Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

@the older members of the forum

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katchika wrote: »
    Do everything you can before you have a)kids, b)a serious partner, or c) a mortgage. Make the most.
    How does getting a mortgage stop you from doing stuff? You can bugger off abroad for a year and just rent it out to people. And make more from the rent payments than your mortgage costs.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    How does getting a mortgage stop you from doing stuff? You can bugger off abroad for a year and just rent it out to people. And make more from the rent payments than your mortgage costs.

Errr, no, it's not always as simple as that.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Easier than the UK? :confused:
    Interesting. I'd say the UK is generally NOT that easy a place for romance. Yes, its very easy for anyone to have a drunken pull in a bar/club given our booze culture and how wasted so many people get. But for many its pretty hard to get into a relationship - from the dating game to something more serious. Lots of people can't even date - if a guy's too shy to ask someone out they can be fooked. All a different game in NYC where it's just so open, I had girls coming up to me in cafes at lunch asking if I was single and stuff, you don't get that here enough!
  • Options
    Great thread - made me feel a lot more optimistic about what is to come. Thanks to those who replied.
  • Options
    ahh i find this thread scary :nervous:
  • Options
    I'm 20, some advice:

- enjoy life because it's over too soon :p

The beauty of this is it's applicable to everyone. Wjhats the point working 24/7 if you're miserable doing so. I'd rather work with my hands building someones conservatory for £5 an hour and be happy. (n ot saying that would make me happy, lol)
  • Options
    Time and time again on here I am actually amazed at the wisdom and advice and comfort given to me by members who are significantly younger than myself on here. It surprises me how much I can learn, the more I've though about how to reply to this thread the more I'm drawn to this response.
  • Options
    very cliche but if you fail to plan you plan to fail. doesn't mean everything in your life will go to plan but i've seen what happens to people without any sort of direction, and it's not pretty. also read and try to stay in shape, life's too short to be a fat bloater on the couch watching big brother. i should know i used to be one! travelling has also been an eye opener, and i've barely even started...
  • Options
    It's the things you din't do that you could end up regretting.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Easier than the UK? :confused:

Yes, if you have a British accent:yes:
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Yes, if you have a British accent:yes:
    Speaking from first-hand experience, I say amen to this :D
  • Options
    Advice-wise, I don't think I can add to what Wyetry and GWST said, they pretty much summed it up. :thumb:

There's a lot of truth also in the lyrics that Flashman put up :yes:
  • Options
    Speaking from first-hand experience, I say amen to this :D

It brings new meaning to the term 'special relationship' :thumb:
  • Options
    Some quick advice.

Always try to go to cambridge or oxford when looking at universities, because just the name is worth so much. If you think of all the graduates of all the universities in the UK, around half the graduate jobs go to graduates of those two universities.

Although I love York, part of me regrets not really trying to get in there because it has that reputation that no matter how clever you are at another university, you can't get afterwards. I might not have got in anyway, but I shuold have at least tried.
  • Options
    I should have stayed in the army.I would have been a paratrooper by now.:(
    I want to go back but not sure whether I should,I feel embarassed going back .:blush:
    But if I dont try again........?