Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

parents.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think I was 'around' as a board user when this happened and I had no idea.

Belatedly, I'm so sorry you've been through Hell and back but it sounds like you and your brother are just the most amazing people. Liverpool John Moores is a great uni and Liverpool is a gorgeous city full of students, I imagine he'll have the same up-and-down and completely brilliant time at uni that the majority of students do.

And, yes, it is completely normal to feel as protective as you do. Even though he was 18, you put yourself in loco parentis and there are emotional consequences to that. But I don't think that's something to be feared.
  • Options
    I don't have any great words of wisdom here, I just wanted to nip in and say that firstly you are amazing and lovely and I am still in awe of the way you have dealt with everything that happened, and secondly it's so totally normal for you to be feeling this way, especially after all the two of you have been through together. You know that the worst can happen, so of course you're going to worry. What you just have to keep reminding yourself of is that it's really, really unlikely that anything bad will happen to him.

Sounds a bit weird, but maybe try and find some resources aimed at parents sending a child off to uni - there might be some useful advice. They are all the same feelings!

*hug*
  • Options
    ^^ pretty much what Kaff said.

You've done so well to manage and cope with everyone and its fantastic your brother has had such success to!
  • Options
    thank you, beautiful people :heart:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kaff wrote: »
    I don't have any great words of wisdom here, I just wanted to nip in and say that firstly you are amazing and lovely and I am still in awe of the way you have dealt with everything that happened, and secondly it's so totally normal for you to be feeling this way, especially after all the two of you have been through together. You know that the worst can happen, so of course you're going to worry. What you just have to keep reminding yourself of is that it's really, really unlikely that anything bad will happen to him.

Sounds a bit weird, but maybe try and find some resources aimed at parents sending a child off to uni - there might be some useful advice. They are all the same feelings!

*hug*

:yes:totally, don't think I can put it better than this. I think your levels of awareness and emotional insights are amazing...really happy you came back to share all this with us too and hope the process of getting it out in the open helped.

:)