Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jewish settlers attack Palestinians

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    Yet it kills more.

It's Ok because they do mean to?

No it's not 'OK', but it is clearly worse to indiscriminately target civilians and to desire to kill as many of them as you can.
    Skive wrote: »
    The state of Israel in it's entirety is taken land.
    More land continues to be taken with the wall. Palestian homes are still being bulldozed, and new illegal Jewish settlements continue to grow.

That land has only ever existed as the nation state of the Jews. If anything it was stolen from them, and they have every right to be there. Granted they should stop building settlements on land that has been set aside for the Palestinians.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    That land has only ever existed as the nation state of the Jews. If anything it was stolen from them, and they have every right to be there. Granted they should stop building settlements on land that has been set aside for the Palestinians.

Because of a piece of old text? Dangerous thinking. Jews and Arabs lived quite happily together on that land until there was a concerted effort to displace existing Palestinians and replace them with Jews from around the world and set up a Jewish state.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Jews and Arabs lived quite happily together on that land until there was a concerted effort to displace existing Palestinians and replace them with Jews from around the world and set up a Jewish state.

Quite happily? Israel has been the scene of inter faith and inter race killing for thousands of years.
  • Options
    The problem with the Arab-Israeli conflict is that any discussion of it always descends into historical debate - and more specifically historiography; being a debate about the different interpretations of the conflict... Yerascrote effectively saying that there was peace before Zionism is typical of this. Just as questioning Israel's very right to exist is unhelpful - repeatedly rehashing the views of the different 'camps' of Israeli history doesn't really help. I'm not saying that the history is irrelevant, it's obviously key to understanding the conflict - but instead of getting bogged down with the history, it's surely more constructive to think about the future.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Various UN resolutions have condemned them for the settlements and the occupation. The UK teachers' union boycotted Israeli professors and universities in the past, and the University and College Union are considering another boycott of Israeli universities.

OH WOW REALLY SMALL PEOPLE.

This isn't like the literally xbox huge condemnation of the Chinese or the Iraqi's now is it?

No-one ever makes a big deal of it. The UN don't rant about it often and it certainly never gets massive amounts of Media coverage. BUT the Chinese kill some Tibetans, and oh my God, look at the evil Communist savages. But I forget we live in a world where, despite the condemnation of the USSR for blatant propagnda news reports, we get force-fed the same balls they all swallowed most of the time. Hey, Israel is defending itself, but China is massacring innocents.

Coins, sides, two, of, and same. Re-arrange as necessary.
  • Options
    Er - no they're not.

Great argument genuis. Define race for me, and we'll go from there.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Yes and no. Yes all 'race' divisions are totally arbitary and the whole system is completely stupid, but I cant convert myself into a black person, but I can convert into a Jew.

You can convert to the religion of Judaism. You can't turn yourself into a member of the Jewish race. Just like you could embrace the culture of the particular group of black people you happen to marry into, but you can't change your genes. You're basing this entirely on physical appearance. The fact is you're stuck with the genes you came with whether they are skin pigmentation or resistance to a certain disease. The fact that you can see the effects of one and not the other is irrelevant. Like I said, if you accept that race exists, then the Jewish race has as much genetic basis for it as the black race (although genetically, the concept of a black race is ridiculous, because there is a wider variety within the black people of the world than there is in everyone else). If you don't accept that race exists, then the statement "they're as much a race as any other racial group" still stands.

And if you see race as more of a cultural thing, then surely you couldn't argue that the Jewish culture is any less distinct than that of other races?

Of course I'm more than willing to accept that the Jews aren't a race, but then neither are "black people." As soon as you start inventing such concepts, you have to jump through ever bigger hoops to justify them, and genetics was just one hoop to many for the concept of race imo.
  • Options
    You can't turn yourself into a member of the Jewish race.

:rolleyes: :banghead:
    Great argument genius

As I earlier said:
    Jews are not - and never have been a race. Given that there are Ethiopian Jews, Sephardi Jews, Ashkenazi Jews, Indian Cochin and Dasi Jews - and people of all different races have converted to Judaism, talking of Jews as a race makes absolutely no sense...

Jews are no more a race than Catholics or Muslims and the persistence of anti-Semitism has been blamed on this factually inaccurate assumption that there is a race of people known as Jews.
    If you don't accept that race exists, then the statement "they're as much a race as any other racial group" still stands.

No it doesn't. I agree that race itself is a social construct and Western definitions of 'white' have changed - i.e. in America, Italian and Irish immigrants were once not considered 'white'.

:lol: - visit Israel where you'll see Ethiopian Jews, Sephardi Jews and Ashkenazi Jews and tell me Judaism is a race. Seriously, it's the stupidest thing I've heard in ages.
  • Options
    :No it doesn't. I agree that race itself is a social construct and Western definitions of 'white' have changed - i.e. in America, Italian and Irish immigrants were once not considered 'white'.
    So if you agree that race is a social construct and there is no evidence for it as a concept, then you agree with my statement that Jews are just as much a race as any other. In other words, they're not. But they have an equally distinct cultural background that has made them the victims of persecution in the past.
    :lol: - visit Israel where you'll see Ethiopian Jews, Sephardi Jews and Ashkenazi Jews and tell me Judaism is a race. Seriously, it's the stupidest thing I've heard in ages.
    Ashkenazi Jews are known to have a particularly high rates (20 to 100 times the average) of:
    - Factor XI Deficiency
    - Familial Dysautonomia (Riley-Day syndrome)
    - Fanconi Anemia
    - Gaucher Disease
    - Mucolipidosis IV
    - Niemann-Pick Disease
    - Non-Classical Adrenal Hyperplasia
    - Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss
    - Tay-Sachs Disease
    - Torsion Dystonia
    That is enough of a genetic difference specific to call that group of people (call them what you want) a race to the same degree that you would any other. It is enough of a distinction to clearly seperate them from other people from exactly the same place in the world. There may be other people who follow the teachings of Judaism, but they are not members of the "Jewish race" as I'm talking about it here. The fact that there's a Jewish religion doesn't discount the possibility that there can also be a Jewish race. And not everyone in either group would be a member of both, even though there is inevitably some crossover. Is Woody Allen Jewish? Well he's made his career on it, despite being an outspoken atheist. The term may not be useful, but that doesn't discount the fact that there are a group of people who have had seperated breeding to similar degrees as other groups we identify as a race. The fact that this seperated breeding is a result of religious beliefs and persecution is inconsequential. The fact that those religious beliefs can be adopted by others and happen to have the same name is also inconsequential. Incidentally, the concept of the Jewish race precedes the religion that bears its name. Your argument would be great if I was arguing that the term Jew referred to a race of people and not a person of a particular religion, but I'm not. I'm arguing that the two groups exist alongside each other (as much as a "race" exists in the first place), are a product of each other, and just happen to bear the same name as a result.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Because of a piece of old text? Dangerous thinking. Jews and Arabs lived quite happily together on that land until there was a concerted effort to displace existing Palestinians and replace them with Jews from around the world and set up a Jewish state.

The fact that pieces of 'old text' are one the most important sources of history aside, the bible isn't the only evidence, there is archaeological and other evidence to support it.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    OH WOW REALLY SMALL PEOPLE.

This isn't like the literally xbox huge condemnation of the Chinese or the Iraqi's now is it?

No-one ever makes a big deal of it. The UN don't rant about it often and it certainly never gets massive amounts of Media coverage. BUT the Chinese kill some Tibetans, and oh my God, look at the evil Communist savages. But I forget we live in a world where, despite the condemnation of the USSR for blatant propagnda news reports, we get force-fed the same balls they all swallowed most of the time. Hey, Israel is defending itself, but China is massacring innocents.

Coins, sides, two, of, and same. Re-arrange as necessary.

Lots of people do make a big deal about it, the UN does rant about it often, it does get massive amounts of media coverage. Which cave have you been living in all this time?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

You can't argue with the fact that within the last hundred years Jewish immigration with the help of Britian and the US to what is now the state of Israel, has been a calculated displacement of Palestinians.

And Israel continues to grab land through illegal settlements and walls.

And the IDG to target innocent civilians, they use children as human shields and they shoot children for throwing rocks at tanks ffs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I mean it doesn't matter if they are Jewish. It's like saying they are black. It's a race of people therefore it's racism to identify them and shame the entire race based on the actions of a few misguided ones.

The difference is (if it hasn't been mentioned already) is this religious turmoil going on. The extremist Jewish perspective is that all the land there has been given by god and therefore anyone else is only falsely living there, hence motivating attacks like this. It's not about the Jewish race, but about the Jewish religion.

And *officially* the exodus of the arabs / Palestinians by force and intimidation from many areas of Israel / West Bank / Gaza can actually be defined (in some interpretations) as genocide. (which is quite shocking) But that's a bit of an aside.

I think it's rubbish how some defend what happens today and tomorrow on religious / ownership grounds. It doesn't matter. What matters is the people who live and die there. You can try to justify it all you want but the fact is many more innocent Palestinians are killed than innocent Israeli's, and what's more those innocent Palestinians are more often than not killed by operatives of the state, rather than rogue vigilante's which is often the case with the Palestinian resistance.

I mean, just look into it and do some reading - from both sides - for a minute. It's the same of the western world that we permit effectively state sanctioned genocide because of the political benefits having a westernised nation in the middle east offer.
  • Options
    The road to peace ..................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3mdlXqW4Pg
  • Options
  • Options
    The brits were occupying Palestine in the second world war.
    Zionist terrorists kept attacking them.
    The Brits set up Israel for these terrorists ...look up ...the Stern Gang.
    Israel is a terrorist state from its very foundations.
  • Options
    The brits were occupying Palestine in the second world war.
    Zionist terrorists kept attacking them.
    The Brits set up Israel for these terrorists ...look up ...the Stern Gang.
    Israel is a terrorist state from its very foundations.

So's half the world.
  • Options
    So's half the world.

Which half?
  • Options
    Which half?

The half which was owned by the UK, France or Spain...
  • Options
    The half which was owned by the UK, France or Spain...

Ahhh ...your probably right.