Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Did the father do the right thing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7462914.stm

BTW The son ended up being sentenced to 3 years in Prison

Personally I think most fathers would have at least waited to talk to their child before ringing the police.

Comments

• Options
    True ... but perhaps his son was always in enough trouble not to be believed. We don't know any more about the background behind this. The fact that he was in a gang MAY indicate that he wasn't a model child in the first place.
  • Options
    Quite torn on this one. ETA - yeah, I think he did.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think he should have talked to him first, yes. But he definitely did the right thing by telling the police. A crime (or one going to be commited) isn't any less bad if it's done by someone in your family is it? It's your obligation to turn family members in to the police as much as it is to turn anyone else, perhaps even more.

I don't understand this "betraying the family" business. If he's got a gun he's as dangerous as any other gang member who has a gun. If he shot someone, would it be any less awful because he was somebody's son?
  • Options
    I'd have said your obligation to your family comes over all other obligations. But if he was doing it for the long time good of his son (because he feared he'd either do something stupid and find himself in jail for 25 years or because he feared his son would end up leaking his brains onto the floor), he did the right thing.
  • Options
    I'd have said your obligation to your family comes over all other obligations.
    So you really think that if you can prevent a stranger dying by putting your son in prison, you should just let the stranger die because the would-be killer is your son?
    Think of the greater good. In the end who you are doesn't matter, because you could just as easily be the father of a victim rather than a killer. The father of the victim is as much of a person as you are.
  • Options
    I doubt the father knew the penalty for possession of a firearm at the time he called the police - and I wonder if he knew his son would go to jail for 3 years would he have had 2nd thoughts.

I think most fathers would have at least talked to their son first - cos all he found were bullets and not the gun (the police found the gun) and then I think most fathers would have said let just throw it away in the river or something

The fact is after 3 years in jail the son is probably going to be more of a danger coming out then going in. He's certainly going to find getting a job a lot harder when he comes out with a criminal record.

But as mentioned by other we don't know what the son was like before this..
  • Options
    Yes, he did the right thing. Just as 'my country right or wong' is a deeply wrong school of thought, so is covering up for family members when they have commited a crime.

If more parents did this there would be a lot less crime on the street.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If more parents did this there would be a lot less crime on the street.

If more parents raised their kids right in the first place they'd be less need to shop them to the police ....
  • Options
    So you really think that if you can prevent a stranger dying by putting your son in prison, you should just let the stranger die because the would-be killer is your son?
    Think of the greater good. In the end who you are doesn't matter, because you could just as easily be the father of a victim rather than a killer. The father of the victim is as much of a person as you are.

Of course I'm not going to be jumping with joy about - but my family would come first. It may not be moral or ethical, but my ties to people I don't know are much less than my ties and obligations to my daughters, wife, parents and siblings
  • Options
    Of course I'm not going to be jumping with joy about - but my family would come first. It may not be moral or ethical, but my ties to people I don't know are much less than my ties and obligations to my daughters, wife, parents and siblings
    Mmm... one could argue that by grassing him to the police his farther was fulfilling his obligations as a parent and doing what is best for his son.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Mmm... one could argue that by grassing him to the police his farther was fulfilling his obligations as a parent and doing what is best for his son.

See the second part of my original post...
  • Options
    That's understandable. But a stranger's life is still more important than anything less than the life of a family member.
    I'd consider letting someone in my family go for stealing something once, but if they kept doing it or it was something more serious I'd be a terrible bastard if I didn't do something to stop them.
  • Options
    Impossible to say really, we dont know how the son was beforehand, and whether the Dad would have acted differently if he'd found the gun.

I do think family does normally come before other considerations, and that is largely natural. Lets face it someone dying on the other side of the world is worth less than someone dying in your town, who is worth less than a family member dying.

If he thought it would have worked, perhaps a stern talking to and throwing the bullets and gun in the nearest cannal or lake. But if he didnt think the kid would listen I do think he did the right thing, even though he will struggle both in prison and out of it.
  • Options
    That's understandable. But a stranger's life is still more important than anything less than the life of a family member.
    I'd consider letting someone in my family go for stealing something once, but if they kept doing it or it was something more serious I'd be a terrible bastard if I didn't do something to stop them.

I assume we're talking about what we'd do in reality, rather than theory. because in theory the lives of my family are no more important than anyone else - in reality, at least to me, they are much, much more important. I can live with that (better than I can live with the idea they are no more important than strangers)
  • Options
    For some reason I am looking forward to StarGalaxy's ranting on this one...
  • Options
    I would argue yes... just because I think it's the 'right' thing to do.
  • Options
    Of course the father did the right thing. I doubt that the son was a model citizen beforehand and the father will probably have known he was up to no good.

Blood is thicker than water but if I found one of my family members with a handgun under the bed I'd be tipping off the police as well. I wouldn't want the gun in the house and I wouldn't want the people who gave him the gun anywhere near me.

The obligation is to tell the police if a serious crime has been committed. It doesn't make you a grass. Anyone who thinks that family comes first is a complete tool.
  • Options
    Video of the father afterwards on here - he clearly has some 2nd thoughts about going about things in a different way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7465414.stm
  • Options
    I would do this without hesistation. There is a very true saying:

Better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.
  • Options
    interesting what the father said about the reason the son didn't give up the names of the people who's gun it was - and I suppose correct that if he went into jail having given up their names he could well be killed on the inside.

Interesting case - I don't actually anyone really benefits from the outcome in this case except the people who owned the gun - I wonder if he was offered a deal to give up their names and what it was.
  • Options
    He did the right thing. The kid even admitted if he still had hold of it, he would have gone out and shot someone.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Of course the father did the right thing. I doubt that the son was a model citizen beforehand and the father will probably have known he was up to no good.

Blood is thicker than water but if I found one of my family members with a handgun under the bed I'd be tipping off the police as well. I wouldn't want the gun in the house and I wouldn't want the people who gave him the gun anywhere near me.

The obligation is to tell the police if a serious crime has been committed. It doesn't make you a grass. Anyone who thinks that family comes first is a complete tool.
    One of those times we totally agree :)
  • Options
    Daddy now says he's surpirised at the length ofd the sentence!
  • Options
    For once a parent has acted responsibly when dealing with a child, and the son has accepted that his dad did what he had to do, has accepted he did wrong and has accepted his fate.

good on them both.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    ....the son has accepted that his dad did what he had to do, ...

I think that was before he got sent down for 3 years - I wanna see him being interviewed now from prison and see if he still feels the same way ..
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Video of the father afterwards on here - he clearly has some 2nd thoughts about going about things in a different way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/7465414.stm

To be honest I don't see why there isn't an amnesty on handing in guns really. But I agree with the no tolerance policy if you're caught in possession in some ways as it sends out a clear message. Guns are so dangerous you can't really mess about with the law like maybe with cannabis possession which isn't so damaging. Still, who will ever turn themselves in (and the gun) if it means a minimum 5 year sentence? :no:
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    To be honest I don't see why there isn't an amnesty on handing in guns really.

Because the majority of people who hand in guns are generally law abiding. When they have amnesties, the only people who don't hand things in are generally the criminals.
    Last time we had a gun one, we had an elderly woman hand in her late husband's WW2 collection which consisted of a webley revolver, bren gun, heavy machine gun and a bazooka......
    But we didn't get a single BB gun from a hooded gangster.
  • Options
    I don't really understand the whole family comes first argument. If the son didn't have enough loyalty to his family enough to not want them to deal with the fact that they're related to someone who's killed or ruined someone's life why should the family have any loyalty to him?
    I would do the same thing, because I want most of my family to be able to go out feeling safe more than I want one relative to feel that they have a right to have and use a gun.
  • Options
    I don't really understand the whole family comes first argument. If the son didn't have enough loyalty to his family enough to not want them to deal with the fact that they're related to someone who's killed or ruined someone's life why should the family have any loyalty to him?
    I would do the same thing, because I want most of my family to be able to go out feeling safe more than I want one relative to feel that they have a right to have and use a gun.

I'm not sure I'd want my daughter's to be keeping ammo, or stab to death a cheating boyfriend or anything else. But if they did my loyalty is to them. I don't think this is a particually moral response on my part - but it is a response by a parent.
  • Options

If he was holding it for someone else he may well not have had a great deal of choice in the matter. There are people in certain areas you dont say no to.