Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Jewish settlers attack Palestinians

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Fucking sick cowardly bastards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7451691.stm

I just wish I could honestly go over there and give them a taste of their own medicine :( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Options
    They are not isolated cases either. The illegal settlements have always been home to some of the worst kind of extremist scum imaginable.

For as long as a single one remain peace will be impossible.
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    That's like saying a bunch of white football fans raided off license and killed the shop keeper.

What's it got to do with the Jewish?

Quite racist.

:confused:
  • Options
    That's like saying a bunch of white football fans raided off license and killed the shop keeper.

Quite racist.

Wtf are you on about? are you talking to me?
  • Options
    I think J means that they are Israeli as opposed to Jewish (although they were all, no doubt, Jewish anyway).
  • Options
    I mean it doesn't matter if they are Jewish. It's like saying they are black. It's a race of people therefore it's racism to identify them and shame the entire race based on the actions of a few misguided ones.

He said "Jewish settlers" not "all Jews" or "every Jewish settler".
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well, who is supprised here? I am not. The Israeli government has such an anti-Palestinian stance that it's bound to rub off on the people who live there.

It's like Hitler blamed all the failing of Germany on the Jews, so people hated them. Israel blames everything on the Palestinians, so people hate them.

A scapegoat means you don't have to realise it is your own fault - something people hate doing. Give them a scapegoat, and they will destroy the scapegoat.
  • Options

Quite racist.

Rubbish. It has everything to with them being Jewish.
  • Options
    if you're going to treat jews as a race then "the jewish state" sounds quite racist eh?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    if you're going to treat jews as a race then "the jewish state" sounds quite racist eh?

It was founded as a Jewish state so I see no problem with using that particular terminology.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »

If? Since when did they stop being a race then
  • Options
    I don't think any harm was meant when he described them as jewish settlers. He obviously means the jewish that had settled in that area, not all jews.

I'm sure you understand.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Well, who is supprised here? I am not. The Israeli government has such an anti-Palestinian stance that it's bound to rub off on the people who live there.

Is that the anti-Palestinian stance that gives Arabs Israeli citizenship and treats Palestinians in Israeli hospitals, and allows humanitarian aid into Gaza even while Palestinians attack the crossing points, or the anti-Palestinian stance that tries to stop Palestinian terrorists killing innocent Israeli civilians?
    It's like Hitler blamed all the failing of Germany on the Jews, so people hated them. Israel blames everything on the Palestinians, so people hate them.

A scapegoat means you don't have to realise it is your own fault - something people hate doing. Give them a scapegoat, and they will destroy the scapegoat.

This is certainly the case with Hamas, atleast, who teach and believe that Jews were behind the French and Russian revolutions, and both world wars - basically that everywhere in the world where there is a problem, there is a Jew.

If the clip shows what it purports to show, then I sincerely hope that those responsible are caught and punished. But let's not pretend that the Israeli government or the majority of Israeli citizens support or condone such acts.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Runnymede wrote: »
    Is that the anti-Palestinian stance that gives Arabs Israeli citizenship and treats Palestinians in Israeli hospitals, and allows humanitarian aid into Gaza even while Palestinians attack the crossing points, or the anti-Palestinian stance that tries to stop Palestinian terrorists killing innocent Israeli civilians?

Yes, and the Israeli's never kill innocent Palestinians, they don't fire off artillery at refugee camps for people who's land they stole in the first place, as if that wasn't bad enough. Yes, the cases you mention are real, but they are NOT the majority at all.
    This is certainly the case with Hamas, atleast, who teach and believe that Jews were behind the French and Russian revolutions, and both world wars - basically that everywhere in the world where there is a problem, there is a Jew.

If the clip shows what it purports to show, then I sincerely hope that those responsible are caught and punished. But let's not pretend that the Israeli government or the majority of Israeli citizens support or condone such acts.

The majority of citizens, I hope, and beleive, do not. There are many citizens fed up with the government and it' anti-Palestinian stance. Let us not forget how much land Israel is illegally occupying and has settled - something they never get condemed for - and yet Saddam got his arse kicked for occupying Kuwait in '91, and China is condemed for occupying Tibet - with talk of people boycotting the Olympics.

Double standards by the world much?
  • Options
    Is that the anti-Palestinian stance that gives Arabs Israeli citizenship and treats Palestinians in Israeli hospitals
    And the same one that forbids them from marrying Jews or owning land in certain areas, in an exercise of Apartheid and racial discrimination the worst tyrants of the 20th Century would be proud of
    and allows humanitarian aid into Gaza
    Oh really?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7296750.stm
    or the anti-Palestinian stance that tries to stop Palestinian terrorists killing innocent Israeli civilians?
    No, I think he was referring to the anti-Palestinian stance that has illegally occupied the land of the Palestinians, forcibly displaced more than a million of them, and subjected the rest to decades of unspeakable abuse, opression and killings.
  • Options

Giving Arabs Israeli citizenships and treating them like normal Israelis are two totally different things. Arabs in Israel suffer discrimination at various levels of society. Also, why should the whole people of Gaza suffer for the actions of a few?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    If? Since when did they stop being a race then

:rolleyes: Jews are not - and never have been a race. Given that there are Ethiopian Jews, Sephardi Jews, Ashkenazi Jews, Indian Cochin and Dasi Jews - and people of all different races have converted to Judaism, talking of Jews as a race makes absolutely no sense... Converts are eligible to emigrate to Israel under the Law of Return and the Torah is also clear that converts are equal.

This attack by settlers is obviously outrageous. I'm sure an investigation will follow and hopefully those behind it are punished. There are lunatic Israeli settlers committed to violence - the fundamentalist that assassinated Israeli PM Yitzhak Rabin is the most famous... And on the Palestinian side - Hamas and Islamic Jihad through repeated suicide bombs and missile attacks have brought misery, murder and fear.
    Arabs in Israel suffer discrimination at various levels of society.

Arab citizens in Israel worship freely in their own mosques, have their own political parties (and representation in the Knesset) and have the same legal rights as any other Israeli. Find me an Arab state where Jews have freedom of religion and similar political freedoms... Things have been so bad in much of the Arab world for many Jews that they've fled.
  • Options
    ... and just to clarify my topic header, i took it word for word from the BBC page:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yes, and the Israeli's never kill innocent Palestinians, they don't fire off artillery at refugee camps for people who's land they stole in the first place, as if that wasn't bad enough. Yes, the cases you mention are real, but they are NOT the majority at all.

The Israeli government does not set out to kill as many innocent civilians as it can, Hamas does.
    The majority of citizens, I hope, and beleive, do not. There are many citizens fed up with the government and it' anti-Palestinian stance. Let us not forget how much land Israel is illegally occupying and has settled - something they never get condemed for - and yet Saddam got his arse kicked for occupying Kuwait in '91, and China is condemed for occupying Tibet - with talk of people boycotting the Olympics.

Double standards by the world much?

Various UN resolutions have condemned them for the settlements and the occupation. The UK teachers' union boycotted Israeli professors and universities in the past, and the University and College Union are considering another boycott of Israeli universities.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And the same one that forbids them from marrying Jews or owning land in certain areas, in an exercise of Apartheid and racial discrimination the worst tyrants of the 20th Century would be proud of

Feel free to post a link to back those assertions up.

Yes, and the article you've linked to says just that.
    No, I think he was referring to the anti-Palestinian stance that has illegally occupied the land of the Palestinians, forcibly displaced more than a million of them, and subjected the rest to decades of unspeakable abuse, opression and killings.

Lands which were occupied while they were under attack, and are still occupied because they are still under attack. The reasons for the exodus (if that's what you're referring to) are debateable. The Palestinians have been subjected to oppressions because they have continued in their vile hate-filled attempt to destroy Israel from its inception.
  • Options
    The Israeli government does not set out to kill as many innocent civilians as it can, Hamas does.

Yet it kills more.

It's Ok because they do mean to?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Lands which were occupied while they were under attack, and are still occupied because they are still under attack

The state of Israel in it's entirety is taken land.
    More land continues to be taken with the wall. Palestian homes are still being bulldozed, and new illegal Jewish settlements continue to grow.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Feel free to post a link to back those assertions up.
    The key law is "Israeli Land Law," which set up a government-appointed body called the "Israel Land Authority" (ILA), controlled by a board partly appointed by the government and partly by the World Zionist Organization through its subsidiary branch, the "Jewish National Fund" (JNF), to control all the land owned by the state. A key paragraph in the law states that ILA will administer its land according to the regulations of JNF. The regulations of the latter strictly prohibit all non-Jews from benefiting in any way from JNF land and by this simple trick the Israeli state lands (92 percent of the area of Israel) were removed from the use of non-Jews.
    http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:DB6qCooMeXsJ:www.washington-report.org/backissues/0198/9801088.html+israel+discrimination+non-jews+land&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

And as for marriage laws, I got it slightly wrong. There is no law that forbids Israelis from marrying Palestinians. It simply forbids the filthy little Arabs from living together with their spouses in Israel. As racist and nauseating a law as they come
    Israel's High Court has narrowly upheld a law denying Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza married to Israeli citizens the right to live in the country with their spouses.
    The judges voted by six to five not to cancel a four-year-old amendment to the Citizenship Law which outlaws "family unification" in Israel between Palestinians and Arab citizens of Israel.
    It was passed as a one-year emergency measure in 2002 on the ground that it was needed to protect Israeli security. But the amendment, described yesterday by the Knesset member Ran Cohen, of the left-wing Meretz party, as "rooted in racism", has been renewed every year since then.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/racist-marriage-law-upheld-by-israel-478291.html

Yes, and the article you've linked to says just that.
    Really? I was reading about horrendous hardships brought over by the blockade, and gravely ill citizens being denied access to live-saving treatment.

There are plenty more links if you care to look as well. They detail the appalling, disgusting sub-existence the Palestinians are being put through by the Israeli blockade:
    Gaza's population has been reduced to a "subhuman existence" where basic humanitarian needs are going unmet in the face of rapidly deteriorating conditions, according to a senior UN official.
    An Israeli economic blockade on the Gaza Strip, home to 1.5 million Palestinians, has produced shortages of fuel and basic supplies and has closed most private businesses and pushed up poverty rates
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/12/israelandthepalestinians.unitednations

Of course, regardless of the actual impact, the point remains that the blockaded amounts to collective punishment. A tactic forbidden by international law and morally repugnant. Interestingly it was a popular tactic of the Third Reich. Who would have thought that the people who were the victims of the worst case of persecution in history would only a generation or two later be copying some of the actions of their aggressors and apply them to others….

Lands which were occupied while they were under attack, and are still occupied because they are still under attack. The reasons for the exodus (if that's what you're referring to) are debateable. The Palestinians have been subjected to oppressions because they have continued in their vile hate-filled attempt to destroy Israel from its inception.
    Bollocks. Other than arguably the Golan Heights, the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza has nothing to do with “defending themselves” and everything with land grabs. You know it as well as everybody else. That really doesn’t wash.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: Jews are not - and never have been a race.

Of course they are not, but that doesnt stop them being protected by the Race Relations Act in the UK.

As for the issue itself, is anyone at all surprised? The majority of the 'native' Israelis are moderates but the settlers are by the very nature more extreme and are far more likely to have similar views in reality to Hamas.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Of course they are not, but that doesnt stop them being protected by the Race Relations Act in the UK.

They're as much a race as any other racial group, as arbitrary as that term is anyway. People of the Jewish race are known to have different rates of certain genetic conditions, for example, in exactly the same way as other racial groups, caused by centuries of isolated breeding. If you're willing to use the term "race" to seperate people, then you have to accept Jewish people as a specific race.
  • Options
    They're as much a race as any other racial group, as arbitrary as that term is anyway. People of the Jewish race are known to have different rates of certain genetic conditions, for example, in exactly the same way as other racial groups, caused by centuries of isolated breeding. If you're willing to use the term "race" to seperate people, then you have to accept Jewish people as a specific race.

Yes and no. Yes all 'race' divisions are totally arbitary and the whole system is completely stupid, but I cant convert myself into a black person, but I can convert into a Jew.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »

I think that's mainly because anti-Semites tend to view Judaism as a race.
    As for the issue itself, is anyone at all surprised? The majority of the 'native' Israelis are moderates but the settlers are by the very nature more extreme and are far more likely to have similar views in reality to Hamas.

As far as a lot of Israelis are concerned settlers are a nuisance... even a lot of Israeli soldiers hate them. Alan Dershowitz - one of the most vocal defenders of Israel in America, is against Israeli settlements... Unfortunately, Olmert isn't strong enough politically to be able to bring about withdrawals from the bulk of the West Bank.
  • Options
    They're as much a race as any other racial group

Er - no they're not.
  • Options
    Honourary Jew imo. It has to be on your mothers side too.

No, being a jew is about your religion and nothing else, to suggest they are a seperate race is just plain stupid.
  • Options
    Honourary Jew imo.

I think I'd take the word of the Torah over a nutter... The Torah, as any Rabbi would tell you is pretty clear that converts and born-Jews are equal.
    It has to be on your mothers side too.

True of Orthodox Judaism but not of Reform and Liberal Judaism. And Reform is the biggest denomination in America.
    the Reform Movement does not follow the tradition of recognizing inheritance of Jewish identity solely through the mother. The position of most Reform rabbis is to accept the Jewish identity of a person with only one Jewish parent (a mother or father) only if he or she was raised as a Jew with appropriate public rituals of Jewish identity (a Jewish baby naming, for example).
    See here...

It's not difficult to google stuff - I wish people bothered to do some basic research before presenting all sorts of assumptions as fact.