Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cantonese style sweet and sour?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between cantonese style sweet and sour chicken and sweet and sour chicken balls?
whenever i've ordered takeaway ive just asked for sweet and sour - is it likely ive been given cantonese style or balls? :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Depends on the takeaway, at my mum's place if you just ask for sweet and sour you'll get the cantonese style, if you ask at my dad's restaurant they'll give you chicken balls.

Chicken balls are in thick chip shop batter and usually come with the sauce in a polystyrene cup.

The cantonese/hong kong style is usually chicken fillet fried in a light batter and chopped into pieces/slices. Sauce will also probably have some or all of pineapple/onions/peppers/carrot.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldnt have though chicken in batter would be a big part of chinese culture though.

Both are nice though.
  • Options
    batter balls ftw!
  • Options
    How disgusting does chicken balls sound, what a marketing plan there :p

Like chicken rings at white castle or chicken crowns at bk. Chicken isn't supposed to come in shapes :p

Sweet and sour chicken is delicious though, as long as its not shaped! I feel lucky that I've never heard of chicken balls before.
  • Options

Sweet and sour chicken is delicious though, as long as its not shaped! I feel lucky that I've never heard of chicken balls before.

chickballs.jpg

:yum::yum:
  • Options
    Yes... that is sweet and sour chicken... in ball form. I"m not a tard I could have guessed what they looked like :p
  • Options
    tard
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I wouldnt have though chicken in batter would be a big part of chinese culture though.

Both are nice though.

It isn't, lol. A lot of the first chinese people to settle over here couldn't actually cook very well, hence dishes like sweet and sour chicken balls were invented. It's about as chinese as a balti dish is authentically indian.

Chinese food you get here is a lot different to the chinese food you get in america, which is a lot diffferent to what i'd eat at home. All about catering to the taste of the people of the country you are in and for cooking stuff in large quantities and quickly.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    chickballs.jpg

:yum::yum:

I have to say that looks vile :sour:
  • Options
    no, it looks yummy. As soon as I have finished my draft essay I am going to get chinese and watch a movie. What to have though, what to have? I'm too distracted by thoughts of food to write... damn.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    no, it looks yummy. As soon as I have finished my draft essay I am going to get chinese and watch a movie. What to have though, what to have? I'm too distracted by thoughts of food to write... damn.
    Pick me something up and a dirty movie. Ta.
  • Options
    I'll get a sacry one then I can snuggle into you for the bad bits and after... we'll make our own dirty movie.