Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tories to ban lesbians from IVF treatment if 'father figure' not present

Lesbian couples should be blocked from having IVF treatment unless they agree that a father figure would be involved in the upbringing of their child, the Tories said yesterday.

In a sign of David Cameron's determination to campaign for traditional parenting, the Tories challenged the government to guarantee that couples seeking IVF treatment would have a "male role model" for their child.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/stemcells.medicalresearch?gusrc=rss&feed=uknews

So for those who might have been tempted to vote Tory at the next election, a reminder that far from a viable alternative to Labour that has become modern and moderate party, they remain the same bunch of cunts as always.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not that it isn't mental but it's worth bearing in mind that this simply strengthens the current legislation around IVF treatment which talks about 'the need for a father' - so it's already weighted against a lesbian couple.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Not that it isn't mental but it's worth bearing in mind that this simply strengthens the current legislation around IVF treatment which talks about 'the need for a father' - so it's already weighted against a lesbian couple.

Exactly, as those of you who listened to Today in Parliment last night on Radio 4 will know. The 'need for a father' is in the current guidelines the Tories want to put them in the law itself, I personally cant see why given the IVF treatment people have to follow the guidelines.
  • Options
    Yes but haven't some lesbian couples received IVF treatment in this country?
  • Options
    I think so, though couldn't be certain. I'm not questioning that this proposal makes it harder for them to get that treatment, if it was enacted, just pointing out that the law already makes judgements around this - so it isn't something that they've just suddenly thought of out of nowhere.
  • Options

It would actually weaken it by changing it from 'the need for a father' to a 'male role model'.

The bill as a whole is pretty grotesque, to say that the government has 'lost the plot' is an understatement.
  • Options
    I think so, though couldn't be certain. I'm not questioning that this proposal makes it harder for them to get that treatment, if it was enacted, just pointing out that the law already makes judgements around this - so it isn't something that they've just suddenly thought of out of nowhere.
    That's fair enough, but that they felt the need to highlight this issue and go out of their way to make life more difficult for lesbians goes to show that far from becoming a more moderate and modern party, the Tories are going back to their traditional right wing bigoted ways.

This is all the more worrying because as things look at the moment the Tory Party does not need to appease the Right- they appear to count with the support of mainstream voters which would be more than plenty to win them the next election.
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    It would actually weaken it by changing it from 'the need for a father' to a 'male role model'.

The Tories were ridiculed for this in Parliment, they were asked how a doctor is supposed to know whether Uncle Fred really is committed to the baby.
  • Options
    What about gay men, do their children need mother figures?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That's fair enough, but that they felt the need to highlight this issue and go out of their way to make life more difficult for lesbians goes to show that far from becoming a more moderate and modern party, the Tories are going back to their traditional right wing bigoted ways.

This is all the more worrying because as things look at the moment the Tory Party does not need to appease the Right- they appear to count with the support of mainstream voters which would be more than plenty to win them the next election.

The Tory party never changed; they've just kept shtum while watching the media destroy Labour, and Labour destroy themselves. (Call Me) Dave Cameron occasionally tries to chip in with some ridiculous policy (e.g. Hugging Hoodies, £20 to married couple etc.) in a vain attempt to prove that The Tories have changed, but they have to be careful not to draw too much attention to policies as they'd be soon exposed as the same fuckers they've always been.

The problem with this country - and two party politics, in general - is that people think "i don't like Labour any more, so i must like The Tories (or visa-versa)". It's head-slappingly ridiculous. Still, as has been stated before, opposition parties don't win elections the party in power loses them.

ON Topic: "traditional parenting" - There isn't an emoticon that comes anywhere close to showing the despair, amusement and anger that shit like inspires in me.
  • Options
    Doesn't 'male role model' help lesbians more than 'father figure' as it doesn't imply a sexual relationship with the mother figure, or that they share a residence, or even provide any care, whereas 'father figure' implies that for me as it stands.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What about gay men, do their children need mother figures?

they can't have IVF.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    they can't have IVF.

Yes they can. A friends brother in law had it as he had a really low sperm count, but his partners eggs were fine so they had IVF to help her conceive.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    they can't have IVF.

yeah, low success rate
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Yes they can. A friends brother in law had it as he had a really low sperm count, but his partners eggs were fine so they had IVF to help her conceive.

a gay man had eggs? wtf?
  • Options
    Katralla
  • Options
    But IVF is still useless to 2 men.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Katralla

so, where isthe gay man who had IVF then?
  • Options
    Two gay men can totally conceive using IVF. It's just it's not that common as no dude really fancies squeezing a sprog out of his jap's-eye.
  • Options
    I meant as in surrogacy sorry, two gay men can have a child with no mother figure. So what's wrong with having no father figure?
  • Options
    I read somewhere that a male role model is essential in a childs upbringing. I don't think lesbians should be forbidden using IVF treatment but they should make an effort for a male figure to be there at times during the childs upbringing.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I read somewhere that a male role model is essential in a childs upbringing. I don't think lesbians should be forbidden using IVF treatment but they should make an effort for a male figure to be there at times during the childs upbringing.

:yes: Completely.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    But IVF is still useless to 2 men.

No it's not. If 2 gay men want a biological child with a woman and both of them have low sperm count (or whatever reason they can't conceive through sex) then they can make use of IVF.
  • Options
    oh yeah. I was thinking of it from the invasion perspective as only being a woman's procedure. forgot about that angle.

doh!
  • Options
    No it's not. If 2 gay men want a biological child with a woman and both of them have low sperm count (or whatever reason they can't conceive through sex) then they can make use of IVF.
    I meant 'only' 2 gay men. As in no woman.
  • Options
    Male role models are indeed essential as children, particularly boys, grow up in life. I have seen some of this myself. When I was dating a single mum a few years ago, I soon started to worry about her son. Over the years, she'd been in a string of relationships with inappropriate men - you know the sort, those bastards who use women for sex and nothing more, the sort of filth that gives all us men a bad name. I started to get very concerned, thinking that, if this is how he saw his mother being treated, that he would grow up to behave in the same way towards women. Would he have done so? I will never know, but the fear was always there. However, I suspect such a fear would also exist if a young boy saw his mother being beaten up by a vile, domestic abusing man.

My personal view of this is that children need to have two parents. I don't especially care what gender they are, to be frank, as long as there's two of them. Regardless of what sex the parents are, children need male and female role models in their lives, and they need to come from somewhere or other. It doesn't necessarily have to be a father, it can be a brother, uncle, cousin, close confidante of the family... whatever. As long as there's somebody.
  • Options
    What I'm finding interesting is that it seems to be only men who are insisting on a male role model in this thread.

I'm not saying you're wrong, at all, it's just very interesting.

And I'm sorry, but it's bullshit to say that you have to know the identity of the father to receive IVF (mentioned in this article is just patronising.
  • Options
    I think it's ridiculous to insist on it. Whilst some people may view it as the preferrable way to bring up a child it is slightly condescending towards not only lesbians but single mums who have done an amazing job at bringing up their children.

Can single women have IVF?
  • Options
    If its so neccessary to have a 'stable' male figure in a childs life, why don't they legislate against single mothers? While having a father figure may be ideal, the fact that so many children are feral in spite of coming from two-parent families, shows that any advantages are not neccessarily enough to impose legislation of this kind.

In my experience, most of the children I have met of lesbian couples seem very happy and well-adjusted. This is probably because lesbian (gay) couples consider a child a priviledge rather than a right, and concentrate on being the best parents that they can be.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    If its so neccessary to have a 'stable' male figure in a childs life, why don't they legislate against single mothers? While having a father figure may be ideal, the fact that so many children are feral in spite of coming from two-parent families, shows that any advantages are not neccessarily enough to impose legislation of this kind.

In my experience, most of the children I have met of lesbian couples seem very happy and well-adjusted. This is probably because lesbian (gay) couples consider a child a priviledge rather than a right, and concentrate on being the best parents that they can be.

:yes:

I don't think that children need a father figure either, apart from the fact that they may be picked on for not having a Daddy.

I think that it is far more to do with having a loving family who listens, nurtures and disciplines. I don't see how it makes any difference if the child has same sex parents, than if the child has parents who are from two different ethnic groups.
  • Options
    Can single women have IVF?
    Theoretically the same legislation would prohibit single women.