Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

House prices seem to be crashing

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Not for those of us that are already struggling to meet remortgage payments because we've had to pay over the odds for a house it isn't.

long term you'll be fine. Those who will be hardest hit are those who've got several mortgages to buy investment properties. With them no longer going up in value but still having to meet mortgage repayments they may be interested in selling them now so they don't lose more money, vs. hanging onto them until the economy bounces back.

People who already are homeowners should think long term, long term the value will go up so just keep paying off the mortgage. If you want to move don't worry about negative equity because other house prices will have changed in relation to yours to offset any gain / loss.

This means that if you have a £300k house when you bought it and it goes up to £500k, you might not have any extra spending power because the other houses have gone up too. In this situation what we have seen though is those who are just getting on the property ladder struggle to get the ridiculous sums needed to afford a house.
  • Options
  • Options
    Or those who have remortgaged several times and/or taken out secured loans and watched the mortgage interest rates soar.

Oh yea. :chin:
  • Options
    A property crash would enormously benefit those who don't have all their money tied up in property. Those with hard cash ready to spend can buy whilst it's cheap (and then just wait for prices to go up again - and eventually, they will). I think that's how Alan Sugar made most of his money (from property - not Amstrad).

Although I'd be very surprised if in London and sought after areas there's a 'crash'.
  • Options
    Although I'd be very surprised if in London and sought after areas there's a 'crash'.

There were a few areas of London which actually went up during March, granted it was by 1% but it was a gain.

Most of london prices are now staying the same, and have done for some time now.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    There were a few areas of London which actually went up during March, granted it was by 1% but it was a gain.

Most of london prices are now staying the same, and have done for some time now.

Doesn't surprise me. It makes sense for existing (high) prices to stay the same or slowly increase given that demand is consistently high.
  • Options
    This thread makes the first page of google searches. Ha, we're influential! :D
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    This thread makes the first page of google searches. Ha, we're influential! :D

searching for what?
  • Options
    i cant remember now, it was something along the lines of house market crash..
  • Options
    "shyboy thesite house price crash mortgage slump shyboy shyboy shyboy"

?
  • Options
    "shyboy thesite house price crash mortgage slump shyboy shyboy shyboy"

?

Erm, no..
  • Options
    lol I didn't actually search for it, I was just making a suggestion :p