Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The museum tour from hell

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How about educating children in ways to stay healthy and avoid hospitals. If everyone had perfect health then no-one would be working in a hospital. That would be bad for business, wouldn\'t it ?
    :confused: I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. In any case, 'perfect health' is unattainable. There are such thing as genetic and hereditary conditions, accidents, mishaps...

I still fail to see what it all has to do with religious brainwashing and telling lies.
  • Options
    How about educating children in ways to stay healthy and avoid hospitals. If everyone had perfect health then no-one would be working in a hospital. That would be bad for business, wouldn\'t it ?

I agree that kids should be taught how to eat well, stay healthy and be given a sound skill set of food prep' skills. However, you've made a bad logical leap taking that to mean you could maintain a state of "perfect health", negating the need for hospital workers - that's just a bit silly.

If you were to draw parallels between this religious "museum" tour and teaching kids about health you'd have to have kids being taught that exclusively eating jars of mayonnaise was a healthy lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    The basic point is that you are constantly being bombarded with sales pitches. The ones you disagree with or do not want to buy will usually end with you labelling them religious propaganda,lies, evil. The ones that look attractive are given to more complimentary adjectives.

C\'est la vie.
  • Options
    Let's make something perfectly clear: the Earth is not a few thousand years old. Dinosaur fossils are real and tens/hundreds of millions of years old. And this planet and its lifeforms were created over billions of years.

Regardless of what else wants to believe, those are undeniable, proven-beyond-doubt facts.

Therefore to tell children the world is only a few thousand years old or that the T-rex was a herbivore is nothing but brainwashing and lies.

And can't possibly be compared with taking children to see a hospital in action; or a factory, farm or anything else of such nature.
  • Options
    I guess there will be no time or room for a course on zeteticism in your school then ?
  • Options
    The basic point is that you are constantly being bombarded with sales pitches. The ones you disagree with or do not want to buy will usually end with you labelling them religious propaganda,lies, evil. The ones that look attractive are given to more complimentary adjectives.

C\'est la vie.

You're just plain wrong, i'm afraid. Teaching kids conclusions, taking Science or Maths as examples, which have been reached through evidence, critical thinking, testing and peer review, isn't the same as teaching kids pseudo-scientific clap-trap through the thin guise of a "museum".
  • Options
    I guess there will be no time or room for a course on zeteticism in your school then ?

Kids should be taught critical thinking and source evaluation skills at school. Absolutely.
  • Options
    That seems a naive view if I got it right. They are institutions of propaganda.
    Yes they are. Partly because people like this are running them. Reinforcing lies such as the idea that prayers actually do something, every day that they attend the school, along with other such bullshit.
    I have heard of school trips to the local hospital, no doubt selling the product to the young mind. Don\'t forget that recruitment teams from the armed forces visit schools.
    I assume you know that the NUT recently voted against allowing army recruiters in schools for this very reason? And what "product" is this that the hospitals are selling? Presumably any product they are "selling" would be one based on facts and evidence, rather than a bunch of unfounded lies peddled by museums and zoos such as these (actually, I think that the first museum was a genuine one, and it was just the tour guide who makes a living out of lieing to children). I remember having a presentation in primary school about how to brush your teeth correctly. This is a presentation backed up by mountains of peer-reviewed, clinical evidence in the field of dentistry. If it was being run by Listerine, you might have a point. But the NHS has no interest in increasing its burden of future patients. State-funded educational trips should be trips based on the scientific facts available to us at any given time.
    Schools are key stages of propaganda.
    Care to back that up with examples of non-factual information being given to kids? But either way, you attitude seems to be "there's already a load of propaganda in schools, so these additional lies should be allowed." Well what a wonderful attitude. I'm sure the next generation of rocket scientists and brain surgeons will be educated with a policy like that. :rolleyes: If that is your attitude, then surely you should be against all forms of propaganda in schools?
  • Options
    And what "product" is this that the hospitals are selling? Presumably any product they are "selling" would be one based on facts and evidence, rather than a bunch of unfounded lies peddled by museums and zoos such as these (actually, I think that the first museum was a genuine one, and it was just the tour guide who makes a living out of lieing to children). I remember having a presentation in primary school about how to brush your teeth correctly. This is a presentation backed up by mountains of peer-reviewed, clinical evidence in the field of dentistry. If it was being run by Listerine, you might have a point. But the NHS has no interest in increasing its burden of future patients. State-funded educational trips should be trips based on the scientific facts available to us at any given time.

I beg to differ. The burden of future patients is increasing all the time, and that is good business. That is what all enterprises desire.

I assume your presentation in primary school included brushing with fluoride toothpaste, which plenty of clinical evidence (WITHOUT a vested interest) has shown to be hazardous to your health. Then again, if you did keep your teeth in good shape that would be bad for the dentistry industry. I can understand why they would not inform you. They probably have bills to pay like everyone else.
  • Options
    Care to back that up with examples of non-factual information being given to kids? But either way, you attitude seems to be "there's already a load of propaganda in schools, so these additional lies should be allowed." Well what a wonderful attitude. I'm sure the next generation of rocket scientists and brain surgeons will be educated with a policy like that. :rolleyes: If that is your attitude, then surely you should be against all forms of propaganda in schools?

Propaganda tends to work better along the lines of economy with the truth , rather than lies.

I do not care what propaganda schools put out. I have no control over (nor wish to have) the contents of products that others are peddling. My suggestion was that if someone does find a product agreeable then do not buy it. It seems to me to be somewhat of a waste of energy to attack.
  • Options
    Propaganda tends to work better along the lines of economy with the truth , rather than lies.

I do not care what propaganda schools put out. I have no control over (nor wish to have) the contents of products that others are peddling. My suggestion was that if someone does find a product agreeable then do not buy it. It seems to me to be somewhat of a waste of energy to attack.
    Schools do not put out, or certainly it isn't in the Curriculum to put out, any propaganda whatsoever.

Taking the kids to a hospital has nothing whatsoever to do with propaganda.

But lying to children during suppossedly science and history lessons with false religious claims certainly is.

As it happens many if not most schoolchildren already get plenty of religious propaganda- at RE lessons.

So there is no argument and no excuse whatsoever for lying to them and trying to pass out superstitions and claptrap as science.

You certainly appear to have a rather weird concept of what propaganda means.
  • Options
    I beg to differ. The burden of future patients is increasing all the time, and that is good business. That is what all enterprises desire.
    Yes, you've already said that. But you've again failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to back up your point of view. But that doesn't surprise me from someone who considers science education based on evidence to be the same as religious preaching disguised as science.
    I assume your presentation in primary school included brushing with fluoride toothpaste, which plenty of clinical evidence (WITHOUT a vested interest) has shown to be hazardous to your health. Then again, if you did keep your teeth in good shape that would be bad for the dentistry industry. I can understand why they would not inform you. They probably have bills to pay like everyone else.
    Nope, they didn't specify a type of toothpaste. It was an instruction in how to brush effectively, not what to use. Of course, if you knew anything about insurance, you'd realise that they'd want as many paying customers who don't cash in on their dental plans with expensive surgery as possible, like any other form of insurance. Now again, if you want to point to any evidence for your conspiracy theories, I'm all ears. Until then, like the people who run this zoo, I'll treat your opinion as the rantings of a madman.
  • Options
    Yes, you\'ve already said that. But you\'ve again failed to provide any evidence whatsoever to back up your point of view. But that doesn\'t surprise me from someone who considers science education based on evidence to be the same as religious preaching disguised as science.

It would seem a basic teaching of any business course to show that repeat business is a major ingredient of success. Not many enterprises could survive without it. If you want evidence just look at any commercial activity. Repeat business is HIGHLY desirable.

(If you take the NHS as an example, their repeat business and growth is staggering. That is one hell of a business to be in. In the last decade alone their business has almost tripled).

Science education based on evidence is a vague term. (Then again, so is religious preaching). Quantum physicists have been at each other\'s throats for the past century arguing about what conclusions SHOULD be drawn from evidence gathered.
  • Options
    Nope, they didn\'t specify a type of toothpaste. It was an instruction in how to brush effectively, not what to use. Of course, if you knew anything about insurance, you\'d realise that they\'d want as many paying customers who don\'t cash in on their dental plans with expensive surgery as possible, like any other form of insurance. Now again, if you want to point to any evidence for your conspiracy theories, I\'m all ears. Until then, like the people who run this zoo, I\'ll treat your opinion as the rantings of a madman.

I doubt that you have evidence of any rantings on my part because there have not been any, so it could be argued that you are adopting faith ahead of the scientific method in the way you treat my opinions.

You also seem to be confusing two different industries: dentistry and insurance. I would agree that the purpose of the insurance business is to collect as high a premium as possible and to pay out as little as possible. They are very successful at that. The dentistry business is a whole different ball game.
  • Options
    Science education based on evidence is a vague term. (Then again, so is religious preaching). Quantum physicists have been at each other\'s throats for the past century arguing about what conclusions SHOULD be drawn from evidence gathered.
    Then you teach the evidence. There is a clear scientific process that needs to be taught in science classes in school. That you seem to have little understanding of it, and seemingly fail to see the difference between that and just making things up, doesn't in the slightest make these religious views in any way part of science.
    I doubt that you have evidence of any rantings on my part because there have not been any, so it could be argued that you are adopting faith ahead of the scientific method in the way you treat my opinions.
    The fact that you are willing to assert things without evidence is evidence in itself that you share the same sort of thought processes as people such as the ones running such institutions.
    You also seem to be confusing two different industries: dentistry and insurance. I would agree that the purpose of the insurance business is to collect as high a premium as possible and to pay out as little as possible. They are very successful at that. The dentistry business is a whole different ball game.
    You pay your monthly fee, and if something goes wrong, the dentist will fix it for free. It's exactly the same as insurance, which is why it's called dental insurance.
    (If you take the NHS as an example, their repeat business and growth is staggering. That is one hell of a business to be in. In the last decade alone their business has almost tripled).
    The fact that you consider it a commercial enterprise is hilarious. Now if it was GlaxoSmithKline doing the hospital tours, you might have a point. But another important point is that even if you did have a tour of the GSK labs, it wouldn't actively be attempting to sabotage an existing school subject. If you had a maths-based tour to a facility that without evidence claimed that 2+2=5. Unless it's used as an example of bad science, and encourages children to see this, then it's a bad idea. And bear in mind that in the case of a lot of American children seen in the first clip, this will be the only thing that they will be taught. That not only destroys their education on the specific topic of education, but it destroys their education in the scientific process (which they use to judge all future scientific claims) because creationism, intelligent design, whatever you want to call it does not follow the scientific method. It certainly has a place in schools as part of cultural and religious study, but to poison science classes with it ruins the education of children.
  • Options
    The fact that you are willing to assert things without evidence is evidence in itself that you share the same sort of thought processes as people such as the ones running such institutions.

What have I asserted without evidence ?

You pay your monthly fee, and if something goes wrong, the dentist will fix it for free. It\'s exactly the same as insurance, which is why it\'s called dental insurance.

What you have described IS the insurance industry. You have contracted with an insurance company, not with a dentist. It could be car insurance, for example. You do not contract with a body repair shop or mechanic. The insurance company contracts with them.(However the body repair shop or mechanic are hoping that there is much amiss with your car whereas the insurance company obviously wishes for the opposite).

The fact that you consider it a commercial enterprise is hilarious. Now if it was GlaxoSmithKline doing the hospital tours, you might have a point. But another important point is that even if you did have a tour of the GSK labs, it wouldn\'t actively be attempting to sabotage an existing school subject. If you had a maths-based tour to a facility that without evidence claimed that 2+2=5. Unless it\'s used as an example of bad science, and encourages children to see this, then it\'s a bad idea. And bear in mind that in the case of a lot of American children seen in the first clip, this will be the only thing that they will be taught. That not only destroys their education on the specific topic of education, but it destroys their education in the scientific process (which they use to judge all future scientific claims) because creationism, intelligent design, whatever you want to call it does not follow the scientific method. It certainly has a place in schools as part of cultural and religious study, but to poison science classes with it ruins the education of children.

What my considerations and your hilarity have to do with it, I do not know. The NHS was created sometime between Nov 1946 and July 1948 as a corporation doing business providing healthcare. The current turnover is in excess of 90 BILLION GBP, the corporation has more than 1.5 million contracted employees. It is one of the biggest corporations in the world, and business is booming by anyone\'s standards.

GSK will do whatever is in the best interests of the GSK corporate charter, in effect maximising shareholder return. But as I said earlier that is life. I am not criticising them for it, nor the NHS corporation. It is merely business.

(And that may be wise for any parent to consider as part of their child\'s education).
  • Options
    What have I asserted without evidence ?
    That the NHS is a corporation (addressed below). That children are taught propaganda. That being blind belief without evidence. Furthermore, you've not even begun to make a case as to why that makes teaching them propaganda in this case justified. If anything, all it shows is that other instances of propaganda need to be addressed.
    What you have described IS the insurance industry. You have contracted with an insurance company, not with a dentist. It could be car insurance, for example. You do not contract with a body repair shop or mechanic. The insurance company contracts with them.(However the body repair shop or mechanic are hoping that there is much amiss with your car whereas the insurance company obviously wishes for the opposite).
    And who do you think the dentists work for? They provide dental services to the insurance companies. If the mechanic shops worked exclusively on the back of insurance company business (and a specific insurance company at that), then you would have a point. But that is the key difference between the two. And as such, dentists are under a huge incentive to avoid any expensive medical complaints among their patients.
    What my considerations and your hilarity have to do with it, I do not know. The NHS was created sometime between Nov 1946 and July 1948 as a corporation doing business providing healthcare. The current turnover is in excess of 90 BILLION GBP, the corporation has more than 1.5 million contracted employees. It is one of the biggest corporations in the world, and business is booming by anyone\'s standards.

GSK will do whatever is in the best interests of the GSK corporate charter, in effect maximising shareholder return. But as I said earlier that is life. I am not criticising them for it, nor the NHS corporation. It is merely business.

(And that may be wise for any parent to consider as part of their child\'s education).
    You can draw all the parallels you want, but there is one huge difference between the two: the NHS has no aims of making a profit. I assume you would draw exactly the same parallels about the government in general. But the fact that none of the people actually running these "corporations" share your anarcho-capitalist view of the aim, mean that they aren't run with the aims of any other coorporation (profit for shareholders). Which is exactly why you can only point to the turnover of the NHS, and not the profits.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry for the off-topic, but seriously: What kind of browser are you using, that keeps adding \ before characters like ' ?
  • Options
    That the NHS is a corporation (addressed below). That children are taught propaganda. That being blind belief without evidence. Furthermore, you've not even begun to make a case as to why that makes teaching them propaganda in this case justified. If anything, all it shows is that other instances of propaganda need to be addressed.

Corporation : an association of individuals, created by law or under authority of law, having a continuous existence independent of the existences of its members, and powers and liabilities distinct from those of its members. (from http://dictionary.reference.com )

National Health Service Act 1946.

Propaganda :information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc. (from http://dictionary.reference.com )

I never attempted to justify anything, nor do I have any inclination to do so. I was merely reporting the facts, and somewhat curious as to why it made some angry. If other people's children are your concern, does that make you a crusader ? Maybe. If it is your own children then why allow them in an environment that you disagree vehemently with ?

And who do you think the dentists work for? They provide dental services to the insurance companies. If the mechanic shops worked exclusively on the back of insurance company business (and a specific insurance company at that), then you would have a point. But that is the key difference between the two. And as such, dentists are under a huge incentive to avoid any expensive medical complaints among their patients.

The dentists work for anyone who will contract their services. It could be an insurance company. It could the NHS corporation. It could even be individuals.
    You can draw all the parallels you want, but there is one huge difference between the two: the NHS has no aims of making a profit. I assume you would draw exactly the same parallels about the government in general. But the fact that none of the people actually running these "corporations" share your anarcho-capitalist view of the aim, mean that they aren't run with the aims of any other coorporation (profit for shareholders). Which is exactly why you can only point to the turnover of the NHS, and not the profits.

It may have a corporate charter stating that, but if you study the small print, you will get words like surplus mentioned. I guess some see profit as a dirty (political) word.
  • Options
    I never attempted to justify anything, nor do I have any inclination to do so. I was merely reporting the facts, and somewhat curious as to why it made some angry. If other people's children are your concern, does that make you a crusader ? Maybe. If it is your own children then why allow them in an environment that you disagree vehemently with ?
    Well generally speaking, parents don't have a choice as to whether to put their children in such environments. Unless you have the money to pay for private tuition, or the time and expertise to do it yourself, then state school is the only education on offer to you. But caring about how other people treat their children doesn't make one a crusader. I assume we all care about how Josef Fritzl treated his children, for example. I have the right to air my views on what I consider to be abhorant, even if I don't believe I have the right to stop it (and I don't think parents should be stopped from teaching their children whatever they want). What I do believe I have the right to attempt to stop, is the spreading of these lies through taxpayers (i.e. my) money.
    It may have a corporate charter stating that, but if you study the small print, you will get words like surplus mentioned. I guess some see profit as a dirty (political) word.
    And the surplus never goes into the pocket of the shareholders, like it does in private business. It always get invested in providing a better service. You can't swing this as a profit-making business, no matter how you care to write it. Incidentally, I haven't heard the word surplus being used in reference to the NHS for a hell of a long time. Even if the surplus was used in an area not related to the NHS, it would still be invested in some other area of service to taxpayers. Shell might claim they put a huge amount of their profits into new technologies, but even after that, there is still a profit for the owners. You cannot say that about the NHS orthe wider government. Unless you've been given your share of the government surplus recently?
  • Options
    I will say in advance that I havent read the whole thread but I have found a few of the comments slightly insulting which I'm aware wasn't the idea being them.

I'm a teacher and I am VERY careful about how I teach RE so are all of the teachers I know. I never ever teach children that God is the truth and the bible only speaks of the truth in the same way that I don't tell them that they have to wear the five ks. Its very clearly set out in the curriculum that children should learn about religion objectively, I teach using the vocabulary of "Christians believe that....a b and c" or "Muslims believe in....". I don't know any teacher that doesnt do that. RE is a really inportant part of the curriculum as it encourages children to consider their own views and those of the people in their world. I never even discuss my own beliefs with my class because I don't want to encourage them to have the same beliefs as me just for the sake of it.

Its true that there are organisations that are keen to get propaganda into schools but there is no way I'd take children on a trip without checking the place out first. I have about 6 risk assessment forms to fill in for me to legally be allowed to take children out of school anyway, lol. I have known religious groups bring books into school that look harmless enough but on second glance they are full of religious teachings.
  • Options
    That's good to hear Raggydoll, and I don't think anyone here was questioning the the skill or integrity of teachers.

Even though I am against religious indoctrination of children, as things stand in this country at least we have a clear separation between science lessons and RE lessons. But some of the things that go on the US and the efforts of fundies here to infiltrate science, history and geology lessons here worry me greatly.