Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chores

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I love living at home :D honestly I don't do much apart from keep my room nice and tidy.

But when I am made to do things I hate ironing and emptying the dishwasher. I don't mind cleaning.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    My clothes are pretty much crease free, you just learn to buy clothes that don't crease

I've been wondering reading this thread, what kinds of clothes require so much ironing! Wash, dry, hang, no wrinkles... ever. Sometimes I'll find a shirt thats been sitting in the bottom of the sock drawer for half a year when I didn't feel like hanging it but throw it in the dryer and bam, no more wrinkels :p
  • Options
    save the planet; ban electric irons.
  • Options
    My clothes are pretty much crease free, you just learn to buy clothes that don't crease

Yea my shirts if you hang them up the creases will fall out so they look fine, they were advertised as such when I bought them :D

My brother insists however that I must iron the correct creases in, it's not about having creases... it's about having the wrong ones :eek:

Needless to say I don't bother.

Still I can see I am the only one who doesn't mind washing up whatsoever, I even find it relaxing :p. I hate also as kermit says how things become a mess a few hours after you spent 20 minutes in a big spring clean and assured yourself you would keep it tidy... sigh
  • Options
    20 mins in a big spring clean? lol
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    When my gf washed up, she did it in 10 mins and there'd always be a bit of juice on the bottom of the glass etc. Particularly if you're eating saucy food it can be a bitch to properly clean off the inside tips of a fork.

I don't have space for a dishwasher, and anyway doesn't it cost a fair whack for a plumber to sort out the wiring/drainage for it. Spending 50p a week for plastic cutlery is cheaper!

I love how I work 80 hours a week, include other constructive stuff like gym and swimming over 100 hours, and you're all calling me lazy for not wanting to waste time non-stop washing up!

so with the 8 hours of sleep you get a night, the 80 hours of work, and the 20 hours of constructive stuff

you have 4 hours a week, so just over 30 minutes a day to get to and from work, see your girlfriend

Are you bullshitting in your many different postd?
  • Options
    20 mins in a big spring clean? lol

Well I've only got my bedroom to do at uni, what I mean is pick up shit from floor put it away in proper places :p. And general tidy of desk / sink etc.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    so with the 8 hours of sleep you get a night, the 80 hours of work, and the 20 hours of constructive stuff

you have 4 hours a week, so just over 30 minutes a day to get to and from work, see your girlfriend

:yes: I was beginning to smell a rat too
  • Options
    I hate vacuuming and mopping. I end up doing all the housework because my flatmate is a dirty pig and does nothing, and it just gets to the point where I can't stand it any more. I've lived there since mid-February and he hasn't ever vacuumed, mopped, cleaned the bathroom and the one time he cleaned the kitchen he announced it like he deserved some kind of prize. I clean the kitchen every time I use it, I never feel the need to announce it. Grrr.
  • Options
    Washing up. I only do it so that I've actually got a cup to use next time though. No-one else bothers doing it. I also hate hanging out my washing - can never do it properly.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

Nope, that makes sense. Stuff like swimming, gym my girlfriend was with me too, and slept with me each night. Commuting to work takes less than 2 minutes (its next door) and eating dinner takes me 15 mins. I hate free time doing nothing productive / constructive (hence feeling shit this weekend wasting too much time on the internet), so love my schedule of 2 jobs @ 80 hours/wk + other hobbies 20 hours + 8hrs sleep a night. Try organising a tight schedule like that and see how much more you'll be able to achieve in your life, making the most of it all. And before anyone starts, I'm on a lunchbreak at work..
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Still I can see I am the only one who doesn't mind washing up whatsoever, I even find it relaxing :p.

Nah, I don't mind it either. I find it oddly satisfying getting utensils sparkly clean.

I fucking hate drying up, though. Especially how you can dry about 3 plates before your tea towel gets so soggy that you're actually making the stuff wetter :mad:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Nah, I don't mind it either. I find it oddly satisfying getting utensils sparkly clean.

I fucking hate drying up, though. Especially how you can dry about 3 plates before your tea towel gets so soggy that you're actually making the stuff wetter :mad:

I agree. I just leave the drying up in the rack and put it away later, perfect solution :p
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    I agree. I just leave the drying up in the rack and put it away later, perfect solution :p

yea why bother usin a tea towel!
  • Options
    Aside from the laziness issue...isn't using plastic cutlery/crockery once then throwing it away extremely bad for the environment?

Also, I can't believe nobody's mentioned cleaning the toilet as being the worst chore in the world. I pretty much hate all chores (except tidying...I'm a bit anal about putting stuff away neatly) but cleaning up other peoples' urine splashes and stray pubes has to be the worst thing ever. Oh, the joys of living in a shared house :sour:
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Aside from the laziness issue...isn't using plastic cutlery/crockery once then throwing it away extremely bad for the environment?

nevermind the environment, they're a pain in the arse to use!
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »

The rack's not big enough, so my solution is to get the man to do it. Drying up's a man's job anyway :)
  • Options
    I hate cleaning the toilet and the bathroom. Boyfriend does that and I do most of the other stuff.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Drying up's a man's job anyway :)
    I much prefer to dry up than to wash up.
  • Options
    I cleaned my bathroom trop to bottom yesterday including washing the floor with a cloth rather than a mop and it just feels like such a sense of achievement after doing it. I think thats what makes me not enjoy hoovering; with our cream carpet you can't even tell the difference whether I hoover or not.
  • Options
    Nope, that makes sense. Stuff like swimming, gym my girlfriend was with me too, and slept with me each night. Commuting to work takes less than 2 minutes (its next door) and eating dinner takes me 15 mins. I hate free time doing nothing productive / constructive (hence feeling shit this weekend wasting too much time on the internet), so love my schedule of 2 jobs @ 80 hours/wk + other hobbies 20 hours + 8hrs sleep a night. Try organising a tight schedule like that and see how much more you'll be able to achieve in your life, making the most of it all. And before anyone starts, I'm on a lunchbreak at work..

Both your jobs are next door?
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Not as much as my dad's Land Rover :naughty: I fookin' hate environmental do-gooders. As if me using plastic cutlery is going to make a sodding difference to anything!
    Kangoo wrote:
    Both your jobs are next door?
    I run an IT business from my flat which is next to work.
  • Options
    Not as much as my dad's Land Rover :naughty: I fookin' hate environmental do-gooders. As if me using plastic cutlery is going to make a sodding difference to anything!

If we were all as selfish as you and took that attitude then it would make a hell of a difference. And as for environmental do-gooders, whats wrong with caring about the environment?

In the other thread you said you feel guilty about spending your time on something thats not 'productive enough' but have no guilt in using disposable plates and cutlery. I take it you don't recycle either cos if you can't be bothered to wash a plate after eating I highly doubt you can be bothered to wash out your food containers. Maybe you should think about the environmental impact of what you do and feel guilty about that instead
  • Options
    Is washing food containers environmentally friendly anyway, clean the water, transport the water, heat the water, add detergent to the water, dry with tea towel that you're then going to wash in a washer...
  • Options
    Is washing food containers environmentally friendly anyway, clean the water, transport the water, heat the water, add detergent to the water, dry with tea towel that you're then going to wash in a washer...

I dunno, if you think about it though you don't do all that for one tub, you might 5 or 6 things to clean with the same water / detergent. As for tea towels... I always see them as the perfect way to spread bacteria lol.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    If we were all as selfish as you and took that attitude then it would make a hell of a difference. And as for environmental do-gooders, whats wrong with caring about the environment?

In the other thread you said you feel guilty about spending your time on something thats not 'productive enough' but have no guilt in using disposable plates and cutlery. I take it you don't recycle either cos if you can't be bothered to wash a plate after eating I highly doubt you can be bothered to wash out your food containers. Maybe you should think about the environmental impact of what you do and feel guilty about that instead
    But I'm not talking about everyone else, just myself. It makes fuck all difference to the environment what I do. Similarly no point voting as Tories will win the next election whether I vote or not.

I don't like do-gooders 'cos they often infringe on other people's rights to live how they happily please, and secondly the immense hypocrisy. Like for example you having a go at me in this post for not giving a fuck about the environment, yet if you commute to work you probably cause a lot more damage than I do given I walk/bike pretty much everywhere!

I'm not going to feel "guilty" about wasting time finding recycle bins or whatever. Life's too short and I want to live it to the full, hence guilt over wasting time.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I dunno, if you think about it though you don't do all that for one tub, you might 5 or 6 things to clean with the same water / detergent. As for tea towels... I always see them as the perfect way to spread bacteria lol.

Not if it's a microwave meal that you used a plastic spork to eat... :razz:
  • Options
    Well the plastic that a microwavable meal comes in isn't exactly durable :p so I would chuck it. But talking about tupperware or whatever I wouldn't get rid of it.
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    I much prefer to dry up than to wash up.

Oh I'm the opposite. Growing up they would divide the chores... one kid washes, another dries and the third puts them away. I didn't want to touch the dirty dishes, and I didn't want to be the last one done by being the putter awayer so I alywas dried and it has messed me up :p Because I know you can put the pans and other stuff they made us wash in the dishwasher but they never did... torture... pure tortue.