Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Chores

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What household task do you hate doing the most?

I just washed up for the first time in ages (dad usually does it all :o) and it reminded me why i avoid it as much as possible. Its so horrible. I hate it when all the bits of food off the plates float around in the water and touch your hands. I hate how it makes all your skin wrinkly too. I tried wearing washing up gloves but the sound of them squeaking in the water totally goes through me!

Took me about 40 minutes to get through the big pile that had gathered up at the side of the sink, eww.

i want a dishwasher.

Comments

• Options
    drying dishes or ironing hate them both equally
  • Options
    now i don't mind mopping

tell you what rachie, you do my ironing and i'll mop your floors :p
  • Options
    Ironing, work shirts eugh
  • Options
    There aren't really any set chores. We each pick up our own stuff as there is nothing more annoying than somebody else picking up your stuff and putting it somewhere and you never being able to find it again. And he shrunk my shirts long ago so laundry is seperate too. The rest is usually a collective effort. Though he is a clean freak and I'm a dirty sloppy pig so I clean and then he goes back around and finishes up :lol:

I dont' mind mopping either. All the non carpted floors (minus the bathroom) is wood and I like doing that cuz it smells so nice and gets all shiny and pretty!
  • Options
    Hate ironing, seem to put more creases in than take 'em out. Mopping, especially the kitchen floor. Just seems like i'm pushing around small pools of dirty water with onion skin and peas in it :p Don't mind the washing, got a dishwasher but never use it.

Love cooking, is that a chore ? Don't mind doing the laundry, infact i prfer to do it.
  • Options
    Can stand ironing. Shirts are the worst.

Washing up is a pain, but we have a dishwasher

Laundry ain't much fun either.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Dont keen on dusting. Really cant cook very well. Dont mind vacumming, washing or ironing (when I can get the irorn to work that is)
  • Options
    I've never ironed :flirt:

If it can't be fixed with a spin thru the dryer, then it goes into the dirty close bin. Though the dryer usually does it. Cotton is the best fabric ever ;)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Washing. I hate it. So t'hubby does it :D
  • Options
    Washing up is also the chore I hate so much. I whine about it because it seems to easily take up 30 mins of my free time every day getting everything spotless - its particularly greasy pans when they've been covered in sauce that are so hard to wash.

Though my gf's just left me and she did all the cooking, I can barely cook, and am going tomorrow to buy plastic cutlery - paper plates and plastic knives/forks. I'm being serious, problem solved :)
  • Options
    God I hate all chores, I try and avoid doing anything at all costs. Lol I'm a lazy motherfucker.

When I move in with my girlfriend and her friends though, I'll have to do the washing up and stuff like almost daily... and yeah washing up is GROSS! Espescially when you have to scrape all the grease and fat off a tray because it's all stuck to it....and soggy bits of crust floating around *shudders*.
    I also HATE making my bed....what a mission!! I can never get all the fuckin sheets right and stuff, it's just such a mish, I get so fucking angry with it.
  • Options
    When I was at my flat it was washing up. URRRRRRGH. I had to wash my old flatmate's Christmas crockery/pots he'd used cause we had people over at new year. He'd left them about 5 days, it was rank. The parsnips wouldn't come off of the baking tray, there were wine glasses with fag ash in them. Empty boxes of wine, bottles of beer. :yuck: Messy so and so he was.

Luckily, the worst thing at home at my parents I suppose it just dusting, because my Mum makes me dust in stupid places and it fucks up my nose and I sneeze for a proper 4 hour sesh. Everything else I really don't mind.
  • Options
    Chores are so crap. washing up is pretty shit. I don['t do the hoovering cos the hoover is mega heavy so I get the man to do it!

Today I have to do the dishes, tidy the bedroom and do the ironing. Haven't done anything yet :blush:
  • Options
    I don't like hoovering... it's noisy and hard work :(

I didn't particularly like washing up when i lived in a shared house, but here we have a dishwasher, so i don't mind doing the odd bits that can't go into that :)
  • Options
    Hoovering or ironing. Although I will happily iron if something really needs it...hoovering I can put off for weeks before it actually gets done.

Washing up I love, would rather wash than dry any day, but living on my own means there's enough draining board that I don't need to dry :D
  • Options
    Washing up has never really bothered me but I hate washing clothes / ironing because it takes so long, washing up takes about 2 minutes for me after a meal :shocking: I can see how if you lived with other people and had to do everyones for a week it could take longer though.
  • Options
    As most people I hate washing up, it just takes up so much time and you have to do it constantly.

I hate making the bed too. Or scrubbing the tub. Mainly chores where you have to crouch (I sound 60, I know).

I don't mind hoovering though, I'd happily hoover people's places if they did my crouching chores :D
  • Options
    cleanin up after a bit of a mad party can be a mission (emptying half full tins of beer down the sink that are full of fegs/ash :yuck: )

hate ironing, iron one side of something, flip it over iron the other side then the orignal sides all wrinkley again :(
  • Options
    bluewisdom wrote: »
    As most people I hate washing up, it just takes up so much time and you have to do it constantly.
    I've just bought a ton of plastic plates, cups, knives, forks and spoons. Cutlery is less than 2p each and can be used for a couple of meals a day. No more washing up ever!

I don't mind hoovering..easy to do and makes the place nice and clean.. I have wooden floors so pretty easy to clean up, dust all collects at the sides.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    I've just bought a ton of plastic plates, cups, knives, forks and spoons. Cutlery is less than 2p each and can be used for a couple of meals a day. No more washing up ever!

God you're a fucking idiot
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    God you're a fucking idiot
    What? I utterly hate washing up. I don't have time to waste 20 mins every day washing everything up (it takes me long as I like to do it properly, not have little bits left on plates). Plastic cutlery is cheap and no hassle, if I'm just eating on my own what's wrong with it?
  • Options
    Laundry, specifically taking all the stuff out of the washing machine and hanging it up to dry.

Other than that i don't really mind most things, although not hugely fond of ironing.
  • Options
    haha fair play lazy cunt ye :D

do what i do any time parents are on holiday etc .. just use the one knife/fork/plate and clean it after you use it, no piles of washing up to do!
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Most people who wash up don't tend to leave bits on plates - or is that too obvious?

It doesn't take 20 minutes to wash-up 'properly'. Christ, if you're that lazy then do the world a favour and buy a dishwasher!

Just out of curiosity - what do you use to cook that doesn't need washing up?
    When my gf washed up, she did it in 10 mins and there'd always be a bit of juice on the bottom of the glass etc. Particularly if you're eating saucy food it can be a bitch to properly clean off the inside tips of a fork.

I don't have space for a dishwasher, and anyway doesn't it cost a fair whack for a plumber to sort out the wiring/drainage for it. Spending 50p a week for plastic cutlery is cheaper!

I love how I work 80 hours a week, include other constructive stuff like gym and swimming over 100 hours, and you're all calling me lazy for not wanting to waste time non-stop washing up!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    haha fair play lazy cunt ye :D

do what i do any time parents are on holiday etc .. just use the one knife/fork/plate and clean it after you use it, no piles of washing up to do!

:lol:

That was my method too for many a year!

I'm another who hates mopping, it's just arduous and I never feel I see a result. Don't really mind the other stuff. If you've got a beast of a hoover (I haven't at the moment, sadly) then hoovering can be strangely satisfying...

... note to self - must get out more.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    If you don't like the way your gf washes up then don't let her do it - or better yet, do it yourself if you want such a good job doing.
    I have been doing it myself for the last few months, hence why I hate it so much, even though its only 20 mins or so it seemed to take up such a huge chunk of my free time each evening. Now that my gf's left me I'm using plastic cutlery. I don't see what the big deal is!
  • Options
    I hate ironing. I don't mind most other things, although I hate the way everything is dirty hours after you clean it.

Because of this, we have decided to pay someone to come and clean our house for us. I work hard and, y'know what, paying someone £20 a week to do the crappy jobs I hate is worth every penny and then some.
  • Options
    washing up is lame. I also use plastic stuff where possible and then get my daughter to do the rest for pocket moeny. I don't make beds- what's the fucking point? don't iron, again - what's the fucking point? Most chores I just fucking hate, I get my babysitter to do things like vacuuming once every other week. I keep my bathroom nice though, coz I like to have long relaxing baths, the rest of my house is a bit of a shit tip but I hate chores so...
  • Options
    i dont bother makin the bed half the time but fuckin runnin around in wrinkly clothes!

suppose its different if you're not headin out anywhere as the clothes will straighten out themselves but i wouldnt go out somewhere!
  • Options
    My clothes are pretty much crease free, you just learn to buy clothes that don't crease