Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Average UK income?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What is it? I keep finding figures for separate regions but I want to know what it is for the whole of the UK.

Comments

• Options
    last time i heard im sure it was around £26k but ive nothing to back that up, just a hunch.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    We were told £22k at school, not that have got a source for it was just said in a careers thingy

Someone (Whowhere?) said that on here a while back I think.
  • Options
    last time i heard im sure it was around £26k but ive nothing to back that up, just a hunch.

I heard £24k. I can't remember if that was household income or individual income though.
  • Options
    I'm told it was £24,000. However, without knowing where exactly such a figure originally came from, I am led to believe such a figure may be absolute bollocks.
  • Options
    I'd be well happy on 24k!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I'd be well happy on 24k!
    and me!

i'm only on £13000 :(
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    What is it? I keep finding figures for separate regions but I want to know what it is for the whole of the UK.

It would be fairly pointless info since region, education etc. does matter and the average quoted seems to vary from source to source.

The last stat I saw for UK average was for uni graduates who are now aged 25-30 and it was £27,500 pa.
  • Options
    i've seen regional figures thrown about lots, cos i know ours is one of the lowest at about £15k or something. pretty poor really.
  • Options
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    and me!

i'm only on £13000 :(

Awwww I'm on 15k but last year I was barely scraping 10k! Hmph :impissed:
  • Options
    i wont go in to how much i earn cos its not something i think people should do, but its more than local average but it just pisses me off that we still cant afford to buy a house, well we could but it'd certainly be in a area we wouldnt want to live.
  • Options
    i wont go in to how much i earn cos its not something i think people should do, but its more than local average but it just pisses me off that we still cant afford to buy a house, well we could but it'd certainly be in a area we wouldnt want to live.

thats because most in burnley/pendle are on benefits and have a million children.

Most don't buy houses, the council give them out willy nilly - in places which you would rather sleep in a cardboard box than buy a house.

:no: can you tell I'm looking at moving abroad :grump: lancashire :grump:
  • Options
    rough estimate for uk as a whole in 2006

gdp: 1209344 (000s)
    total number of jobs: 31276

income ~38.6k

Sauce

not too accurate though but should be close enough.
  • Options
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    thats because most in burnley/pendle are on benefits and have a million children.

Most don't buy houses, the council give them out willy nilly - in places which you would rather sleep in a cardboard box than buy a house.

:

Oh deary deary me ...
  • Options

:no: can you tell I'm looking at moving abroad :grump: lancashire :grump:

ha you cant say anything you live in the nice part! i'd eat my own arm to own a house where you live (not literally)

probably about 100k would buy somewhere i'd want to live here...maybe a bit less in the current climate
  • Options
    Oh deary deary me ...

she does kind of have a point, not very well put, but kinda...

only new stuff that ever opens round here are pubs or bookies, should tell you something

edit: i wouldnt change it for the world tho, i love it round here, i honestly do
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    rough estimate for uk as a whole in 2006

gdp: 1209344 (000s)
    total number of jobs: 31276

income ~38.6k

Sauce

not too accurate though but should be close enough.

ignore that was acrap way of working it out

does household income help?: http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_03/023WEALTHIESTAREAS_800x407.jpg
  • Options
    she does kind of have a point, not very well put, but kinda...

only new stuff that ever opens round here are pubs or bookies, should tell you something

edit: i wouldnt change it for the world tho, i love it round here, i honestly do

ah he's just a twat anyway :D

Having said what I said, I wouldnt move back to the posh southern village I lived in for nothing. Prefer it up here :thumb:
  • Options
    Calm down the pair of you,

And i mean it, i dont want to have to send you both to the naughty corner!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Calm down the pair of you,

And i mean it, i dont want to have to send you both to the naughty corner!

you don't need to. Just give us both free footy tickets - afterall - it solves EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    To be fair i think it would be cheaper for me to get drugged up and addicted, and then clean up and go to a free newcastle match, considering it cost me £50 the last time i went :(
  • Options
    There was a programme on the BBC a little while ago that said the average UK income was in the region of £22k a year, although in the south it was roughly £24-26k, something like 40% of the population fit into that wage bracket, with only about 10% earning more.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    To be fair i think it would be cheaper for me to get drugged up and addicted, and then clean up and go to a free newcastle match, considering it cost me £50 the last time i went :(
    It was free for me :p
  • Options

::
    Well for those of them who have an internet connection ...i think we should warn them that they and their opinions aren't welcome in here by certain memvbers.
    Are council house tenants ...the unemployed ...single mothers etc ...to be discouraged from coming into this place?
    To save offending certain peoples senses ...or lack of them?
    No of course it shouldn't put them off ...just me reading things into it that aren't realy there ...
  • Options
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=285

£457 a week according to that, or £23,764 p.a
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote:
    There was a programme on the BBC a little while ago that said the average UK income was in the region of £22k a year, although in the south it was roughly £24-26k, something like 40% of the population fit into that wage bracket, with only about 10% earning more.

You've got to take average wages with a pinch of salt though. They're usually inflated by the fact that they're mean averages, which means all of those people on 6 and 7 figure salaries are putting the average higher than most people earn. The median average seems to be about £4k lower than the mean. But then you also need to know whether the average includes part time workers or not. But I think the figure of £22k you mentioned is a median average for all workers based on a few articles I've read.
  • Options
    On the programme they split the population up into a pyramid, seperated by income, the largest group were in the 22k-24k bracket.
  • Options
    Nice to be comfortably above it :D
  • Options
    Nice to be comfortably above it :D

I count myself very lucky that I am able to earn well above that, and yet would still find it hard to buy a half decent property in London.

Again, I count myself lucky that I already own in another part of the country.
  • Options
    Shelter says £900 per week is the annual for a household..... so generally 2 adults ..450 a week .... x 52 = 23,400 is the average income.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    I count myself very lucky that I am able to earn well above that, and yet would still find it hard to buy a half decent property in London.

Lol i think i'm very lucky that i was able to buy somewhere in london when i earnt well below the average wage!