Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Breaking the habit of a lifetime.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, I figured this would go in here 'cause there's nowhere else really to put it.

Basically, when I was three I started sucking my thumb. I am now 19-nearly-20 and I am still doing it. Not only has this completely fucked up my teeth and made one of my thumbs shorter than the other, it's also highly embarrassing and I feel like a bit of a twat.

But I can't stop myself doing it :(. I usually do it when I'm in bed although I do have a tendency to do it when I'm bored. I've pretty much decided that it's a comfort thing, but that doesn't help, really.

Has anyone got any tips on how to stop? I reeeeeeally want to because I do feel really daft when I do it, even though Rich doesn't mind. Plus, no matter how long my other nails get, the one on that thumb will not grow past a certain point.

Comments

• Options
    Either put some of that nasty tasting stuff that people use to help them stop biting their nails or just don't think about stopping. For years when I wanted to stop biting my nails I thought about stopping but when I started not thinking about it I stopped.
  • Options
    I should have remembered to point out that that stuff doesn't work :p. I just keep sucking until it goes away :|.
  • Options
    get someone to slap you each time they see you do it ;)
    or forfit each time you catch yourself doing it - you'll learn.
  • Options
    learn to love sucking your thumb, imagine what terrible habbit you'll end up replacing it with if you quit.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    learn to love sucking your thumb, imagine what terrible habbit you'll end up replacing it with if you quit.
    What, like smoking?

Oh, wait....

Thing is, I do want to quit before I have kids because I don't want my kids to see mummy doing it and them think it's ok then they'll have the same teeth problems I've got and stuff.
  • Options
    I dunno, I think you find your own thumb rather than it being a learned behaviour. I suck my thumb but my daughter doesn't and neither does anyone else in my family that I know of.
  • Options
    Really? I guess that's true, since my mum doesn't suck hers but my older sister used to suck her finger in a really bizarre way then I started sucking my thumb and my twin sucked her finger too. None of us did it the same though.

Awesome, maybe I won't bother then ;o.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All babies suck their thumbs at some time. It's just that most people stop doing it.
  • Options
    All babies suck their thumbs at some time.

hmmn, I don't think so actually, no more than they would suck their toes or other stuff that accidently got into their mouths. Some babies intentionally suck, like enjoy a dummy or suck their thumb, some don't even want to.

Franki, are you sure sucking your thumb did anything to your teeth that wouldn't have ahappened anyway? I thought that was an old wives tale. The thumb nail thing, now that I know from experience to be so.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    hmmn, I don't think so actually, no more than they would suck their toes or other stuff that accidently got into their mouths. Some babies intentionally suck, like enjoy a dummy or suck their thumb, some don't even want to.

Franki, are you sure sucking your thumb did anything to your teeth that wouldn't have ahappened anyway? I thought that was an old wives tale. The thumb nail thing, now that I know from experience to be so.
    I am absolutely sure. Between the front of my top teeth and the top of my bottom teeth there is a massive gap where I've pushed the top ones forwards and the bottom ones backwards.

Also, Indrid, I never started sucking my thumb til I was three, so I don't think all babies DO suck their thumbs :p.
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I used to be reallllllyyy bad with sucking my thumb. I ended up with braces for years cuz I had this massive gap inbetween my top two front teeth and could fit straws through it. My dentist suggested allsorts to try to get me to stop. It started by tying a sock on my hand at night but I somehow in my sleep, untied it and woke up with my thumb in mouth. THEN, the doctor suggested putting a cardboard tube on my arm so I couldn't bend it. This wasn't nice and it only stayed on a few hours as I was screaming :blush:. Thennnn, my Mum put mustard on my thumb to stop me sucking it. This worked because I hatehatehate mustard.

Maybe try putting something you hate on your thumb? It worked for me and it took me years to stop.
    I can suck my thumb with disinfectant taste on my thumb and not stop. Mustard etc wouldn't work ;(.

When did you get braces? I have a huge gap too and I got told that braces couldn't help me ;(.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I should have remembered to point out that that stuff doesn't work :p. I just keep sucking until it goes away :|.
    It didn't stop me biting my nails either :lol:
  • Options
    my cousin still still sucks her thumb and she will be 18 this year. she also, has had braces in the past. somehow her nails survive.
    i think its cute!!
  • Options
    what about a glove? taped around your wrist so you cant move it?!
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I never knew that.

I would try gloves etc and the simple stuff first though :)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    I never knew that.

I would try gloves etc and the simple stuff first though :)
    Never knew what?

I have tried gloves. I suck them and then when my mouth goes all clothy I take them off.

I'm really, really bad.
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of something reeeeeally gross to dip your thumb in :chin:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of something reeeeeally gross to dip your thumb in :chin:
    I can thing of a couple of things... And one of them is on her.
  • Options
    Is there a food or something you really hate?
  • Options
    Wrap it in elastoplast plaster strip stuff (the stuff that's tape rather than the plasters with lint and stuff) because that tastes pretty rank! It's uncomfortable to suck too.
    My sister has messed up her teeth a bit from thumb sucking, she's always done it and still does now at almost 18 years. Her teeth kind of go up a bit in the middle and don't quite meet the bottom ones. They don't stick out or anything though.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Is there a food or something you really hate?
    I dunno if there's anything I hate enough to not just keep it on there til it's all sucked off. Something HOT might work but I dunno if it will or not.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Franki wrote: »
    Never knew what?

That Stace had braces, plus I'm sure you'd stopped thumb sucking too.

Nowt interesting.
  • Options
    Dip your finger in chilli powder.
  • Options
    apparently if you actually knew what kinda germs and shit get under your finger nails you;d never put them never ya mouth!!!
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    apparently if you actually knew what kinda germs and shit get under your finger nails you;d never put them never ya mouth!!!
    Oh, I know! But I still do :(. Like, I currently have bleach remains on my thumb from cleaning my bathroom. Tastes NASTY and I'm still doing it :/.
  • Options
    did you try the plasters thing yet?
  • Options
    did you try the plasters thing yet?
    I've done it before and it never worked then :/. I might try it again but I don't have any plasters and haven't really got time to go out and buy more atm.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I was just thinking, if you made it reeeally huge and bulky with plasters before you go to bed then you wouldn't be able to suck it!
  • Options
    Haha I will try :).
  • Options
    awh franki. i know i sound patronising but that is really cute!

i can only really suggest will power. it will be hard but reward yourself when you go to suck your thumb and then don't.