Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

House prices seem to be crashing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
_44548969_house_price_mar08_226x274.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7336010.stm
BBC wrote:
House prices fell by 2.5% in March, the biggest monthly decline since September 1992, the Halifax has said.

As much as I don't want people to end up in debt (edit: mean negative equity), for someone who may be a first time buyer in a few years this can only be a good thing, surely? I was looking at homes and realistically I want to be spending £60k and I can get something in Wales or Scotland (Ireland is too expensive) - but then I looked at jobs and they're so ridiculously low paid - it might be worth working for McDonalds in either of these areas as the minimum wage affords you so much more 'real' money than it does in central England. (And no doubt the south)

Will we see house prices fall dramatically to allow new buyers onto the market? If they do fall a lot I may ask my brother to see if we can sort out a mortgage arrangement so I can jump on the ladder, as leaving it 4 years may be too late. I don't want to end up like they are in Japan, with 100 year mortgages.

Comments

• Options
    Good, at last
  • Options
    don't worry shyboy you've got at least 5 years before house prices bottom and start turning up again. unless you've got a hefty deposit (25%+) and decent credit rating you won't be able to get a mortgage for the next few years anyways.

ETA: mortgage lending at 16 year low as well, hmm wonder what that means...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7336066.stm
  • Options
    Fantastic news.
  • Options
    I feel bad for my friends who have bought in the last 6 months and their houses are worth less now, but I'm crossing my fingers for a crash as its the only way I'm going to be able to afford even a cardboard box! And I'm living in a cheap area

Thats if anyone will give me a mortgage, me and my boyfriend don't have amazing credit rating
  • Options
    I feel the same way, a bit bad for my friends but hoorah for me. I want to save enough for a depost that I only have to take out a ten year mortgage.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    About Time.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I feel bad for my friends who have bought in the last 6 months and their houses are worth less now
    So long as they weren't planning to sell right away, it shouldn't really affect them in the long term. Unless there is an unprecedented crisis, even if prices come down by 20% soon, they are bound to be higher in 3, 4 years or so. So if your friends were to sell their house in, say 7 years time, their house is almost certainly going to be worth a considerable amount more than what they paid for it, even if there is a crash now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    So long as they weren't planning to sell right away, it shouldn't really affect them in the long term. Unless there is an unprecedented crisis, even if prices come down by 20% soon, they are bound to be higher in 3, 4 years or so. So if your friends were to sell their house in, say 7 years time, their house is almost certainly going to be worth a considerable amount more than what they paid for it, even if there is a crash now.

Yeah :yes: I meant them paying £15-20k more than if they'd waited 6 months more than when they sell on though
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

:no: house prices definitely won't be higher in 3-4 years, look at uk property and land value cycles they are 16-18 years norm, and this one is coming on the back of a global recession.
  • Options
    Good news. The kind of house we'd like to move to about 10 years ago were 70-80k and now they are about 170k
  • Options
    Ok I'm a complete n00b at this sort of thing :p

Will the price drop affect renting aswell?
  • Options
    Ok I'm a complete n00b at this sort of thing :p

Will the price drop affect renting aswell?

Not immediately no, landlords normally have mortages to pay, and those arent going down.

But if there is a glut of properties on the market then yes, rents will come down.
  • Options
    Although the effect on the 'buy to leave vacant' market in London might be more dramatic (although it's questionable how big it was) - if people were buying houses, leaving them vacant and then hoping to sell on at a profit then they may be more inclined to actually rent the houses out (rather than leave them slowly declining in value)

In principal it's something that could at least increase the number of houses being rented out - as is a chance that as house prices decline less landlords being prepared to hold out for higher rents on vacant flats and rooms.

Fingers fucking crossed anyway.
  • Options
    just be careful renting from a recent buyer (last 2-3 years), chances are they will have stretched themselves and as mortgage rates go up they will try and pass on the costs to you.....
  • Options
    It was obvious about two years ago that prices would come down. It became glaringly so about six months ago ...a lot of people have made a lot of dosh.
    The sad thing is the that thousands are about to loose their homes ...Thtachers britain all over again.
  • Options
    Yeah, looking at the rate of the decline in March it's going to be a miserable time for many.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Yeah, looking at the rate of the decline in March it's going to be a miserable time for many.

So if there is an increase in rentable property it will go some way in easing the pain.
  • Options
    I wonder how realistic it is to be thinking:
    woo yeah thats great for me cos then I can afford to buy! woo!

you have to look at the bigger picture - if there is something like a recession looming were all gonna be fucked! if you lose your job you wont be getting that nice semi with the pretty garden youve got your eye on
  • Options
    If it means fewer TV programmes in the next couple of years about smug, jammy middle-class couples wanting to buy two houses, one in London and another in Kent, it's one upside to all this.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    If it means fewer TV programmes in the next couple of years about smug, jammy middle-class couples wanting to buy two houses, one in London and another in Kent, it's one upside to all this.

I watched that today as I like looking at the houses - but it made me furious some professionals from bradford bought a lovely house in Leicestershire for £200k that would make a perfect family home 'cos it was close to the pub' and then another one in birmingham, so they only spend 2 days a week in their Leicestershire house.

I can't get my head round it really. Other than a crash, which might not be massive because there are so many FTBers waiting to jump on, the people who are buying lots of houses are making money on them (except for now), so we were heading towards a kind of feudal age landowner / worker situation, where you would be held to ransom by your landlord for all your hard earned cash whilst they relaxed on holidays living off your hard work.

We'll have to see what happens in the next month. I have a suspicion this article from the BBC could spark a panic, and once that happens people will flood the market with their investment properties and prices will drop dramatically, especially when it appears they might not go up again for a good few years and 'investors' are desperate to get rid.
  • Options
    It was obvious about two years ago that prices would come down. It became glaringly so about six months ago ...a lot of people have made a lot of dosh.

More than that, house prices rise and fall, the minute they start going up you can guarantee that they will come down again.

Can I therefore be the first to predict a future rise in house prices. Just so that I can come back on here and say "I told you so"...
  • Options
    More than that, house prices rise and fall, the minute they start going up you can guarantee that they will come down again.

Can I therefore be the first to predict a future rise in house prices. Just so that I can come back on here and say "I told you so"...
    Now your being silly MOK ...the trick is knowing when these things are going to go up or down and for a lot of people ...this crash has been very obvious ...and a lot of people have timed it right to make a pot. For a lot of people ...doesn't matter how big the writting on the wall is ...they just never see it coming.
    If you have any cash ...get rid of dollars and pounds like yesterday and grab Euros. But no ...some will sleep walk into poverty.
  • Options
    MR - it's been 'obvious' in the sense of course it was going to come, but at the moment we still don't know the scope of it. Will house values plummet like in America, where you can get a house for what would be the deposit on a mortgage over here, or will they take a 10% knock, stagnate for a few years then carry on. From the looks of things, it might be more severe than some observers were anticipating. But as I said, must wait for next month and see if people are panic selling.
  • Options
    Now your being silly MOK ...the trick is knowing when these things are going to go up or down and for a lot of people ...this crash has been very obvious ...and a lot of people have timed it right to make a pot. For a lot of people ...doesn't matter how big the writting on the wall is ...they just never see it coming.

Some people will make money, other "experts" will lose money. That's how it works. Always been the same.

It's easy to predict a crash because sooner or later you will be right. It's been predicted ever since the last one
    If you have any cash ...get rid of dollars and pounds like yesterday and grab Euros. But no ...some will sleep walk into poverty.

If the crash is a wide as you have predicted then the bext thing would be to sell up and go native :p
  • Options
    Has anyone pointed out yet that all that graph does is show that the rate of change going up (percentage wise) is slowing

Prices havnt actually massively dropped.

Personally i might be able to afford a house some day if they do!
  • Options
    Prices dropping is just a cause, a more important question is why are they doing so.

I know here in Iceland the house prices are going down a little because the banks have put much stricter restrictions on who they give mortages. There's not many that can actually buy the properties at this time as there's no money to finance it.

The prices are unlikely to drop too much because if they do I imagine that most normal house owners will just not sell.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Has anyone pointed out yet that all that graph does is show that the rate of change going up (percentage wise) is slowing

Prices havnt actually massively dropped.

Personally i might be able to afford a house some day if they do!

It also shows a strong trend though, which is what I was hinting at when I say - investors see this downward trend and panic sell, further pushing the rate of change down.

It's a good thing anyway, for any market to stay healthy it needs new money and at the minute nobody can afford to put more money into it. If things continue the only way people would be able to get a house would be inheritance, and then we're exactly where japan are.
  • Options
    BlackArab wrote: »
    Fantastic news.

Not for those of us that are already struggling to meet remortgage payments because we've had to pay over the odds for a house it isn't.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure - falling house prices would make that a more realisitic option for me - afterall my salary has still stayed the same and my spending power has now increased - my dream of a flat in chelsea and a house in sussex is now even further within my reach - excellent.

On a more realistic note i'm actually quite excited that it means that i will be able to afford a house in the area i live in now which has a garden for my as yet unconcieved children to play in. Yes the price of my house will come down proportionaly but the hit i will have to take will be less than the hit that the house i plan on buying will take.
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    Prices dropping is just a cause, a more important question is why are they doing so.
    Prices dropping is a cause :chin: ? Prices dropping is a result ...of the credit crunch.