Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Italy elects ultra right wing crook again

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/15/italy1

So the question is, are these people masochists, or do they actually share Berlusconi's rather unpleasant views and beliefs, and approve of his dirty dealings?

Maybe it is the former. This is going to be the 62nd government formed in 63 years (I kid you not) so perhaps the Italians simply see government as a form of opera.

Oh well. Like a certain former ruler of Italy (and I suspect secret hero of his) perhaps Berlusconi will at least ensure the trains run on time :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Apparently loads and loads of the smaller parties were dumped this election, he is in shared power with only two other parties!!!

Gone (so its said) are the days of endless deals and ever changing governments.
  • Options
    Never mind what kind of man Berlusconi is - look at the number of people who turned out to vote. The Grauniad complains that the turnout of 82% was lower than the 85% who voted in the 2006 general election. They shouldn't be too downbeat about it - in Britain, we're lucky to even get a 60% turnout in one.
  • Options
    Operatic italianos! Maybe it's a nostalgia for the theatrical 'Duchi'; well, perhaps the 'oochi' will make the garbage trucks run on time :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Italy is crap at governments non-shocker.
  • Options
    Meh, Italy doesn't really change, they just go with the flow of the world and who ever is in charge or looks like being in charge. I can't really be bothered, i mean, it is their country, their elections, their choice and they know all about the guy after all these years so, bravo to him for his ability to stick around.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Meh, Italy doesn't really change, they just go with the flow of the world and who ever is in charge or looks like being in charge. I can't really be bothered, i mean, it is their country, their elections, their choice and they know all about the guy after all these years so, bravo to him for his ability to stick around.
    Well not quite so bravo when the 'ability' in question is passing laws to make himself immune to justice, bribery, corruption and a near-total control of State television.
  • Options
    Hey, that guy is a genius, he planned ahead for the rainy days and he was successful. If i was in the Italian system i would probably do the same, it is no different what he does, then lets say, a student union banning certain newspapers for saying things they disagree with, or forcing Chinese students, who are patriotic and therefore support their country, despite what other nations citizens think of it, from not being allowed to wear chinese flags on their clothes or openly show their support for their country in the same way that Scottish or Irish or Welch people are allowed to show national pride.

In Italy's case it is just on a larger scale by one man and not a group. Frankly just because he is smart enough to succeed isn't something i shall hold against him.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/15/italy1

So the question is, are these people masochists, or do they actually share Berlusconi's rather unpleasant views and beliefs, and approve of his dirty dealings?

Maybe it is the former. This is going to be the 62nd government formed in 63 years (I kid you not) so perhaps the Italians simply see government as a form of opera.

Oh well. Like a certain former ruler of Italy (and I suspect secret hero of his) perhaps Berlusconi will at least ensure the trains run on time :rolleyes:

actually although I can't vouch for the man and his past after living under his goverment for 5 years I found I was no worse off if anything he was trying to make Italy more like the UK (ok thats not a great idea but...) as soon as the oposition got back in they directly reversed anything good he did theres no need to just kick the shit out of berlusconi the oposition should be dead, I'm not refering to his past but what he and his oponents have done in current politics, this is a country whoes goverment care that much about heath and saftey (while we over do it) that 1350 people a year die on the job thats 4-5 a day. politics there IS musical chairs basically its a case of which is the worse of the two ? the place i lived in is under the oposition, members of the council are in with the mafia so hear both sides of the story before knocking the man.

his oponent whilst president of the european parliment made a deal to sell the good italian rice to a german company who sold it under their name and pakaging while we were given the crap german rice in italian branded pakaging, I just wonder how much that deal made him but I suppose over here your not bothered with things like that are you but that is what affects te people. if he is disliked because of his success well its the same old story in italy no one likes to see anyone get on, I remeber taking a picture with my telephoto lens of a distant group of windmills along the motorway that a group of italians were also trying to fathom out but could hardly see them hefty words were used in comments about that "person" (me) was getting a better view than them, they were too stupid to think that I may be fluent in italian. my life in school there was hell just because I made a small effort after being there for 6 months I could read a damn site better than the other 10 year olds in the class, if anything berlusconi is hated more out of jelousy than anything he did wrong
  • Options
    oh and by the way they managed (burlusconis goverment) to ban public smoking about three years before the brits thought about it I was astounded to realise how long it took us must have something to do with profits....
  • Options
    oh and by the way they managed (burlusconis goverment) to ban public smoking about three years before the brits thought about it I was astounded to realise how long it took us must have something to do with profits....

The smoking ban that Britain has however goes a lot further than Italy's. In Italy, separate rooms with smoking are allowed in bars/pubs/etc. Same in Spain, Germany and much of Europe. Britain/Ireland are the exception really in having really extreme blanket total bans on smoking. (Even in the States cigar bars and hookah bars are often exempt).
  • Options
    and whats wrong with that ? you think banning smoking completely in england 3 years later than Italy (a country whose goverment care fuck all about anyone) is better than Italy making 3 years earlier precise regulations for the coexistance of smokers and non smokers and help businesses not loose trade ? if smoking were banned totaly people would not go out, as it happens the stringent rules mean that most places cannot offer a smokers area as it has to be totaly seperate and have certain ventilation you are piking on stupid things - what am I saying ? you are makeing a point outa nothing