Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religious Symbols in Schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,
Yesterday i was listening to BBC asian network and there was a talk going on about weather religious symbols should be allowed to wear or not in schools of UK or not and weather they should follow the French model for this.
I personally think that there should not be any ban on wearing any religious symbol in school or whatever place u are.

But I don't understand this "civilized world", at one hand they talk about personal liberty, personal expression bla bla bla and on other side they are taking the fundamental rights of a person, what a contradiction? then i think when taliban were in Afganistan then they were right doing whatever they like, because its their country and they can make any law what they like so i think this so civilized world has no right to tell them what to do and what not to, if this civilized world can do this why not they?

And then this so called "Civilized world" impose a war on them and kill many innocent people, shame on this fu** "Civilized World".

Comments

• Options
    But I don\'t understand this \"civilized world\", at one hand they talk about personal liberty, personal expression bla bla bla and on other side they are taking the fundamental rights of a person, what a contradiction?

Not really.If you understand the legal consequences of sending a child to school, there is no contradiction.
  • Options
    I personally think that there should not be any ban on wearing any religious symbol in school or whatever place u are.

Is your opinion based on the belief that children should be allowed to wear anything they want in school? Or are you attempting to give special rights to beliefs that people describe as religious, rather than something such as taste in fashion? To me, the only argument is whether kids should have to wear a uniform. If you decide the answer is yes, then it must be the same for everybody.
  • Options
    Is your opinion based on the belief that children should be allowed to wear anything they want in school? Or are you attempting to give special rights to beliefs that people describe as religious, rather than something such as taste in fashion? To me, the only argument is whether kids should have to wear a uniform. If you decide the answer is yes, then it must be the same for everybody.

Strongly agree. If you agree that schools should have a uniform then it's a rule which should apply to everyone.
  • Options
    Strongly agree. If you agree that schools should have a uniform then it's a rule which should apply to everyone.
    :yes:

We weren't allowed jewellery of any kind except for studs/small hoops in each ear. If someone else got to wear a cross around their neck because it was their "religion" I would have been highly pissed off.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

We weren't allowed jewellery of any kind except for studs/small hoops in each ear. If someone else got to wear a cross around their neck because it was their "religion" I would have been highly pissed off.
    And no doubt the next day certain characters would come to school with 1kg gold crucifixes hanging from their necks :no:
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

I'm not sure i would be pissed off if somewhere i was working started making exceptions for religious dress, but i'd sure as hell take it as a cue to be able to start wearing a top hat and Flavour Flave clock the next day.
  • Options

I think that there should be a ban. If it is a private school run by a certain faith, then fair enough. But a government school should be 'symbol free' because government should be 'religion free'.
    But I don't understand this "civilized world", at one hand they talk about personal liberty, personal expression bla bla bla and on other side they are taking the fundamental rights of a person, what a contradiction?

Well, once outside of school, they can wear what they like. You are being very general here because 'personal liberty' and 'personal freedoms' is not a free-for-all to go out and do thing things that may be detrimental to the society at large. There has to be some personal responsibility with those freedoms.
    then i think when taliban were in Afganistan then they were right doing whatever they like, because its their country and they can make any law what they like so i think this so civilized world has no right to tell them what to do and what not to, if this civilized world can do this why not they?

And then this so called "Civilized world" impose a war on them and kill many innocent people, shame on this fu** "Civilized World".

Were the Taliban voted into power? Did they retain power through popular vote? No! They held power by violence against their own people. So it wasn't 'their' country to do as they will. And you think that is 'right'?
  • Options
    Overt religious/political paraphernalia should be banned in all state schools. Promoting religious superstition in a place of education is absurd - schools promoting a religious agenda (whether it's Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc) should not be in receipt of any state funding whatsoever.

It's bad enough (but unavoidable) that parents/family/communities force religious beliefs on children - unfortunately that's something we can't stop. But schools at the very least should be a refuge from religious brainwashing. Schools should be an environment where religion can be assessed in a rational and intellectual light - and children should be allowed to learn in an environment free from religion and the symbols of it.
  • Options
    i dont see the point in banning religious clothing as its only people expressing themselves. No different to wearing gang colours etc.
  • Options
    Uniform rules should apply to all pupils at the school. If that means a plain necklace with a small token is acceptable, then so be it. If that means no jewellry, then so be it.

We were allowed one pair of plain studs, a plain gold or silver coloured necklace with a small token and no other jewellery. All jewellery had to be removed for sport. I personally felt that was a very fair system.
  • Options
    i dont see the point in banning religious clothing as its only people expressing themselves. No different to wearing gang colours etc.

Since when have you been allowed to wear gang colours in school?
  • Options
    i dont know. I never had a gang. I just see it as much the same thing.

As someone mentioned the way they do it in france. Im pretty sure most schools in france have no uniform at all, so im not sure why they single out religious clothing
  • Options
    As someone mentioned the way they do it in france. Im pretty sure most schools in france have no uniform at all, so im not sure why they single out religious clothing

Whilst most French people are Catholic, France is a secular state and there is a strict separation between Church and State. Quite rightly, religion is viewed as a private affair - and religious instruction is confined to private religious schools which do not receive state funding. (Religious teaching in a state school is illegal).
  • Options
    Whilst most French people are Catholic, France is a secular state and there is a strict separation between Church and State. Quite rightly, religion is viewed as a private affair - and religious instruction is confined to private religious schools which do not receive state funding. (Religious teaching in a state school is illegal).
    Vive La France!
  • Options
    but it also means that a lot of muslim women for example miss out on school because of not being able to wear correct clothing, and there is quite a high muslim population in france too. Id rather everyone had the same chance to an education. A ban on religious clothing effectively puts a stop to it in some denominations.
    Its all very well for the catholic majority who dont have a dress code to make rules
  • Options
    but it also means that a lot of muslim women for example miss out on school because of not being able to wear correct clothing, and there is quite a high muslim population in france too. Id rather everyone had the same chance to an education. A ban on religious clothing effectively puts a stop to it in some denominations.
    Its all very well for the catholic majority who dont have a dress code to make rules

I agree. I'm not quite sure on where I stand on this issue, but I know that the state should not deprive anyone of education, and preventing muslim girls from wearing headscarves will definitely restrict the education of some girls.
  • Options
    I agree. I'm not quite sure on where I stand on this issue, but I know that the state should not deprive anyone of education, and preventing muslim girls from wearing headscarves will definitely restrict the education of some girls.
    It's not the State that'd be depriving the girls of an education.
  • Options
    it is really, and it wouldnt surprise me wrt france. They dont have the best reputation for trying to integrate minorities
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I don't see a problem with this ban. Religion is something that should be kept outside of education at all times, as it really doesn't help. This is as religion likes to dismiss facts in favour of blind belief of myth, most of the time.

"Oh no, we didn't evolve, God made us."
    "No such thing as global warming!"

Also, school isn't the place for kids to get divided when thier parents say "Don't associate with other religions" - if thier are no symbols, they can't tell, and they can befriend others - then when they find out they are of differing belief - they will question why they shouldn't like them - as they see they are nice people.
  • Options
    Overt religious/political paraphernalia should be banned in all state schools. Promoting religious superstition in a place of education is absurd - schools promoting a religious agenda (whether it's Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc) should not be in receipt of any state funding whatsoever.

It's bad enough (but unavoidable) that parents/family/communities force religious beliefs on children - unfortunately that's something we can't stop. But schools at the very least should be a refuge from religious brainwashing. Schools should be an environment where religion can be assessed in a rational and intellectual light - and children should be allowed to learn in an environment free from religion and the symbols of it.

Brainwashing... superstition... Jeez. This is nonsense. Why should children learn in an environment free of religious symbols? Symbols are everywhere. They are often ambiguous. We are never free of symbols. But actually, they don't generally hurt either. 'Protecting' children from crosses and whatnot is patronising and doesn't achieve anything. The argument in here as far as I can see is about whether individuals should be permitted to wear religious jewellery. Do you honestly believe that children see someone wearing a crucifix necklace, affix their gaze to it, drool and become committed to learning the catechism?

Even if the argument is extended to whether schools can put a crucifix on their walls, sing hymns, make the children pray, teach the kids about Christianity above other religions... my school did all that. Were we brainwashed, led mindlessly into 'superstition'? Of course not. It depends on your upbringing, your own temperament and has almost nothing to do with what the teachers say. School for young kids - hell, all kids - is about playing. I attended Sunday School because I got to play there, then when it stopped being fun, I stopped going. At regular school my friends and I would sing the wrong words to the hymns on purpose; we learnt the pre-lunch prayer by rote and that's all it was: some boring words we had to say. We never really talked about Jesus much though we heard about him enough, and there was never any sense from most people that they thought of Noah, Moses, the Good Samaritan and all those guys as anything more than characters from some good stories. Some people did believe, and it would be a snooty thing, and against the other evidence, to suggest that they had absolutely no control over it, or that they couldn't have reassessed their beliefs - and kept them or renounced them - at a later date.

When people act like this stuff is dangerous I think they're forgetting what it was like to be a kid. We didn't have tiresome attitudes towards religious belief either; those come later when people start regarding Dawkins as their God.
  • Options
    Hi all thanks to all about their kind reply and i really have to say that it has change my point of view about this topic in some respect but only if i see this topic from that perspective where i see religion equals any other things, like someone said if school can ban jewelry or any other stuff from wearing then why not religious symbols, and that person is very much right about that thing but i think we should not see this thing from that respect.

But before i say anything i should clear that i am not a religious person but an anti to religion but there is something which i think make me think its their right, so what is that?

Actually we have to see it from factual point of view and that is that, people in majority out there belief on religion and they believe it like they can deny even sun rise but cannot say there is something in their religion is wrong or anything, so when a child brought up in a house where these thing become part of their body and at once saying them remove it would not be good plus there is some kind of respect which religion has (i don't think it should be but as a matter of fact its out there) so we have to take care of that as well because people can get furious if we say something about their religion.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Were the Taliban voted into power? Did they retain power through popular vote? No! They held power by violence against their own people. So it wasn't 'their' country to do as they will. And you think that is 'right'?

Actually different countries have different methods of making Govt. Not every one go through voting so cannot say illegal if that country has different system.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think anything that's acceptable for people to wear in public in general, should be acceptable for students (and teachers) to wear in a school.
  • Options

Not really. Religion is a choice, and so anyone who opts to do something because it's against their religion is depriving themselves of that opportunity. And where do you draw the line? If you allow headscarves, then you can make exactly the same argument for girls wearing full burkhas.

You say that France doesn't have a uniform, but it depends on how liberally you interpret the word uniform. They presumably have some sort of dress code in the school, which applies to everyone. Personally, I wouldn't be in favour of a school that had no formal uniform banning religious attire specifically, although I see no reason why if the school banned a particular article (jewellery or head wear for example), then they should have to make an exception for religious forms of said articles. I can undestand why they do it though. For the same reason that someone would presumably be sent home for wearing a t-shirt with an offensive remark on; to avoid conflict. But personally, I don't see the difference between wearing a t-shirt saying "Jesus Loves You" and one saying "Iron Maiden. Just like I don't see the difference between banning a turban and banning a baseball hat.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    It might be very sad, but I think far more people would stop going to school if they can't wear such things there, than stop wearing them.
  • Options
    Actually different countries have different methods of making Govt. Not every one go through voting so cannot say illegal if that country has different system.

So crushing peoples' lives by forcing women to cover up at all times, restrict them from education, force men to grow beards, banning music, banning kite flying, banning sport, killing anyone who opposes their interpretation of their religion etc without the mandate of the majority of the population, is 'legitimate' government? That is not 'government' - that is oppression.
  • Options
    Brainwashing... superstition... Jeez. This is nonsense. Why should children learn in an environment free of religious symbols? Symbols are everywhere. They are often ambiguous. We are never free of symbols. But actually, they don't generally hurt either.

There's nothing wrong with a world full of symbols. That's quite different from giving a child a symbol and saying "this is what you are." And allowing children to wear headscarves and suchlike emphasises the differences between them from a very young age, and labels them with the religion of their parents, when they couldn't even explain to you the basic metaphysical claims of that particular religion. A child isn't a Muslim or a Christian any more than they're a Tory or a Marxist. The whole reason that we have uniforms is to try to go some way to removing these differences between children and get them to socialise without prejudice. Allowing exceptions for religion completely destroys this concept. Argue with the concept of uniforms if you want, but understand that allowing religious exceptions to uniforms is removing the very reason for having uniforms in the first place.
    Some people did believe, and it would be a snooty thing, and against the other evidence, to suggest that they had absolutely no control over it, or that they couldn't have reassessed their beliefs - and kept them or renounced them - at a later date.
    So the fact that 70% of people stick with the religion they are born with is the result of them objectively considering their position later in life and deciding that the religion that they were brought up in just happened to be the correct one out of thousands of possibilities? Give me a break. People stay with their religion for a variety of reasons. But the main one is because they're never taught to objectively question it, and are never taught about all religions equally. They are told from a young age that they are a muslim, or whatever, and they become comfortable with that identity and set of traditions even if they don't actually really believe any of it. There are a hell of a lot of cultural Christians, for example. You've got to go to church on Sunday, because you don't want to upset granny, for example. Now I think that's more of a parenting and upbringing issue, and you can't do much about it except to try to change attitudes through debate and discussion, but I don't think that the government should be facilitating it by funding things like faith schools.
  • Options
    yES BOY LEARNING WE LIVE IN A CIVILISED PLACE WHere we are free...err no we aint actualy cos the people who make the decisions about what we can and cannot do are very like a lot of people on these boards ...they have become fervent believers in NO CHOICE BUT MINE. We are becoming more limited in what we can say or do and even think. There are people who not only want to stop you have ing religous symbols but stop you having religion full stop. These kinds of people are paranoid control freaks. Anything they don't understand or agree with they want banned.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    So crushing peoples' lives by forcing women to cover up at all times, restrict them from education, force men to grow beards, banning music, banning kite flying, banning sport, killing anyone who opposes their interpretation of their religion etc without the mandate of the majority of the population, is 'legitimate' government? That is not 'government' - that is oppression.
    I think its taking this whole discussing somewhere and we can create another thread to discuss this but simle answer to this question is that whats the problem with this domacracy which is causing the blood of hundreds of people daily. Believe me i am not favouring which they were doing but what US and UK Govt has done in Iraq and Afganistan is not right as well.
  • Options
    I think its taking this whole discussing somewhere and we can create another thread to discuss this but simle answer to this question is that whats the problem with this domacracy which is causing the blood of hundreds of people daily. Believe me i am not favouring which they were doing but what US and UK Govt has done in Iraq and Afganistan is not right as well.

A lot of people here think that we in the west are so nice that we only maim and kill the people in other countries ...cos we care.