Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

@the older members of the forum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm 24, and i'm wondering if anyone older than me can share their knowledge/experience/advice to other people my age.

what advice would you give to yourself age 24, or a random 24 yr old lad like me about the future?

thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Always remember when your at the bottom and people say the only way is up ...they're lying. Cos believe me you can still dig deeper.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    i'm 24, and i'm wondering if anyone older than me can share their knowledge/experience/advice to other people my age.

what advice would you give to yourself age 24, or a random 24 yr old lad like me about the future?

thanks.
    I'm your age too, and had my 40yo workmates give me a lot of advice at the pub on Friday -

1. Go work abroad for 1-4 years. Now is the time to do it, somewhere like New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Sydney. They said you'd regret it if you don't and look back having only lived/worked in the same country, it looks really good on the CV, and easier to get girls in places like NY where the dating culture is much more open and direct.

2. Don't settle down, ideally sleep around lots, have lots of flings / casual relationships. They all found the right person in their early 30s, again saying they'd have regretted being with the same person through their 20s. Obviously a slightly controversial opinion.

I'd basically say make the most of it. You're young, not committed with a wife/kids presumably, so pack in everything into your life you won't be able to do later. Work hard in your job to move up the career ladder, enjoy some crazy travels, don't waste too much time procrastinating.
  • Options
    i wish id travelled more before having children because theyre not really that portable really once theyre there.
    Id advise a younger me to do that.

Also dont do so much drugs, leave that idiot and dont drop out of college
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    I'm your age too, and had my 40yo workmates give me a lot of advice at the pub on Friday -

1. Go work abroad for 1-4 years. Now is the time to do it, somewhere like New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore, Sydney. They said you'd regret it if you don't and look back having only lived/worked in the same country, it looks really good on the CV, and easier to get girls in places like NY where the dating culture is much more open and direct.

2. Don't settle down, ideally sleep around lots, have lots of flings / casual relationships. They all found the right person in their early 30s, again saying they'd have regretted being with the same person through their 20s. Obviously a slightly controversial opinion.

I'd basically say make the most of it. You're young, not committed with a wife/kids presumably, so pack in everything into your life you won't be able to do later. Work hard in your job to move up the career ladder, enjoy some crazy travels, don't waste too much time procrastinating.

this is my problem.... ive been wanting to travel for ages but could never afford it. i then worked a crappy job for a year, saving up some money to go travelling this summer for a year. But i few months ago i landed myself a good job in the field i studied in, and i would be stupid to quit really. I see myself staying in this job at least for 12 more months. But i dont want to leave my travelling too late.
  • Options
    i wish id travelled more before having children because theyre not really that portable really once theyre there.
    Id advise a younger me to do that.

Also dont do so much drugs, leave that idiot and dont drop out of college

i knocked the drugs on the head a few years ago, but im seriously considers knocking the drink as well. And i nearly dropped out of uni, but stuck it out and now ive got a decent job.
    I doubt ill be having kids soon lol. Im awful with the ladies as it is...
  • Options
    If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded. But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you can't grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked….You're not as fat as you imagine.

Don't worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing everyday that scares you

Sing

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss

Don't waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind…the race is long, and in the end, it's only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch

Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your life…the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds know still don't.

Get plenty of calcium.

Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't, maybe you'll have children, maybe you won't, maybe you'll divorce at 40, maybe you'll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary…what ever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's. Enjoy your body, use it every way you can…don't be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own..

Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions, even if you don't follow them.

Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents, you never know when they'll be gone for good.

Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go,but for the precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography in lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out.

Don't mess too much with your hair, or by the time it's 40, it will look 85.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen...

http://www.leoslyrics.com/listlyrics.php?hid=T60Oxd6GhCw%3D
  • Options
    No regrets.
  • Options
    I want to travel but saving money, or rather keeping money is not something I do easily and the student loan company will probably have me up the left for quite a while
  • Options
    this is my problem.... ive been wanting to travel for ages but could never afford it. i then worked a crappy job for a year, saving up some money to go travelling this summer for a year. But i few months ago i landed myself a good job in the field i studied in, and i would be stupid to quit really. I see myself staying in this job at least for 12 more months. But i dont want to leave my travelling too late.
    I'm talking about "working abroad" rather than "travelling". ie if you're doing a graduate career, going to one of your firm's international offices for a couple of years and doing the same job there. Or if your firm is British only, transferring to a larger multinational. UK's got to be one of the most expensive places for a graduate to live anyway, your dollars will stretch more in Sydney.

I can't emphasise enough making the very most of it all and packing a lot of stuff in - do you want to look back on your 20s and think how you spent all your time in a mundane job and the rest slacking in front of the TV/internet? Get an interesting hobby (dancing, sport, music etc) into your spare time, will keep you challenged and motivated.
  • Options
    I'm talking about "working abroad" rather than "travelling". ie if you're doing a graduate career, going to one of your firm's international offices for a couple of years and doing the same job there. Or if your firm is British only, transferring to a larger multinational. UK's got to be one of the most expensive places for a graduate to live anyway, your dollars will stretch more in Sydney.

I can't emphasise enough making the very most of it all and packing a lot of stuff in - do you want to look back on your 20s and think how you spent all your time in a mundane job and the rest slacking in front of the TV/internet? Get an interesting hobby (dancing, sport, music etc) into your spare time, will keep you challenged and motivated.

well, ive been looking into teaching english in china, and teaching basketball in ghana. I was 95% certain to start one of them this summer, but this new job i got a few months ago has changed that. Maybe i should just ask this same question again in 12 months....

i have been spending a bit too much time slacking in front on the internet recently, attempting to save money for going abroad. bit of a catch 22 though.

cheers though. top advice so far. thanks people.
  • Options
    Hmmm,Im only 20.:blush:
    I know what I want to do with my life is just the doing it that holds me back!!:p
    Ideally Id also sleep around a lot too:naughty: as I dont want to look back and remember all the fun I COULD have had with women but my luck there never seems to be high.:no: :D
    Basically,I think we all want to be able to look back on our own lives and not be able to regret anything,be able to say we did everything we wanted,everything we wanted to achieved we did or if we didnt we gave it everything we had.
    Sorry,rambled a bit there.:cool:
  • Options
    In my life, the only things I regret are thing that I've not done.

I suppose I need to imagine myself in the future, as hard as that may be...
    Having a bank holiday with nothing to do does make me think a lot about things...
  • Options
    In my life, the only things I regret are thing that I've not done.
    Exactly. Therefore, my general advice would be if you have a hunch about something, follow it and do it.

About the travel thing, I also highly recommend it, but at 24 you still have lots of time to travel or work abroad. If you have landed yourself the job you wanted then just postpone the travels, don't worry too much about it.

And basically, just ENJOY life. That's the advice I'd give to my 24yo self, definitely. :yes:
  • Options
    Good advice for you is to imagine yourself looking back on your life when you're older and seeing the things you haven't done. Is there anything there you see that urges you to make changes or will you be happy with all of it?
  • Options
    Don't do things you can't afford but do a budget and work out ways to afford the things you want to do - i'm not sure if that makes sense but i know loads of people who've got into debt at an early age on things which aren't constructive - just like lots of gadgets and nights out and that kind of thing and now are having to scrimp and save to pay them back.

But what you should do is ensure you hve enough money for fun stuff - because having fun is important....

Um i can't think of any more - do some volunteering maybe
  • Options
    As a famous singer once sang ...'life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans'.
  • Options
    TRAVEL, at any cost. Well, not at any financial cost, because Wyetry already covered what I want to say about doing things within your financial means but doing it nontheless. The time I spent living in Hamburg when I was 16... I rode bike taxis and lived a total hand to mouth existence. Best time of my life (excluding the present). I'm a bit different, I suppose, and out of the ordinary... but I would let the job wait until another time and head out over the horizon. You can always find work, you can always survive. It's character forming, and the people you meet during the times when you have fuck all but have a fantastic time regardless... well they are your friends for life. I can attest to that.

Living, working, travelling in different countries is the best way to broaden your horizons. I have been taking every opportunity to travel and live in different countries since I was 16 and I will continue to do so until my children are of school-going age. The best decision I ever made was to just get out there in the big, wide world and see places, meet people, experience new things. It's life-changing in every way, ways you can't even imagine until you do it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    TRAVEL, at any cost. Well, not at any financial cost, because Wyetry already covered what I want to say about doing things within your financial means but doing it nontheless. The time I spent living in Hamburg when I was 16... I rode bike taxis and lived a total hand to mouth existence. Best time of my life (excluding the present). I'm a bit different, I suppose, and out of the ordinary... but I would let the job wait until another time and head out over the horizon. You can always find work, you can always survive. It's character forming, and the people you meet during the times when you have fuck all but have a fantastic time regardless... well they are your friends for life. I can attest to that.

Living, working, travelling in different countries is the best way to broaden your horizons. I have been taking every opportunity to travel and live in different countries since I was 16 and I will continue to do so until my children are of school-going age. The best decision I ever made was to just get out there in the big, wide world and see places, meet people, experience new things. It's life-changing in every way, ways you can't even imagine until you do it.
    Fantastic..I envy that. The thing stopping me from moving is that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - I've got a good paid job here I enjoy and have a relaxed work environment. If I go to an international office it could be more ruthless, wouldnt have the same friends, wouldn't enjoy it. Not wanting to risk breaking my comfort zone is stopping me from having this amazing international experience, but give it a couple of years I may take the plunge.
  • Options
    Fantastic..I envy that. The thing stopping me from moving is that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - I've got a good paid job here I enjoy and have a relaxed work environment. If I go to an international office it could be more ruthless, wouldnt have the same friends, wouldn't enjoy it. Not wanting to risk breaking my comfort zone is stopping me from having this amazing international experience, but give it a couple of years I may take the plunge.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I hope you do make the break, at some point, you wouldn't regret it. But speaking in realistic terms, I can see that it would become harder and harder, the longer you're in a "real job" and the more progress you make on your chosen career path. Any opportunity - whether through work or just through sudden random desire for a change of scenery - grab it with both hands :thumb:

Remember when you're young you don't NEED to be realistic, of course. Good jobs will always be around, despite what people say. The world will also (hopefully) still be around, too, but it's just harder as you get older and start to make a real life for yourself. If you see what I mean...

Other advice would be to learn everything you can while you can, try everything while you can. It does get harder to try new things and think outside of the box - so to speak - as you grow older. And you can never have enough knowledge, never have enough experiences, and never know enough people.

Most importantly, have fun. To coin a cliché (and I've become a walking book of them over the last year or so) "youth is wasted on the young." You see so many serious, anxious young people these days that it's startling. I guess it was always like that, the only safeguard against that is not getting into debt, I think... that's the ball and chain that keeps my friends tied to one place when they want to be anywhere but there. I don't like it one bit, life's for living while you're young, free and [possibly] single.
  • Options
    Marry up, sleep down.

Travel I guess. I've done quite a bit of it myself and it's not done my one scintilla of harm.
  • Options
    I really don't know if I'm going in the right direction with my life these days either. At the moment, I'm working in the arcade six days a week. I do enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but there's hardly anything else in my life right now. You do need something other than work in your life, no matter how important your job is to your self-esteem or of course, your bank account. That's the only thing I could advise you right now.
  • Options
  • Options
    When I was about 24 I gave up caring what other people thought, and I reckon that this was the best decision I ever made. I wear stuff I like regardless of whether it's in fashion or not (it mostly isn't) and am much happier for it, even if my husband does tell me regularly that I look very odd.

There are all kinds of things that people will tell you are "must do's" that you will hugely regret if you fail to experience them and by and large, it's a crock of shit. Only you know what kind of a person you are and what you will probably enjoy and what you will consider a massive waste of time, money and effort. Some people say that uni was the best time of their lives and others think it was the biggest mistake they've ever made. Some people will tell you you should travel as much as possible and some people will tell you to put as much effort into your career as possible. You can't do everything.

Advice I'd give to anyone (not aimed specifically at 24 year olds) is

Try out as many different things as possible.

This doesn't neccessarily mean that you have to travel the world. I know a host of people that have been all over but never stepped out of their comfort zone and tried mixing with different types of people, or doing something that they'd never normally dare to. What's the point in going somewhere like Thailand if you end up with a group of other 24 year old westerners getting shitfaced every night? Have you really gained anything? On the other hand, your middle aged work colleage could actually be someone with a devastatingly dry sense of humour and a penchant for all kinds of odd stuff you'd never even considered. On the other hand, they may be a middle aged colleague who likes collecting stamps. Point is, you won't know if you don't step out of your own comfort zone.

Learn how to prioritise and organise.

It will save you massive amounts of time, stress and MONEY. Being spontaneous is great and can be very rewarding, but without some kind of structure your life will fall apart if you let it.

Have one eye on the here and now but do keep the other on the future.

Don't spend so much time worrying about the long term that you don't enjoy the present. But if you don't have long term plans then chances are you won't end up enjoying the future much. It sounds really scary at first, but you DO need to think about stuff like a pension and you DO need to work out what you want in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. Planning, organising and prioritising again. If you want to have a flash city apartment then you need to work out how to get it. Getting into debt is not a great experience and it's what will probably happen if you don't start thinking about this kind of thing.

Ask other people for advice, but don't blindly follow it before considering whether it actually applies to you and your situation.

Goes for everything I've said here. Maybe you live for the moment and don't want to plan out anything at all, in which case, everything I've said really isn't going to suit you too well. You need to be critical of everything that's said to you - don't automatically think that someone else knows what's good for you better than you do.

:)
    Very well thought out reply! :thumb:
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I'll remember this thread and post you something from my death-bed. I don't feel qualified at the moment... ;)

Even at 27? :)
  • Options
    As a famous singer once sang ...'life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans'.

John Lennon.
  • Options
    ... and easier to get girls in places like NY where the dating culture is much more open and direct.

Easier than the UK? :confused:
  • Options
    Do everything you can before you have a)kids, b)a serious partner, or c) a mortgage. Make the most.
  • Options
    One thing I'd say is: don't wish your life away. People seem in such a hurry to grow up these days, and I hear people who are 20 and 23 and 26 thinking they're really old, and that is still so young. It's not the 50s anymore, and I know plenty of people in their 30s and even 40s who are still big kids.

Life's short, and I guarantee you that one thing you won't think on your deathbed is 'oh god, I wish I'd had less fun'. Unless you're very strange, in which case, don't listen to me, age before your time.
  • Options
    I've had a long think about this over the weekend and I think that the best advice i can give is work hard and play hard.

Basically I guess what i'm saying is dont' waste your youth taking loads of drugs and sitting on your backside - that includes going to university and not doing any work.

I guess what i'm saying is if you decide to do it don't do it halfheartedly.

Going to university is not the be all and end all of anything but if you go make sure its for somethign worthwhile, if you dont' go do get some other form of traning because its super useful in life.

Oh and also when you get to about 26 - 27 its quite normal to suddenly have a what on earth am i doing with my life crisis.

Once you choose one carrear path it doesnt' have to be forever.

Make loads of friends and meet loads of different people - dont' be afraid to talk to people who have a different view point from you..

Also save somethign every month - even if its only a fiver and save it for a rainy day.

Save up to do stuff rather than getting credit

Start your pension fund at the earlyest opportunity
  • Options
    I'm much younger than you are so I shouldn't really be answering this question, but this is some advice that my uncle, who has been through a hell of a lot, gave me. It is this:

"Think less, read more, enjoy yourself."

it is my new mantra.