Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Church of England in turmoil over gay wedding

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4142107.ece

Pity that, in common with most other religious denominations, the CoE is more concerned with its obsession with homosexuality than with anything else.

Maybe a split is what it needs, so the homophobic nutters can create their own splinter church. Ideally I'd like the CoE disappear altogether, with all other religions, but since that's unlikely to happen in our lifetime it'd be good if the bigots piss off and create their own little club.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find it hard to get worked up about stuff like this. It's just religious people deciding how they want to run their church. Just continue fighting for none of the rest of us to have to pay for any of it, and they'll be out of sight, out of mind.

But if they want my theological opinion (I'm sure they don't), then I have to side with the homophobes. It's quite clear in the scripture. A practicing gay person would be a sinner. Now obviously in Christianity, everyone struggles with sin, but that's quite different from actually accepting it. But Jesus goes even further. On the subject of adultery, for example, he states that you have already sinned if you have thought about committing it. It's not merely enough to follow the Jewish law, you've got to quell your mere desire to break it. Since he was talking about the Jewish law in general and giving examples, I assume that I'm permitted to take this concept as an example to the remainder of the teachings. And so in that context, imo a person who openly lusts after a member of the same sex would be convicting themselves of these thought-crimes in the Christian faith. So a homosexual wedding between two clergymen would be a pretty cut and dry issue to me if I wanted to follow Christianity. But having said that, when was the last time any churches followed what the bible says?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Ideally I'd like the CoE disappear altogether, with all other religions, but since that's unlikely to happen in our lifetime it'd be good if the bigots piss off and create their own little club.
    If you want the CoE and other religions to disappear then forcing them to accept homosexuality or to 'modernise' in other aspects would be counterproductive.

As I'm With Stupid said, the scripture makes it quite clear that homosexuality is a grave sin. Therefore the CoE should not be forced to accept homosexuality.

When it comes to religion, we need to TELL IT LIKE IT IS. We need to stop pretending that the religion accepts something that it clearly doesn't. The fundamentalists will always have the scriptures on their side afterall.

If we tell it like it is, then people will have a very clear choice of whether they wish to accept or reject the teachings of their religion, and I'm quite confident that any sane person in the 21st century would choose to reject.

Only then will these religions die out.
  • Options
    I would like to add that I don't agree with the terms gay 'marriage' or gay 'wedding' at all.

A 'marriage' or 'wedding' is the union between a man and a woman.

If same sex couples wish to give legal status to their partnership, then by all means do so. But don't call it a 'marriage'.
  • Options
    sanitize wrote: »
    As I'm With Stupid said, the scripture makes it quite clear that homosexuality is a grave sin. Therefore the CoE should not be forced to accept homosexuality.

To be honest, I don't think that anyone is forcing them to accept homosexuality. This is an entirely internal struggle. Let's get down to what this is really about: money and power. The church will preach whatever gets them the most bums on seats and the most political influence. Of course there's a delecate balancing act to be done there of constant liberalisation of their interpretation of the bible, and trying not to alienate their existing parishiners. In a way, this is one of the positive things about having a state-funded church. They have to move with general consensus of the population on morality and fit their religion around that, because if they started getting too extreme, then it wouldn't be long before their special status was removed. You can see what happens when it's left to the free market in America. People will go elsewhere to fulfill their spiritual needs, and there will be more than a fair share of the end is nigh, God hates fags, evolution-denying, fire and brimstone pastors to fill the shoes of the CofE. But I'd be more than prepared for that. ;)
  • Options
    I would like to add that I don't agree with the terms gay 'marriage' or gay 'wedding' at all.

If same sex couples wish to give legal status to their partnership, then by all means do so. But don't call it a 'marriage'.

Considering that nearly 2 out of 3 'straight' marriages end in divorce, I don't think straights have got the hang of 'marriage' either. The Bible, in almost every situation, forbids divorce so if most straights don't comply, why should they be the sole users of the term?
  • Options
    Is it more grave a sin than breaking one or more of the Ten Commandments?

Because I put it to you and everyone else that virtually nobody who has ever lived has not, at some point, broken at least one of them.

Thus, by that reasoning nobody at all deserves to be married in the Church.
  • Options

Terms change. Marriage is not an invention of the church, nor it does belong to it or it gets to decide what qualifies as one.
  • Options

Because I put it to you and everyone else that virtually nobody who has ever lived has not, at some point, broken at least one of them.

All sins are equal in Christianity. The point isn't the sin, it's the willingness to accept the sin and ask for forgiveness. Accepting your homosexuality and actively engaging in such activities wouldn't be behaviour that suggests asking for forgiveness or even recognising the "sin" in my opinion. Of course the CofE is highly hypocritical in this regard on a hell of a lot of other matters, I'm just giving my opinion based on what the bible itself says.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Considering that nearly 2 out of 3 'straight' marriages end in divorce, I don't think straights have got the hang of 'marriage' either. The Bible, in almost every situation, forbids divorce so if most straights don't comply, why should they be the sole users of the term?

:yes: Nobody has exclusive use of the term marriage. They were around a long time before Christianity, and will be around a long time after it. They were around a long time before marriage was an exclusive thing for a single man and single woman too. Indeed many states currently accept marriage as being between 1 man and several women (oddly not so much the other way around :chin:). In fact some Christian churches do, or have in the past.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All sins are equal in Christianity.
    I'm pretty sure that's Catholicism, not Christianity as a whole.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that's Catholicism, not Christianity as a whole.
    It says so in the bible:
    James 2:10
    10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
    1 John 3:4-5
    4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.

There is nothing in the bible that elevates one sin above another. All have the same punishment and all are forgiven by accepting Jesus. Incidentally, I first heard this from American evangelicals, so it's not an exclusively Catholic concept even in practice.
  • Options
    It says so in the bible:

There is nothing in the bible that elevates one sin above another. All have the same punishment and all are forgiven by accepting Jesus. Incidentally, I first heard this from American evangelicals, so it's not an exclusively Catholic concept even in practice.
    Hm, I see. Those parts could be interpeted in different ways though (pretty vague, like most of it). But that's not the subject here.
    Basically, my point is that this just says that even breaking one small thing means you can't say you uphold the "law" in its entirety. It doesn't mention whether some things are worse than others.
  • Options
    It doesn't mention whether some things are worse than others.

So why would you assume they are? You have to keep God's law. If you break one part of it, you break all of it. And if you break God's law and don't repent, you go to hell. That seems pretty clear to me.
  • Options
    So why would you assume they are? You have to keep God's law. If you break one part of it, you break all of it. And if you break God's law and don't repent, you go to hell. That seems pretty clear to me.
    That's like saying that being rude to your boss and stealing from the register are equally bad, because both will get you fired.
  • Options
    All sins are equal in Christianity. The point isn't the sin, it's the willingness to accept the sin and ask for forgiveness. Accepting your homosexuality and actively engaging in such activities wouldn't be behaviour that suggests asking for forgiveness or even recognising the "sin" in my opinion. Of course the CofE is highly hypocritical in this regard on a hell of a lot of other matters, I'm just giving my opinion based on what the bible itself says.
    But that argument is flawed in several ways. Many other 'sinners' are unrepentant and yet they attract no condemnation from the Church.

Rich people, for instance. It says it very clear on the Bible that rich people don't have a hope in hell of going to Heaven. As damning an act as they come. Yet, do we see the Church banning rich people from marrying within the faith unless they renounce their wealth?

And since the homophobes choose to justify their bigotry and prejudice based on a some versicles, most if not all of them confined in the OT, why not choose others? Why accept to marry off people who work on the Sabbath, or who eat shellfish? They should be stoning them to death, not marrying them off!

No. Even by their own rules it does not compute. It is unjustified discrimination and plain bigotry and hatred masquerading as 'the will of God'. It doesn't wash even by the Church's own rules- not for as long as they keep ignoring some 'sins' while concentrating on others.
  • Options
    But that argument is flawed in several ways. Many other 'sinners' are unrepentant and yet they attract no condemnation from the Church.
    Well like I said, theologically homosexuals shouldn't be preists, but theologocally the church should follow a hell of a lot of other rules that they don't bother with. Like I said, the church is hypocritical and will do whatever they need to to keep their status.
  • Options
    That's like saying that being rude to your boss and stealing from the register are equally bad, because both will get you fired.
    Well one would get you fired and arrested, so the punishment would be greater. But point to me the verses in the bible that mention different degrees of sin. Until you can do that, surely the verses that I've pointed to are enough to justify the interpretation that all sins are equal in the eyes of God according to Jesus? Incidentally, this is particular to Christianity, because the old testament does specify different punishments for different crimes (though it does AFAIK explicitly rank them in any way). The Old Testament doesn't have everlasting hell. Jesus was the one that says that it's an all or nothing thing (and that even think about it is enough that you must ask God's forgiveness to avoid hell).
  • Options
    Scale_of_marriage_evil.gif
  • Options
    Well one would get you fired and arrested, so the punishment would be greater. But point to me the verses in the bible that mention different degrees of sin. Until you can do that, surely the verses that I've pointed to are enough to justify the interpretation that all sins are equal in the eyes of God according to Jesus? Incidentally, this is particular to Christianity, because the old testament does specify different punishments for different crimes (though it does AFAIK explicitly rank them in any way). The Old Testament doesn't have everlasting hell. Jesus was the one that says that it's an all or nothing thing (and that even think about it is enough that you must ask God's forgiveness to avoid hell).
    It doesn't explicitly say they're all the same either.
  • Options
    It doesn't explicitly say they're all the same either.

It says the law must be taken in its entirety or not at all. And the punishment for not obeying the law in its entirety is hell. It doesn't need to explicitly state that they're the same. They're all one law, so by definition, they're all the same.
  • Options
    It says the law must be taken in its entirety or not at all. And the punishment for not obeying the law in its entirety is hell. It doesn't need to explicitly state that they're the same. They're all one law, so by definition, they're all the same.
    Never heard of laws that have different enforcements depending on the severity? For all we know, if you tell a lie in hell they'll be jabbing you with a clothes pin once every 5 days, while if you kill someone they'll be running you through a cheese grater 5 times a minute :p
    I don't really see why you're getting so worked up about it anyway... Let people believe whatever they want.
  • Options
    I don't really see why you're getting so worked up about it anyway... Let people believe whatever they want.
    I've already said that it's their church so they can do what they want (they do anyway). I was just stating what the bible has to say on the issue. You're the one that disagreed with me, remember? Just arguing my side. Debate and all that.
  • Options
    I've already said that it's their church so they can do what they want (they do anyway). I was just stating what the bible has to say on the issue. You're the one that disagreed with me, remember? Just arguing my side. Debate and all that.
    Nothing wrong with debating, I guess I just misunderstood your tone... Sorry! :)
    I still feel like it's out of topic in this thread though.
  • Options

There's a difference between committing a sin... and accepting/endorsing the sin.

If the church marries off a heterosexual couple who've broken the 10 commandments then that doesn't mean that the church endorses the fact that they broke the 10 commandments. How would the church know that they broke the commandments anyway?

On the other hand, if the church 'marries' off a homosexual couple then they're clearly accepting/endorsing homosexuality, which is completely against the scripture and would enrage God immensely.

I completely agree with the traditionalists who object to this ceremony.

Why the hell would a homosexual couple want to get married in the church anyway? :confused:
  • Options
    Hasn't the Church of England got more important things to worry about than making sure only one person who is getting "married" has a penis?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Hasn't the Church of England got more important things to worry about than making sure only one person who is getting "married" has a penis?

Like what? Claiming divine responsibility for natural disasters?
  • Options
    There's a difference between committing a sin... and accepting/endorsing the sin.

If the church marries off a heterosexual couple who've broken the 10 commandments then that doesn't mean that the church endorses the fact that they broke the 10 commandments. How would the church know that they broke the commandments anyway?

On the other hand, if the church 'marries' off a homosexual couple then they're clearly accepting/endorsing homosexuality, which is completely against the scripture and would enrage God immensely.

I completely agree with the traditionalists who object to this ceremony.

Why the hell would a homosexual couple want to get married in the church anyway? :confused:
    How about rich people then? That's arguably a far bigger no-no as far as the Almighty one is concerned than gays. JHC himself spoke against them.

So why does the Church welcome rich people and marry them off without a word of protest then? In many cases it is public knowledge they are rich, and they certainly haven't got any intention to give away their wealth to comply with the will of God.

As for why would any gay man want to marry in the church, I guess it's because they are Christian and believe in the message of love Jesus gave, rather than in the disgusting views in the OT promoting sexism, homophobia, racism, violence, murder, slavery and hatred.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

Dude, condemning people to hell to facilitate the indoctrination of people into their fruity little club is what the church is all about! This really is their bread and butter.
  • Options
    How about rich people then? That's arguably a far bigger no-no as far as the Almighty one is concerned than gays. JHC himself spoke against them.

So why does the Church welcome rich people and marry them off without a word of protest then? In many cases it is public knowledge they are rich, and they certainly haven't got any intention to give away their wealth to comply with the will of God.
    That's a poor comparison. If the church was conducting a ceremony which commemorates their wealth and the fact that they're rich, then you would've had a point.

But that's not what the church is doing. By marrying a heterosexual couple (who happen to be rich), the church is merely commemorating the union of a man and a woman in holy matrimony.
  • Options
    So we have 2 sins:

The sin of homosexuality
    The sin of being rich.

The scenarios below show how they would compare in regards to the church and what I've mentioned previously:
    Scenario 1

Church conducts wedding ceremony of rich heterosexual couple

the equivalent comparison would be:

Church conducts wedding ceremony of a gay man and a lesbian woman, eg, George Michael marrying Sue Perkins (which may seem mind-boggling, but it's perfectly possible)
    Scenario 2

Church conducts 'wedding' ceremony of a homosexual couple

the equivalent comparison would be:

Church conducts ceremony which commemorates the wealth of rich couple

In scenario 1, the individuals getting married may be sinners, but the church is not endorsing the sin.

In scenario 2, not only are the individuals sinners, but the church is also accepting/endorsing the sin.