a girl I know who also has a lot of mental health problems had a badge on her locker with it on and I thought it kind of funny. It's like from the sermon on the mount (in Matthew 5 I think) except this isn't actually one of the beatitudes from Jesus, it's just a joke.
  • Options
    I do eat so much fruit already. I've increased it recently due to this problem but I already had a lot of fruit and veg.

Today I've had (fruit wise):
    1 banana
    2 plums
    1 persimmon
    half a pack of raspberries
    a pack of blackberries (125g)
    1 red grapefruit
    2 clemantines
    1 apple
    Small handful of blueberries

And I had some lettuce and tomatoes.

And lots of water.

(As well as other foods and drinks- porridge, oat bran, wheat bran, ryvita, wholemeal toast, puffed brown rice, honey, dash of milk, herbal teas, I can't remember if I've had anything else... I'll eat some dinner later on)

WOW! I'm seriously impressed - I don't think I eat that in a month! (sorry, that isn't meant to be patronising; I'm just jealous of how healthy that all sounds!)

Hmm.. doesn't explain why you still have the probs then :confused:

ETA: Btw, what's a persimmon?
  • Options
    Persimmon is a fruit that looks like a funny orange tomato but inside they are fleshy and very sweet. If you know what a Sharon fruit is then this is one example of a variety of persimmon... but if you don't then that doesn't help, lol! I've only had a few in my whole life, I first tried it in Brazil in 2005, they are called 'Caqui' in Portuguese, pronounced like 'Kaki' in fact I think I've seen them called Kaki here too but I wasn't sure if that is one specific variety or an alternative name for them.
  • Options
    omega 3s are good for keeping you regular and dried fruit tends to have more fibre than fresh.

I have suffered with constipation before and i know how awful it can be. At the moment I find if i have a bowl of muesli and sprinkle on a tablespoon or two of linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds plus a few extra raisins. I also have a couple of slices of Burgens soya and linseed bread/toast and i eat 5 dried apricots a day.
    This really works for me.
  • Options
    Rg how long has it been since you've been?
  • Options
    It's worth going back to the doctor, especially if you've got a good one, you never know what inventive solutions she might come up with and she already knows your limitations.
  • Options
    I have been but ur... not very well. I ate a 250g pack of dried apricots today as I wanted to give myself diarherra to get rid of things (dried apricots always do this to me, a bag that big is well, ur.... lots) but I can do this to myself but there is no middle ground, I did this one day a couple of weeks ago too, I cleared myself out and then got constipated again within a few hours. I'm sure the amount of sugar will be quite bad for my mood swings and depression anyway, I should probably just buy some real laxatives for it. The piles are getting bigger not smaller. The ointment makes them hurt less but it can only be used for 5-7 days at a time so I've only got another couple of days left that I can use it for and it doesn't really deal with the problem, it just treats the symptoms (reduces pain and it's meant to reduce the swelling but mine are now bigger not smaller). I'm fed up of all this now.
  • Options
    the constipation is something you need to keep on top of though. Its more of an issue than the piles I think. You need to find something that keeps you regular - not 250g of arpricots in one go that will send your guts into spasm, but a few every day and maybe the suggestions i said earlier?
    Im glad you managed to go a little bit. Better than nothing
  • Options
    you need to go back to the doctor honey x
  • Options
    A few every day doesn't help me, when I do eat dried fruits they either have absolutely no effect on me or if I eat enough they give me diarrherra. I do take a flaxseed oil suppliment and also eat seeds and stuff. I think I might go back to the doctor soon. I'm still doing the bran thing too. I've got an appointment with her in a few weeks ayhow so I might just ask her then if I can wait that long. I wouldn't mind her poking my stomach actually just not my arse.... sorry I keep posting in here, I know this sort of thing can be very frustrating to read when someone brings up the same thing over and over again.
  • Options
    i don't think anyone is frustrated with you, just frustrated for you that it's not getting better. try to make another appointment when you can hon.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    i don't think anyone is frustrated with you, just frustrated for you that it's not getting better. try to make another appointment when you can hon.

Aw thanks... I do worry about these things.

I can just turn up at the GP, I don't need an appointment as the have a walk-in system too which is great as they always see you there and then.... I just have to get myself there! I'll find out what days my own GP is on this week...
  • Options
    sometimes bran can actually make constipation worse. A lot of people are sensitive to it.
  • Options
    sometimes bran can actually make constipation worse. A lot of people are sensitive to it.

Yeah that's what I read online actually... but it is what the GP suggested? Now I feel more confused than ever. Probably not having erratic eating would help me a lot too but that is more something to be 'worked on' than something I can just do overnight.

Thanks for all your support Suzy :)
  • Options
    As a general rule it helps as is high in fibre, but some peoples digestion doesn't like it so doesn't help them.

If it doesn't seem to be helping maybe stick with the fruit.

***Big higs****
  • Options
    I know you won't but a massive cup of coffee, a cig and a bit of a jog or fast walk in the morning helps me to go. There are alsoa few yoga style exercises that are supposed to help you go, like one where you massage your stomach in the right direction and another where you bring your knees up to your chest one at a time and then push out with your stomach muscles, would have to look them up for more details.

Maybe there just isn't enough food in your gut to produce a nice big soft stool though, not enough bulk to get the intestines working hard enough...

Too much bran bungs me up a bit too. Maybe write another note and see the doc again? Mine doesn't tell mental health team anything I tell her unless we specifically agree that she will send a letter over that way and what he content of the letter will be- you could check with your doc if it's the same.

Mwah

x
  • Options
    Our Occ Health Nurse at work once told me a story about one of the doctors she used to work with suggesting to a constipated person that they tip a box of 100 matches on the floor and keep bending down to pick them up one by one - and that should get things inside moving!

That's maybe a bit extreme, but maybe you could do some bending and stretching.. :confused:
  • Options
    I do find that exercise makes me go in general, although (and I know this sounds like an excuse) I have just felt too physically unwell to go to the gym although maybe I can try some more gentle exercises at home. I do walk quite a lot on days when I leave the house, I much prefer walking to my appointments than using public transport for example.

Kat, I think you are right about it being really related to the lack of food inside me. I did some more reserach online today and it seems to be a major issue for people with eating disorders especially anorexia nervosa. Which is good to know why it is but well it's hard to resolve that one, I mean it's not as if I can just do it over night. I need to sort my life out :)
  • Options
    RG-how long has it been since you last had a poo?!

you really shouldnt leave it a couple of weeks until your next appointment.
  • Options
    Please don't leave it much longer. Constipation can cause some quite seriouse problems, I've nursed a few patients who have suffered seriously bad constipation and it's not nice. They can become impacted and cause bowel damage :no:
  • Options
    Oh I have been having poos. It's just they are hard and not normal. And the piles are really bad now. I had type 2 ones, I think they may be developing into type 3 ones :sour:
  • Options
    What about medication?

Randomgirl, this is my first post. But I've been listening in on this conversation and I had similar constipation problems when I was on antidepressive medication. Once I finished with the pills I was as-good-as-gold - that might be half your trouble.

Just might be something to consider, something to explain the extent of the problem that is.
  • Options
    This is disgusting / embarrassing but anyway.. recently quite often after I take a poo, it really hurts / stings / itches there for a while. Even if its completely cleaned ie I take a shower after if it comes out rough it can really leave things sore / itching / hurting. Is that normal?
  • Options
    Randomgirl, this is my first post. But I've been listening in on this conversation and I had similar constipation problems when I was on antidepressive medication. Once I finished with the pills I was as-good-as-gold - that might be half your trouble.

Just might be something to consider, something to explain the extent of the problem that is.

Thanks :) I am honoured that your first post on here was in my thread about poo!! I had constipation problems when I was taking Venlafaxine but now I am taking different ADs which don't have that effect on me :)

The more I research it the more I realise it's my eating (or rather lack of) that is causing the constipation. Actually the last few days my bowel movemens have been returning to normal although the piles are getting worse.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    This is disgusting / embarrassing but anyway.. recently quite often after I take a poo, it really hurts / stings / itches there for a while. Even if its completely cleaned ie I take a shower after if it comes out rough it can really leave things sore / itching / hurting. Is that normal?

It could be piles, have you looked online at what piles are, what they feel like etc? Especially the type 1 piles that you can't notice outside the body and they are often very small. If it's that then it's not to do with if you are clean or anything. Although it could be something else. If it bleeds at all you are meant to get it checked by a doctor. Or if you are concerned or uncomfortable. Or if you think it is piles then you can get a number of treatments from the pharmacy (although the ones that are prescription-only-medicines are stronger) or apparently it sometimes goes away without treatment eventually.

Hope you are okay :)
  • Options
    It could be piles, have you looked online at what piles are, what they feel like etc? Especially the type 1 piles that you can't notice outside the body and they are often very small. If it's that then it's not to do with if you are clean or anything. Although it could be something else. If it bleeds at all you are meant to get it checked by a doctor. Or if you are concerned or uncomfortable. Or if you think it is piles then you can get a number of treatments from the pharmacy (although the ones that are prescription-only-medicines are stronger) or apparently it sometimes goes away without treatment eventually.

Hope you are okay :)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/haemorrhoids1.shtml

"Piles are incredibly common - at least 50 per cent of people suffer with them at some time."
    Symptoms: "Itching. Piles can cause intense itching of the skin around the back passage."

:crazyeyes :nervous: Fuck. Never bleeds but does itch. Not all the time, just sometimes after going to the loo. Fuck. Worried now. Thanks for recognising the symptoms x