Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

unreasonable ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He probably didn't buy one because they're expensive and he probably didn't want to do it more than this one time, and if he did there isn't any point in buying boats for growing children as they won't fit them by the next summer.

There are no laws about buying a boat with no experience, if he had bought a boat and this had happened then he would have been responsible and it would have been put down to inexperience and foolishness. The company were negligent in this case but that doesn't mean that all hire companies are. I'm a bit concerned about any knee jerk laws or rules about this really.

I think it's important to point out though that the guys really regret what happened and they were just trying to share something they enjoyed. If the legislation isn't there... another example would be when I was in Thailand and Eygpt actually you can just buy quadbikes for offroad use and plenty of people do it for the tourists. But if you hurt yourself... would the company be liable? In the UK of course they would but over there there is no limitations and so 'how were you to know' applies I guess.
  • Options
    I'm sure they do regret what happened, they're humans and I'd expect most humans to feel awful in the same situation. But the question is if they knew that they were inexperienced amateurs, and did not have the processes in place to make sure that the rentals were handled safely, why the hell were they doing it in the first place? I'm sure they had good intentions but one of them should have stopped and asked himself if he wasn't being a bit daft doing this.

A car hire company wouldn't hire a car to someone who couldn't drive, and they wouldn't hire a car without safety apparatus, so I don't see why this should be different. Even the operators of go-karts at the theme park spend 10 minutes going through all the safety features of the kart before letting people loose with them. I'd hate to see this put rental companies out of business but "they were trying to be good" isn't a good enough defence to incompetence that has cost a child their life.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it's important to point out though that the guys really regret what happened and they were just trying to share something they enjoyed. If the legislation isn't there... another example would be when I was in Thailand and Eygpt actually you can just buy quadbikes for offroad use and plenty of people do it for the tourists. But if you hurt yourself... would the company be liable? In the UK of course they would but over there there is no limitations and so 'how were you to know' applies I guess.

you can buy a quad bike here in the UK and use it with no license kids as young as 4 are reported to use them (without injury !)
  • Options
    I've yet to come across a company who will sell a quad bike to a four-year-old. Rental companies won't hire to children. Hell, you even have to be 12 to use those pathetic go-karts at Blackpool that do about 4mph.

Not for the first time, you're talking out of your arse. Please stop it.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

As for your last comment, much as you are an odious little fuck without two brain cells to rub together, I hope it never happens to you. It might give you a bit of empathy if it did though, something you clearly need.

The fact that you took an inflatable onto the sea with a child who could not swim goes to show what a stupid fuck you really are. Not only can you drown in chest height water (which is a good four foot deep), how on earth would you have been able to fight against the tide if things went wrong?

well I'll shurely make sure it dosen't happen to me thats the difference I would never hop into a canoe and go downstream without knowing what to expect.

its strange you seem to think that this guy that hardly put much thought into what he did is a poor victim yet i who took a child onto a section of water I know very well am a sensless nut hm thats a nice set of two standards and to answer you "querry" the tide accounts for a diplacement of about 6 inchs of water there and was not due to occur at that time it was a bay with a boat jetty almost closing it off so you see you (nasty name of your choice) I'm not entirely stupid I spent my summer holidays on that section of beach since i was 2 years old
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I've yet to come across a company who will sell a quad bike to a four-year-old. Rental companies won't hire to children. Hell, you even have to be 12 to use those pathetic go-karts at Blackpool that do about 4mph.

Not for the first time, you're talking out of your arse. Please stop it.

erm actually not long ago there was a program on BBC2 (radio) jeremy vine discussed the use of quad bikes listeners phoned in and one man reported he had quad bikes and his children used them (perhaps i got the age wrong but it was certainly no older than 8). I'm not saying i agree with children using them I'm just saying it occurs there have not been widespread incidents my point really was there is not much goverment control over them no need for a license or anything
  • Options
    well I'll shurely make sure it dosen't happen to me thats the difference I would never hop into a canoe and go downstream without knowing what to expect.
    But you went into the sea without knowing what to expect.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    But you went into the sea without knowing what to expect.

oh you silly dope didn't you read my post I'm talking about the same 100 metre stretch of beach I have spent summer holidays on for 20 odd years it was not a river i knew nothing about and there are no currents to speak of !
  • Options
    oh you silly dope didn't you read my post I'm talking about the same 100 metre stretch of beach I have spent summer holidays on for 20 odd years it was not a river i knew nothing about and there are no currents to speak of !
    But how do you know there wouldn't be? Just because it hasn't happened to you before doesn't mean it won't happen.
  • Options
    I've never been called a silly dope before :lol:
    You could've been at the same part of the beach everyday for 100 years but you can't possibly know exactly what the tide is like.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    But how do you know there wouldn't be? Just because it hasn't happened to you before doesn't mean it won't happen.

erm do you know at least what "the tide" is ? and that its not all so dagerous except in certain areas (of which there are not any known ones in Italy) I get the feeling there are a lot of ignorant people here that don't even know what they are talking about ! oh the tide the tide..... it gobbles you up ! yea in that case no man can put to sea the tide cccurs twice every day most of you would hardly notice it but then you probably think that "the tide" means that the sea goes out 5 miles just because it does in some locations. do ya selves a favour and get some comon knowledge of the planet, "the tide" the magical word that puts fear into you and makes you sound like you know what you are talking about when you mention it as though you know of something special.

the effects of the tide are quite predictable its not a random occurance and I've spent many days on that beach at different times of year
  • Options
    Can I ask you if you've done any studying on tides or you just think you know what you're talking about?
  • Options
    I was talking about the current, not the tide. And yes, I know what the tide is thank you. Fair enough, I don't know much about it, but I do know that water that looks calm can be too strong to swim against and that there are such things as freak currents. Just because the water goes in and out twice a day doesn't mean the water is predictable.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Can I ask you if you've done any studying on tides or you just think you know what you're talking about?

He's taken pictures of it ...
  • Options
    He's taken pictures of it ...

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

what a sad bunch I've never known such a bunch of hypocrits, so if i need to have studied tides trhis guy should have done plenty of studying too but i forgot this place runs on double standards
  • Options

what a sad bunch I've never known such a bunch of hypocrits, so if i need to have studied tides trhis guy should have done plenty of studying too but i forgot this place runs on double standards

No ...he went to a proffesional.
  • Options

But surely the company hiring them out should know what they are doing too?
  • Options

Then why don't you just fuck off?

I'm sure we can live without threads having a go at people who've lost a child in an accident.

Great creeping Jesus.
  • Options
    Then why don't you just fuck off?

I'm sure we can live without threads having a go at people who've lost a child in an accident.

Great creeping Jesus.

IPD and KERMIT ...be a bit gentle with the guy ...you'e seen his posts since he's been here ....................:yeees: