Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Finding your own style...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i feel like i have a multiple personalities in my wardrobe. i have a very gothic edgy look, and then i've got a glastonbury hippy look, and then i've got a 40/50 chic look...

and i'd really like to try and find one kind of almalgemation (sp?) of all of these rather than having a complete style change everyday....

any ideas how to achieve this...?

and were i can start finding new stuff that isn't expencive, thats not primark/peacocks/charity shops/ebay...something a bit more original...

Comments

• Options
    You won't get more original than charity shops!
  • Options
    whats wrong with having multiple styles?
  • Options
    i can't seem to find any that are good and don't charge silly amounts! the nice ones in notting hill and stuff are soooooooo expencive

plus i just can't seem to put it all together, very look seems disjointed uncoordinated and naff...maybe its because my body is disjointed uncoordinated and naff

i need some gok wan!
  • Options
    whats wrong with having multiple styles?

Yeah, true. I have total split personalities when it comes to dressing, just go with what feels and looks right for you at the time. You don't have to have a cohesive wardrobe... more fun if you don't, I think.

Charity shops in London could well be expensive and crap, didn't think of that really. They're great in Newcastle, not that that's much help for you, oh but there's definitely a good Oxfam in Hackney too :D
  • Options
    You should look for clothes around the middle/end of sales when the prices have been lowered multiple times, thats what i do! Also why don't you try looking for timeless pieces instead of trendy seasonal pieces, i have some clothes from 2002 and could still wear them if i was still the same bloody size.

Ok, i'm sure you have a black pencil skirt, a fitted black blouse and a scarf (red, orange or both would look scrumptuous) for your neck or hair...although id choose hair, thats kind of a merge between all three to me. You probably have some stuff in your wardrobe that already double up for the goth/50's look.
  • Options
    i need some gok wan!

Me too :( I know exactly how you feel, my wardrobe's similarly disjointed...plus I have the added "work" aspect which is pretty much boring tops and trousers which don't reflect my style (or what I'd like my style to be) at all. I'm in a total rut!

Don't really have any suggestions really...what about vintage clothes stores rather than charity shops? Might be a bit pricier but you may well find clothes which sit somewhere between the styles you already have?
  • Options
    I am exactly the same! I am either completely high-waisted 50's-ish, or I'm a total hippie, or I'm oddly mod-ish. I usually don't combine the styles much, because it's always a total failure for me... this thread will be of use.
  • Options
    well, I'm so skint atm, that buying clothes is not exactly really happening, but i found a couple of thrift stores in the east end that have very cheap vintage stuff. I'm wanting to get a trench coat, and a couple of sun dresses. I need something to wear in the summer thats nice and cool, but really daggy, because all i've got is faded t-shirts and ripped linen trousers
  • Options
    Don't go for a certain 'style'. I used to worry about that and even if I liked an item of clothing, if it wasn't my style, I wouldn't buy it.
    Now I buy what I like from any shop, and as mismatched as my style is, if I like it, I feel confident and happy in it. & that's the most important thing.