Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Veggie/vegan replacements

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Aimed at people who are veggie and vegan, or anybody really...

My friend recommended me Mayola, which is an egg free mayonaise and it is pretty rank to be fair.

I have sucessfully made it barable by adding some plum sauce, black pepper and veg with pasta... Now it's Ok, apart from the aftertaste. :yuck:

I have some veggie and vegan mates who love veggie sausages, vegan mayo, Cheezly (soya cheese), pesto and other products which replicate existing meat or dairy. Personally I think they taste awful...

I try to avoid processed foods as much as possible, not only because of taste but also for health. I will occasionally have a veggie burger, say at a speciality restaurant, but some foods taste too meaty and it puts me off.

What do you think?

Meat-eaters, do you like veggie alternatives?

Comments

• Options
    I bought quorn sausages for the first time in aaaaaaaaaages cos they were buy one get one free. Man they have improved! I was very impressed

I also like veggie hot dogs and vegimince
  • Options
    I'm not vegetarian but I like cauldron's veggie sausages...Waitrose cheese/butternut squash burgers are also really good. :)
  • Options
    Linda McCartney's chicken like southern burgers are quite nice, as long as you have it with some mayo. :thumb:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Meat-eaters, do you like veggie alternatives?

Nope. Generally don't see the point in eating a less tasty replica of something when I can have the real thing. There's a few Linda McCartney ready meals that are OK, but the real versions are always better.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Nope. Generally don't see the point in eating a less tasty replica of something when I can have the real thing. There's a few Linda McCartney ready meals that are OK, but the real versions are always better.

:yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

:thumb: to that guy, i've never understood the thought behind not eating meat but eating thngs made to resemble/taste like meat, just my POV tho.

the odd time i have tried them i havent enjoyed them at all, vege mince in spag bol or something is just about ok, but apart from that i'd rather not eat.
  • Options
    haha, when I read "veggie replacement" I'd much rather just post "meat!"

Why don't you eat normal mayonnaise? As a vegetarian you can just eat normal mayo.

And about vegans. Well, I never actually understood the concept anyway. It's not like you harm that animals you are eating the eggs or drinking the milk from.

Same.
    I like some vegetables and fruits, but I never understood to eat "replacement stuff", because it's just not as good, imho. Maybe an aspect would be healthiness, if the taste isn't considerable different, but I don't eat a lot of meat to begin with, so I happily enjoy the mince in my lasagne.
    :thumb: to that guy, i've never understood the thought behind not eating meat but eating thngs made to resemble/taste like meat, just my POV tho.

Well, I do understand that. About Moral and not wanting sentient beings to die for your nourishment, or have sentient beings be "consumer product". There ARE veggies who like the taste of meat, but aren't eating it for different reasons.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    There ARE veggies who like the taste of meat, but aren't eating it for different reasons.

From an environmental perspective vegetarianism - or at the very least moderation of meat consumption, makes a lot of sense. It's also (generally) cheaper, although I wouldn't say meat substitutes are particularly good value for money.
  • Options
    From an environmental perspective vegetarianism - or at the very least moderation of meat consumption, makes a lot of sense. It's also (generally) cheaper, although I wouldn't say meat substitutes are particularly good value for money.

Totally agree with you from an environmental perspective.
    I disagree however from a tasty perspective.
  • Options
    And about vegans. Well, I never actually understood the concept anyway. It's not like you harm that animals you are eating the eggs or drinking the milk from.

There are issues with how hens and cows are kept, if you keep buying the eggs/milk, then you are supporting that industry which some people don't agree with.

Personally i don't hugely care about it, although i do make the effort to not buy battery farmed eggs/chickens.
  • Options
    There are issues with how hens and cows are kept, if you keep buying the eggs/milk, then you are supporting that industry which some people don't agree with.

Personally i don't hugely care about it, although i do make the effort to not buy battery farmed eggs/chickens.

Yeah, that's the point. battery farmed eggs and free-range eggs remain separated, so if you buy the free-range ones the demand of the battery farmed eggs won't go up (rather down if anything). Maybe they have issues with the farmer stealing the hen's eggs :chin:
  • Options
    I often make bolognese with Quorn mince.
  • Options
    From an environmental perspective vegetarianism - or at the very least moderation of meat consumption, makes a lot of sense.

Depends what you mean really. If this country were entirely vegan, you'd probably need to go to a zoo to see a cow as they would be pointless for farmers to keep
  • Options
    Depends what you mean really. If this country were entirely vegan, you'd probably need to go to a zoo to see a cow as they would be pointless for farmers to keep

I certainly wouldn't advocate the whole country going vegan... I'd never advise anybody to drink soya or rice milk. :yuck:

I don't eat much meat because I try to only get good quality, organic/free range/etc which is expensive. Overall, meat consumption has gone up (50% more than four decades ago). There's obvious benefits in eating less meat but better meat. And supporting British meat rather than getting cheap imports from Thailand.
  • Options

being a vegan for animal welfare reasons maks more sense than being a veggie as the cows offspring is either destroyed or eaten
    Yeah, that's the point. battery farmed eggs and free-range eggs remain separated, so if you buy the free-range ones the demand of the battery farmed eggs won't go up (rather down if anything). Maybe they have issues with the farmer stealing the hen's eggs :chin:

egg producing chickens dont last that long. once they stop layng eggs they are killed whether they are organic free range or battery hens.

all tastes good though
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    egg producing chickens dont last that long. once they stop layng eggs they are killed whether they are organic free range or battery hens.

all tastes good though

Yep, but although not the best existence a free range hen has a lot happier life than one locked in a cage the same size as it's body constantly sitting in a pile of it's own shit.

Also tastes better too.
  • Options
    Yep, but although not the best existence a free range hen has a lot happier life than one locked in a cage the same size as it's body constantly sitting in a pile of it's own shit.

Also tastes better too.

Also much lower risk of salmonella with free range. Obviously the Soil Association would say that but it doesn't take a genius to see how disgusting battery-farm conditions will foster high levels of disease.
  • Options
    I like Cauldron Cumblerland sausages, quorn mince, quorn plain fillets (in curry sauce).
  • Options
    Don't think I've ever tasted veggie alternative foods, what's the point?
  • Options
    I like the taste of them, well the cauldron ones anyway. the quorn "chicken" ones are jsut something to put sauce on, but I do enjoy quorn mince when I make it into a bolognese with vegetables as well. I've been veggie since day one though, so I've never had meat, don't know/care what I'm missing really.
  • Options
    I've been veggie since day one though, so I've never had meat, don't know/care what I'm missing really.

Ignorance is bliss, huh? :razz:
  • Options

Also tastes better too.

Yes, i was using chickens as an example why it makes more sense to be a vegan than a vegetarian when having animal welfare in mind.
  • Options
    I like the quorn pieces rather than mince or fillets. Used to like sos mix sausages when I was a kid, but I have better taste buds now, ha ha. If you want to make a meal that reseambles our cultural norm it does make sense to have some kind of meat replacement on the plate, so I get why people do it. Even though I'm a meat eater, I prefer quorn pieces over chicken as it's just so much easier to deal with and cook with an shit, and it's good value when you can get it BOGOF too.
  • Options
    Ignorance is bliss, huh? :razz:

Certainly is :D
  • Options
    im a meat eater but i love quorn chicken i use that alot instead of real chicken. I also like most of the linda macartney range and asdas veggie fingers and spicy bean and nacho burgers those are great because they aren't made to taste like meat, the only thing i have a problem with is veggie bacon its awful!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    I often make bolognese with Quorn mince.

I used to, but recently tried the Morrison's own version and it's surprisingly tastier imo.

When I was younger I relied on veggie alternatives to meat, these days I rarely have them - I'd much rather eat proper veggie food.
  • Options
    Totally agree with you from an environmental perspective.
    I disagree however from a tasty perspective.

Veggie food can be just as tasty.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Veggie food can be just as tasty.

:yes: Mmmmmmmm
  • Options

Nobody is saying here that the whole country should go vegan. :confused:

From an environmental perspectrive veganism is best. But there are also more factors than just methane and space. Nobody is saying though that people shouldn't be allowed to eat meat or have dairy. Cows are bred for that, many would still be kept.

However, from a cow-intergenerational-justice type stance, less cows would be killed in the long run.

And this is a food forum, not politics. :confused:
  • Options
    I'd agree 'proper' veggie food is very tasty, have yet to find a tasty substitute though.

Sorry, can't really help, I'm a meat eater although do veggie food for kids on Scout camps etc so was looking for ideas.