Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

why do i need more protein?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i absolutely love pineapple cottage cheese!
  • Options
    i absolutely love pineapple cottage cheese!

:heart: yum!

I'm reading some foods on food-and-mood at the moment and cottage cheese is recommended a lot in there for being a good-mood food :yes:

Edited to say: Incase anyone noticed, I'm obviously reading books on food-and-mood and then eating the food, I'm not actually reading the food like I wrote in this post! Lol!
  • Options
    Good to hear, it has to have some redeeming features given that it looks like a gynaecological upset
  • Options
    oh gross, thanks, just as I was eating too.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Eh?

Read the link I posted. I've taken this from it:

Sample one day's meal plan to meet the RNI of 45g for an adult women.

Breakfast
    Museli (60g or 2oz) 7.7g
    Milk (¼ pint) 4.6g

Lunch
    Two slices of toast (80g or 3oz) 7.0g
    Baked beans (225g or 8oz) 11.5g

Evening meal
    Brown rice (200g or 7oz) 4.4g
    Tofu (140g or 5oz) 10.3g
    Vegetables, Fruit

TOTAL PROTEIN INTAKE 45.5g

That looks easy to me? 45g is not a lot.

More meal/day plans http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/dayplan/index.html

Thats so funny cos i read that whole thing before i posted that and thought everything on that menu woudl make me feel ill - well apart from the museli - if i pick out all the fruit and the brown rice and the brown bread - but bread has so many calories - in it - anyway so if i ate all that lot i'd get 19.1 g of protien - as i pretty much hate all of the high protien stuff posted there...

I have been eating baklava and justifying the extra calories becuase of the nuts - errr though they are terribly terribly calorific........
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Thats so funny cos i read that whole thing before i posted that and thought everything on that menu woudl make me feel ill - well apart from the museli - if i pick out all the fruit and the brown rice and the brown bread - but bread has so many calories - in it - anyway so if i ate all that lot i'd get 19.1 g of protien - as i pretty much hate all of the high protien stuff posted there...

I have been eating baklava and justifying the extra calories becuase of the nuts - errr though they are terribly terribly calorific........

Do you eat chicken? Approx 26g per 100g (which is a medium sized breast).

How about chick peas?

Or even a protein drink.
  • Options
    Do you eat chicken? Approx 26g per 100g (which is a medium sized breast).

How about chick peas?

Or even a protein drink.

I love chick peas and i make myself eat chicken but i'm not that keen on it and in general its produced really badly - so i try to avoid it if possible - unless i'm feeling super flash and i've got up early enough on a saturday to go to the butchers.

But my main point was that i was looking for non meat protien sorces - because i could easily chomp down on a giant steak each day but its super bad for you so i'm trying to only eat red meat once a week. Plus i don't eat fish.

Mais i think i'm going to have to eat loads more lentils - which dont' require soakign and eat more hummus.

The idea of a protien drink makes me feel really ill though - i'm not sure i could swallow it (tweet tweet)
  • Options
    I have some really nice chocolate protein/meal replacement stuff that I have. Just yummy :)

Also, buy free range/organic chicken and you're going to be getting much higher quality meat.
  • Options
    Gah.

I know it sucks being a girl - sob sob
  • Options
    I know it sucks being a girl - sob sob

:lol:
  • Options
    The idea of a protien drink makes me feel really ill though - i'm not sure i could swallow it (tweet tweet)

I actually like drinking the protein shake i buy. If you get something like chocolate flavour its disgusting but strawberry flavour just tastes like any other strawberry drink, seriously. such an easy way to get 20g protein into your body. :D
  • Options
    I actually like drinking the protein shake i buy. If you get something like chocolate flavour its disgusting but strawberry flavour just tastes like any other strawberry drink, seriously. such an easy way to get 20g protein into your body. :D

Lovely stuff

I love the write-up too
  • Options
    But my main point was that i was looking for non meat protien sorces - because i could easily chomp down on a giant steak each day but its super bad for you so i'm trying to only eat red meat once a week. Plus i don't eat fish.

Heidi who is the woman who writes 101cookbooks does loads of non-meat recipies, the high-protein ones are here
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Heidi

Rofl that you think i'm called Heidi - but thanks for the link - i will start my high protien low meat diet on monday me thinks!
  • Options
    The woman who writes 101cookbooks is called Heidi, my poorly placed comma ;):D
  • Options
    you are from now on!!! ;)
  • Options
    Edited... :flirt:
  • Options
    Yeah, but if you looked for it, you could have posted the information up yourself for other people to read... Simple question or not, it would still have been quicker and more fruitful to search for it yourself.

You could have put a link in like this one Vegetarian Society which was the first link displayed when I googled 'Vegetarian protein' (which is a link I have posted before...) which would have also provided pretty much all the other information that anybody could have needed on this topic.

Just a little effort would have yielded many results :)
    I know, I just think sometimes you can be a bit shouty with your google commands. I know I was being lazy, I was half out the door to uni.

ANYWAY I'm having quorn tonight and I had eggs at lunch. And strawberries. mmmm!
  • Options
    I know, I just think sometimes you can be a bit shouty with your google commands. I know I was being lazy, I was half out the door to uni.

ANYWAY I'm having quorn tonight and I had eggs at lunch. And strawberries. mmmm!

Just frustration.... Not meaning to be shouty. Hell, if you were SG, I would have gone to town ;):lol:

:p

Commands? :lol: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well, maybe.
  • Options
    I actually felt honoured to do her googling for her though. dont be too cross
  • Options
    Prawns are a good source of protein and are low in calories... oh and they are yummy too :)