Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

unreasonable ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080618/video/vuk-misadventure-verdict-over-canoe-deat-49bfa63.html

Do I understand correctly that this guy is upset because he was not advised that it should be 1 adult per child ? I mean don't people have common sense ? why do people have to blame others for their own shortsightedness (if i understood rightly what he was saying)

Comments

• Options
    The man has lost one of his children in this dreadful accident, please bear that in mind.
  • Options
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080618/video/vuk-misadventure-verdict-over-canoe-deat-49bfa63.html

Do I understand correctly that this guy is upset because he was not advised that it should be 1 adult per child ? I mean don't people have common sense ? why do people have to blame others for their own shortsightedness (if i understood rightly what he was saying)

Harsh.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    The man has lost one of his children in this dreadful accident, please bear that in mind.

I do but to say that the canoe company are responsable for not saying "actually you should have only one child per adult" I mean it would be my first though if I were going on such a venture I would think first: "what if ? and what can I do now to try and safeguard against it ?" what has happened these days to looking after oneself why do we have to blame others when we don't look after our own safety. We have got to the point where one can say "I'm incompetent but its someone elses fault !"
  • Options
    Although some would deem your assessment as very harsh, you do raise a valid point. Here's one example for you, although I'll admit it's nowhere near as extreme. At the arcade, we've got an outside section. It has a bouncy castle, eight trampolines and a quad-bike track. Before letting people go onto their ride of choice, we have to go through such a list of rules, it's unbelievable. Infact, there seem to be more things on the list every single week. In case people still don't get the message, there are written signs absolutely everywhere telling you what you can and can't do. But no matter how many you put up, it never seems to be enough.

I've lost count of the number of instances where we've sent someone off the trampolines for repeated rule-breaking. Apparently, I hadn't told the child in question that he wasn't allowed to do somersaults on them. The parent in question demanded to see my manager to "report you" or some other shit. In public, the manager stood up for me. In private, I was given a good talking to about this. We have to go through all the rules for two reasons. One, it prevents people from whinging endlessly about it. Two, if they have an accident because they broke the rules, it means that they've theoretically got no one but themselves to blame. And guess what? If someone has an accident on the trampolines whilst I'm watching over them, I could be held personally responsible and taken to court! This is why I flatly refuse to do it nowadays.

Yes, you're right - personal responsibility is something that we need to bring back into society, and lots of it. But none of this changes the fact that this was a terrible accident, and that this man is now grieving for his lost child.
  • Options

They were given no form of training (basic) or anything like that.

What you've said is really harsh.
    I do but to say that the canoe company are responsable for not saying "actually you should have only one child per adult" I mean it would be my first though if I were going on such a venture I would think first: "what if ? and what can I do now to try and safeguard against it ?"

Not everyone thinks that far ahead.
  • Options
    I'd be interested to hear if KHSS has anything to say because IIRC she was pretty into canoeing and teaching kids or something. Can't remember now!

But I've been before with the army and it definately wasn't one adult per child, more like two adults per 10 kids. We were a bit older, around 12/13 though.

From what I've read on other coverage though even the guy who loaned them the canoes said he wasn't aware of the risks and had enjoyed canoeing so much on holiday he wanted to share it with other people so set up canoe hire. He offered safety gear etc but no advice as he was perfectly amatuer. Not really his fault, he even said he thinks there should be compulsory licencing.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    They were given no form of training (basic) or anything like that.

What you've said is really harsh.

Not everyone thinks that far ahead.

once upon a time someone that didn't think that far ahead in fact further was a dead man, "that far ahead" ? sorry how far was that your planning on taking your kids on a canoe trip and you don't think first of what it may entale in case people that lead sheltered lives from the reality of the world out there don't know you have to know how to look after yourself, yes its a very sad accident but to say its the fault of the renters and that they get through a "loop hole in the law" is going a bit far, its as good as saying that if I jump straigh in front of a car and he is unable to stop its his fault.

I dable in electronics occasionally I have exsposed live terminal or wires sometimes inevitable sometimes I don't want to take the time to seal them up but I don't take the risks lightly I make sure i know exactly where danger is and where i must not touch (my house has no RCD) if there were to be children around i would not do it if there was anyone else i would make sure that they are well aware of wehat I'm doing and to stand clear. Ahem I'm still alive
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    The ultimate responsibility should really come down to the company, but you are right to some degree, maybe it should be common sense.

why the company ? its not like he was given a faulty canoe or equipment
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I've lost count of the number of instances where we've sent someone off the trampolines for repeated rule-breaking. Apparently, I hadn't told the child in question that he wasn't allowed to do somersaults on them. The parent in question demanded to see my manager to "report you" or some other shit. In public, the manager stood up for me. In private, I was given a good talking to about this. We have to go through all the rules for two reasons. One, it prevents people from whinging endlessly about it. Two, if they have an accident because they broke the rules, it means that they've theoretically got no one but themselves to blame. And guess what? If someone has an accident on the trampolines whilst I'm watching over them, I could be held personally responsible and taken to court! This is why I flatly refuse to do it nowadays..

there you go some twit wants to have fun do things that he probably knows are against comon sense but if he gets injured because of his own stupidity some one else has to take the can
  • Options
    I've not read much coverage of this so sorry if I mention things that did/didn't happen in this case etc.

The company that hired out the boats should definitely have made sure that the adult at least was a competent kayaker, and that all three of them could swim well. He should have provided buoyancy aids and at least one throwline, and given them basic safety training.

He should definitely have been aware of the river conditions. The river Wye can be a lovely calm river but it can also flood really quickly and become dangerous just as quickly.

He should have ensured that they were wearing appropriate clothing.

I do not think that he should have been able, as the BBC article here says, just buy two canoes and rent them out. In that respect, the "industry" (it's hardly an industry btw) is unregulated.

SO MANY accidents happen in canoeing because people think "ooh I know, I'll buy a canoe or kayak on ebay for the summer, that'll be fun" but they have NO idea about safety or ability, or the river they're paddling or anything like that. Paddling with a canoe club is safe, and I can't think of any accidents at all that have happened and personally me and my family are very in the loop with canoeing and I think they'd hear about it if there had been.

I'm getting off track here.

When they were on the water, the adult was responsible for those two children. The canoe hire man should not have hired those canoes out, he didn't do all the things you must do and ultimately I think he is responsible for this happening. People go paddling on the river Wye all the time, my club goes on a camping trip there every year, taking their own boats and of course instructors. The adults are responsible for judging the state of the river, setting the course and making sure everyone has the correct safety equipment and is competent to paddle. These adults are all coaches and are qualified up to at least Level 3 and have done canoe safety courses. The hire company and the father are BOTH responsible in this case but I can see why the father would want to shift as much blame as possible onto the company.

I think that there should be some kind of licence to be able to hire out canoes but at the same time the media seems to be seizing on this as if EVERYWHERE is like this, when it actually isn't. The people who hired out these canoes seem to be two inexperienced guys, who shouldn't have been allowed to do this. Canoe clubs are totally different and are very responsible and affilliated with the British Canoe Union. I think there is going to be some kind of knee jerk reaction to this though and it will probably make things difficult for clubs unnecessarily as a result.
  • Options
    According to the BBC article, the Clayton family were the "first and last" customers of the company. They were hardly a company, it was a grandfather and his son with two boats and about as much safety equipment. They shouldn't have been renting boats out with no experience themselves.
  • Options
    1. Simon, you are a thick cunt. A nasty spiteful thick cunt. How the fuck dare you start mouthing off about this man, who lost his fucking daughter because of the accident, saying that he's trying to blame everyone else. He's not. He has to live with the fact that he had to choose which of his kids should drown. He has to live with the fact that he took them there. I can't believe you have said what you have said. It's no wonder you can't find a job with your complete lack of any fucking empathy or sympathy.

2. The canoe hire company staff were inexperienced, did not provide proper training and did not provide proper safety equipment. They are culpable for the child's death. He hired the boat in good faith and the hire company should have made sure that he was safe to use the kayak and was skilled in using the safety equipment. They are culpable for what happened because of their negligence. And it is negligence, I presume you know what that word means, Simon?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    1. Simon, you are a thick cunt. A nasty spiteful thick cunt. How the fuck dare you start mouthing off about this man, who lost his fucking daughter because of the accident, saying that he's trying to blame everyone else. He's not. He has to live with the fact that he had to choose which of his kids should drown. He has to live with the fact that he took them there. I can't believe you have said what you have said. It's no wonder you can't find a job with your complete lack of any fucking empathy or sympathy.

2. The canoe hire company staff were inexperienced, did not provide proper training and did not provide proper safety equipment. They are culpable for the child's death. He hired the boat in good faith and the hire company should have made sure that he was safe to use the kayak and was skilled in using the safety equipment. They are culpable for what happened because of their negligence. And it is negligence, I presume you know what that word means, Simon?
    All of this :yes:.
  • Options

I agree.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    J wrote: »
    Because they are in the business and should have previous experience and knowledge. Anybody can rent a canoe with no experience, the canoe company getting their daily bread from it should have a responsibility to ensure their customers are safe, but of course they should in turn be regulated by tighter regulations.

It's like a go-karting company. They wont let you drive one of their go-karts without a crash helmet and seat belt on...

Quite so.

Canoeing IS dangerous. Fact. But people don't think this, and the companies, let us be honest, don't care that much. So long as they don't expressly do anything wrong, they won't get prosecuted. They just assume people know what they are doing and will be safe.

This man went through a horrible ordeal. He lost a child. And there is nothing that could have prevented it, apart from not doing the canoe trip in the first place.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Quite so.

And there is nothing that could have prevented it, apart from not doing the canoe trip in the first place.

you hit the nail on the head, its at the point of saying: "shall I go canoeing ?" that I'd say: "is it a good idea can I handle any problems that may arise ?"

I'd like to see what the guy would be saying if he went and bought his own canoe to have an accident in who would he blame then ?
  • Options
    Can you use a bit more grammar and punctuation in your posts? I don't mean to be rude but I'm struggling to find your meaning in that post.
  • Options
    Can you use a bit more grammar and punctuation in your posts? I don't mean to be rude but I'm struggling to find your meaning in that post.

sorry
  • Options

1. Kermit if I were in this mans boat I'd be blaming myself ! yes its sad that he will have to live with this but its part of life.

by the way I have a job and they are damn pleased with me and even find me funny at times and we have a good laugh ! but apart from that I'm known at work for being hard working and thorough

2. I'm sorry if i take responsability for my actions and try to plan for obvious accidents without blaming others perhaps its too much to exspect similar of others. I can go buy a canoe if i like and go canoeing without training or anything thats my problem what this guy did amounts to about that he could have chosen an all the bells and wistles company if he had wanted.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'd like to see what the guy would be saying if he went and bought his own canoe to have an accident in who would he blame then ?
    This is a very good point actually. Are there any laws against buying a canoe if you don't have experience in using it?
  • Options
    As I've just said to you on MSN. Most people can go into any shop in most seaside resorts and buy a rubber dingy and on a gadget/toy website there's 2 boats for sale.
  • Options

That's different. The company he was with has a duty of care.
  • Options
    The thing is though, he probably didn't buy his own canoe because he thought that in hiring one, the company would ensure that it would be safe for him to take his children out, even if only because of the legal implications if they didn't. The company didn't do that and tbh I think he has every right to be upset with them for not ensuring that him and his children would be as safe as possible.

I've gotta say, if I was doing something for the first time, I would do the same.
  • Options
    He probably didn't buy one because they're expensive and he probably didn't want to do it more than this one time, and if he did there isn't any point in buying boats for growing children as they won't fit them by the next summer.

There are no laws about buying a boat with no experience, if he had bought a boat and this had happened then he would have been responsible and it would have been put down to inexperience and foolishness. The company were negligent in this case but that doesn't mean that all hire companies are. I'm a bit concerned about any knee jerk laws or rules about this really.
  • Options
    I didn't actually catch weather his children could swim

I had a rubber dingy in Italy and went to the beach with it and friends, my friend could not swim nor could his children. When they were on board I would not go further out than chest deep and my friend also asked me not to (he was thinking responsably of his children) the only times i went farther out I took only one child at a time I kew that in the hugely unlikely even of trouble I could depend on both children cooperating with me and been physically able myself to get them back to shore. they are aged 10 and 12
  • Options
    I think that's not very responsible actually, taking out children in a boat when they can't swim. You can drown in very little water, chest height is actually quite a lot. Oh, and how would you have rescued two children and an adult all oh whom could not swim?

It's very easy to get into difficulties when canoeing, especially if you don't know the river and you don't know how to paddle. It's not necesarily the dad's fault for them getting into difficulties. The Wye is difficult to paddle on against the flow as well, but how would he have known this until he was on it? The company didn't tell him. I need another word for that actually cos it was hardly a company, two guys hiring out two canoes.
  • Options

I had a rubber dingy in Italy and went to the beach with it and friends, my friend could not swim nor could his children. When they were on board I would not go further out than chest deep and my friend also asked me not to (he was thinking responsably of his children) the only times i went farther out I took only one child at a time I kew that in the hugely unlikely even of trouble I could depend on both children cooperating with me and been physically able myself to get them back to shore. they are aged 10 and 12

You can't possibly have known any such thing!
    You were irresponsible.
  • Options

Are you psychic?
  • Options
    I think that's not very responsible actually, taking out children in a boat when they can't swim. You can drown in very little water, chest height is actually quite a lot. Oh, and how would you have rescued two children and an adult all oh whom could not swim?

erm like I said if i went further it was one person at a time rarely did it though. the idea being if the boat went flat they could touch bottom, yes you can drown in 1 inch of water if unconcious and face down
  • Options
    1. Kermit if I were in this mans boat I'd be blaming myself ! yes its sad that he will have to live with this but its part of life.

I'm sure he is blaming himself. But he is also asking why a hire company (who are in a position of responsibility here) allowed him on to a dangerous river without any training or safety equipment. And without any warning about the dangers of the stretch of river and the high water.

Given that there had been warnings given to locals about the river, the father should not have been allowed out onto the river without a warning. The Wye is a dangerous river, as many experienced canoeists have shown. The hire company have a responsibility to ensure that people using their canoes are capable and that they are warned about dangers in the river.

As for your last comment, much as you are an odious little fuck without two brain cells to rub together, I hope it never happens to you. It might give you a bit of empathy if it did though, something you clearly need.

The fact that you took an inflatable onto the sea with a child who could not swim goes to show what a stupid fuck you really are. Not only can you drown in chest height water (which is a good four foot deep), how on earth would you have been able to fight against the tide if things went wrong?